Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Away Games in the PL - Atmosphere/crowd etc

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Last night put Tottenham in a very bad light on several counts. 46,000? Seriously? I was sitting there last night looking at all the empty seats, and that after all the seats covered and not available, and wondering how on earth you can justify denying away fans the chance to attend. 3,000 out of a capacity of 90,000 when you get 46,000 is a complete joke. And I strongly suspect a good few of those 'home' fans were (like me) quietly supporting Brighton.

Away section was the only full and noisy section yesterday. Atmosphere in rest of ground nowhere near as good as our home games currently.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I’ve also noticed at Away games this season there are far more small kids attending than ever before and there are a lot of faces I’ve never seen before at Away games
Kids are alright but parent's, please don't stare at me when I swear, it's a football match and I'll f***ing swear whether your little brat is there or not, don't like it, don't bring them.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Having been to all of them I'll try an away fans performance rating:

Leicester - 6/10 - not helped by the early goal
Watford - 8.5/10 - excellent, right behind the goal, low roof, in the game due to the sending off
Bournemouth - 7/10 - good for 75 mins
Arsenal - 7/10 - good but gets lost in a big stadium, performance was OK
West Ham 8/10 - only thing which stops this being higher is the mammoth gap between the two sets of away fans
Swansea 8.5/10 - Great result, ok performance, but a close exciting game. Scenes at the final whistle
Man. Utd - 9/10 - brilliant, helped by a good team performance, and a low(ish) roof to keep the atmosphere in, away fans aren't spread too far wide apart
Huddersfield 4/10 - Brilliant home fans, useless away performance, drum and some first time away gamers
Spurs 5/10 - away end is massive and playing in a half empty stadium with no attacking threat

Conclusion: What you need is a close game, behind the goal, attacking options and some excitement in a full stadium.

Bournemouth League Cup game?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I was in the home stand in the top tier on the half way line last night. Me and my mates were discussing whether there was no chanting or whether we were too high. Spurs fans clearly hate Wembley but could hear our fans well.

It was a little odd as I was surrounded by blokes like me who were in groups with some Brighton and some Spurs fans. It was more like being at the rugby or cricket where everyone just took the piss out of each other and had a laugh. I will get shouted down for it but I actually quite liked It. But then I spend most of my weekends at non league football where fans mix for a beer before during and after the match.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Wembley is not a place for club football particularly on a cold Wednesday night, it was a dire effort from the home fans. We were in the Club Wembley area which is like an airport.

Best atmosphere this season i've been to was Huddersfield.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Last night put Tottenham in a very bad light on several counts. 46,000? Seriously? I was sitting there last night looking at all the empty seats, and that after all the seats covered and not available, and wondering how on earth you can justify denying away fans the chance to attend. 3,000 out of a capacity of 90,000 when you get 46,000 is a complete joke. And I strongly suspect a good few of those 'home' fans were (like me) quietly supporting Brighton.

Away section was the only full and noisy section yesterday. Atmosphere in rest of ground nowhere near as good as our home games currently.
20 of us in the club area bumbed into couple of friends on the concourse before the game started and some more clapping brighton subs and when I was leaving a Brighton Fan in the middle of a load of Spurs fans starting singing 2 nil down who gives a Fxxk we are staying up I gave him a cheer. It was a shame they did not give Brighton about 5-7000 would have helped with the atmosphere.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
We only averaged about 1,700 at Away games last season, so that makes another 1,300 appearing from somewhere?

We probably have around 2000+ regulars who obviously don't do every game. You can bet the majority of them are making the effort to go to most games this year.

The remaining 1k have appeared, probably Amex ST holders from the start who have done a few cup games and odd aways in the past like Fulham etc. Maybe they'll find their voices in the end but it's been quite a few games now.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
ok, "day-trippers" may be the wrong phrase. not knocking anyone who has built such incredible loyalty points to be able to attend. my point is the away crowd for the big glamour games seem more like home fans, sing a bit, watch a bit. Whereas bha away following is usually sing a lot, and then a lot more! The games against teams outside the top6 will always come with more belief of a pleasing result.

the home fans though during some of our away games just seem a bit flat. doesn't take away the brilliant experience of going to the games to follow our team.

Acoustics at wembley were incredibly poor though.

We are blessed with the amex.

I can’t remember the last season where NSC hasn’t had a thread such as this which basically says the support ain’t what it used to be. Give it a couple of years and people will be reminiscing about the noise of our away support in that first premier league season and asking where it all went wrong.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Atmosphere last night was awful.........but as above the acoustics or whatever just didn't work. Stadium is too big. Our away support has been pretty good most of the time I reckon - Swansea, West Ham, Man U, Leicester at least were all noisy.

The stadium was built for for the top matches and we are hardly in that group

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The stadium was built for for the top matches and we are hardly in that group

It had absolutely nothing to do with the acoustics which were far worse at the Olympic stadium for example. We were just shit.

Wembley has been silent the entire season, ask any spurs fan. Nothing to do with the stature of opposition.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
It had absolutely nothing to do with the acoustics which were far worse at the Olympic stadium for example. We were just shit.

Wembley has been silent the entire season, ask any spurs fan. Nothing to do with the stature of opposition.

Pretty much. It was incredible against Madrid as would be expected and really good vs Dortmund and Liverpool. Every other game has been anywhere between dire and average.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here