Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Barcelona for a game with an 11 year old - any travel tips?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So, I first have to admit to being a bad fan and a football tourist. When I asked my wife if it was ok to take my son to the Palace game she asked when it was - then looked a bit white. It turns out our surprise Xmas present is a trip to Barcelona to see Barca play Levante the same weekend! Flight back Monday evening so no Palace game :rant: . But, son, as well as being a BHA season ticket holder and England fan is a massive Barca fan and watches loads of Spanish football so he'll be well pleased. However, I am now after some fairly specific travel advice from anyone over there or who knows the current political situation well.

We've got flights and hotel sorted (hotel near Nou Camp) and a ground tour booked for the Sunday morning. I know to use their equivalent of the Oyster card to get around on public transport and how rife the pick pockets are (and how good).

But where I'm unsure is if there's likely to be antagonism between Barca fans and Spanish police at the game. Obviously taking an 11 year old I want to be a bit more cautious than if it was a blokes trip away. Also he's learnt Spanish at school and wants to try it out..Is that advisable? Are people speaking more Catalan at the moment?

I've also read about a large anti-tourist movement there and anti-tourist graffiti. Are we likely to get a less than warm welcome?

Assuming it'll all be ok (which is my default position) then does anyone have any other tips for must see sites or good family places to eat and drink?

Cheers for any info in advance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So, I first have to admit to being a bad fan and a football tourist. When I asked my wife if it was ok to take my son to the Palace game she asked when it was - then looked a bit white. It turns out our surprise Xmas present is a trip to Barcelona to see Barca play Levante the same weekend! Flight back Monday evening so no Palace game :rant: . But, son, as well as being a BHA season ticket holder and England fan is a massive Barca fan and watches loads of Spanish football so he'll be well pleased. However, I am now after some fairly specific travel advice from anyone over there or who knows the current political situation well.

We've got flights and hotel sorted (hotel near Nou Camp) and a ground tour booked for the Sunday morning. I know to use their equivalent of the Oyster card to get around on public transport and how rife the pick pockets are (and how good).

But where I'm unsure is if there's likely to be antagonism between Barca fans and Spanish police at the game. Obviously taking an 11 year old I want to be a bit more cautious than if it was a blokes trip away. Also he's learnt Spanish at school and wants to try it out..Is that advisable? Are people speaking more Catalan at the moment?

I've also read about a large anti-tourist movement there and anti-tourist graffiti. Are we likely to get a less than warm welcome?

Assuming it'll all be ok (which is my default position) then does anyone have any other tips for must see sites or good family places to eat and drink?

Nou Camp is worse than Old Trafford - vast numbers of day-tripper fans. Biggest danger you'll face is getting crushed in the superstore.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
There is a thread on here somewhere from 4-5 years ago about Barcelona, the team and the city.

Political environment and associated risks slightly different now though.........

Exactly.

Quite a few of my mates have been to Barcelona, I've googled the stuff I know he wants to do and am fine arranging my own travel. My big concern is how much it is currently kicking off with the Spanish police and tourists in general.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly.

Quite a few of my mates have been to Barcelona, I've googled the stuff I know he wants to do and am fine arranging my own travel. My big concern is how much it is currently kicking off with the Spanish police and tourists in general.

I go to Barcelona every year at Xmas. The tourist thing has been going on for a few years now. They have legitimate concerns imho but it’s more about controlling numbers and legislation etc, you per se are not the issue. Just be respectful; I have never had any issues.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I moved to Barcelona last month. You'll be absolutely fine. The local Catalan (now run by Madrid) will do most of the policing so no need to worry there. The anti tourist stuff is around but again I very much doubt it will affect you with your young son (the anti tourist movement are distracted by independence anyway). I've noticed a fair amount of Catalan but if you speak the Spanish you know and substitute buenos días with bon dia, por favor with sil us plau and adios with adéu it will go down well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I go to Barcelona every year at Xmas. The tourist thing has been going on for a few years now. They have legitimate concerns imho but it’s more about controlling numbers and legislation etc, you per se are not the issue. Just be respectful; I have never had any issues.

I moved to Barcelona last month. You'll be absolutely fine. The local Catalan (now run by Madrid) will do most of the policing so no need to worry there. The anti tourist stuff is around but again I very much doubt it will affect you with your young son (the anti tourist movement are distracted by independence anyway). I've noticed a fair amount of Catalan but if you speak the Spanish you know and substitute buenos días with bon dia, por favor with sil us plau and adios with adéu it will go down well.

Brilliant, exactly what I'm after, thanks chaps. :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Lucky person. It’s a lovely city. The missus uses to live there, in El Revel many years ago.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Hop on hop off buses are very good (for the one legged passengers) - boom boom!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

So,
throw in a few French bits to make it sound Catalan then.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Brilliant, exactly what I'm after, thanks chaps. :thumbsup:

I was there last weekend with my wife and my 12 year old daughter. She was playing in a hockey tournament at the Polo Club (yes it was posh!) in the shadow of Camp Nou. Hotel more central, but we didn't see any issues at all the entire 4 days we were there. A few Catalan flags flying from balconies was as political as it got, but people without exception great. Used the underground system several times (mainly because the taxi drivers are lunatics) and felt very safe.

I know of several people on different trips in years gone by (incl father-in-law and best mate) who have been pickpocketed, and I've previously been a couple of times, and if anything felt safer this time!

I think as long as you arent there on the weekend of their imminent regional elections (21 December) when it could go off, I would guess any angst would have been and gone by the time of your trip, you will have a ball and have nothing to worry about.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham

WOW, all I can say is you have an amazing wife, I know what game i'd rather go to! What an awesome gift that is.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I was there last weekend with my wife and my 12 year old daughter. She was playing in a hockey tournament at the Polo Club (yes it was posh!) in the shadow of Camp Nou. Hotel more central, but we didn't see any issues at all the entire 4 days we were there. A few Catalan flags flying from balconies was as political as it got, but people without exception great. Used the underground system several times (mainly because the taxi drivers are lunatics) and felt very safe.

I know of several people on different trips in years gone by (incl father-in-law and best mate) who have been pickpocketed, and I've previously been a couple of times, and if anything felt safer this time!

I think as long as you arent there on the weekend of their imminent regional elections (21 December) when it could go off, I would guess any angst would have been and gone by the time of your trip, you will have a ball and have nothing to worry about.

Blinding, cheers. Wouldn't normally worry at all but it's amazing how taking your child along changes what you think about before hand!.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
WOW, all I can say is you have an amazing wife, I know what game i'd rather go to! What an awesome gift that is.

She is pretty cool. Not a normal present year, Mr PPI Compensation has been good to us (get your claims in kids).

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
My wife hasn't even asked why I want for Christmas, that can only mean one of 2 things. 1. i'm getting nowt, 2. Because she hasn't asked what I want I'll be getting something I don't want....again.

Why not follow Guiness Boy's wife's lead.....and buy your wife a trip to Barcelona for Xmas, and make your excuses for a couple of hours whilst the match is on!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here