Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Away Games in the PL - Atmosphere/crowd etc

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Delighted with the whole PL ride so far and all the things that come with it, but....

Are away games less fun/noisy than the days following the boys away in L1 and the Champ?

Our own away fans - the PL just brings out the day trippers for the "big" games who don't seem to have much interest in singing along. Hopefully the games like Toon and West Brom away will bring out more of the core singers!!

Also the home fans at the grounds .... talk about BORE! Only really Swansea and Hudds have created a proper atmosphere. The grounds seem full of sightseers who generally just sit there gazing across the pitch. Arsenal, Tottenham, even Man Utd flat as anything. Loudest Spurs were was moaning about time-wasting.

Even when the home teams score its just more of a general round of applause!!

Makes you feel even prouder of the home games at the Amex compared to what we've all seen so far on our travels!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The same crowd at every away game will get boring eventually. But hey they have followed the club since the dizzy heights of the Amex and thoroughly deserve their tickets.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I was disappointed with Wembley on that perspective - it was really hard even for us to get meaningful atmosphere going.. I was near the front and it was really hard to hear songs being sung from the back, and by the time we did and joined in the song had run it's course everywhere else..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Delighted with the whole PL ride so far and all the things that come with it, but....

Are away games less fun/noisy than the days following the boys away in L1 and the Champ?

Our own away fans - the PL just brings out the day trippers for the "big" games who don't seem to have much interest in singing along. Hopefully the games like Toon and West Brom away will bring out more of the core singers!!

Also the home fans at the grounds .... talk about BORE! Only really Swansea and Hudds have created a proper atmosphere. The grounds seem full of sightseers who generally just sit there gazing across the pitch. Arsenal, Tottenham, even Man Utd flat as anything. Loudest Spurs were was moaning about time-wasting.

Makes you feel even prouder of the home games at the Amex compared to what we've all seen so far on our travels!

Whilst I agree with what you say, I'm not sure our visits to the likes of The Emirates, Old Trafford and Wembley are the best way to judge. For home fans, it would be a bit like Rotherham or Burton's visit to us last season: a game where we are expected to win and do so without really getting out of 2nd gear. Not many crowds are vociferous in those circumstances.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Given the amount of moans relating to the same people going to all the away games as they have the loyalty points, not sure the term day trippers fits here.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I was disappointed with Wembley on that perspective - it was really hard even for us to get meaningful atmosphere going.. I was near the front and it was really hard to hear songs being sung from the back, and by the time we did and joined in the song had run it's course everywhere else..

Wembley is shite, no one wants to be there and you can tell.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Atmosphere last night was awful.........but as above the acoustics or whatever just didn't work. Stadium is too big. Our away support has been pretty good most of the time I reckon - Swansea, West Ham, Man U, Leicester at least were all noisy.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Day trippers eh, the ones who are going this season and the same fans who were there all last season. One of the highlights of my season so far was getting home from the game and watching match of the day and hearing SBTS being sung loudly and proudly and slowly at the Emirates towards the end of the match. We were pretty loud at Watford as well.

Not sure you can really count Swansea as good, all the home fans did was groan and boo.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
ok, "day-trippers" may be the wrong phrase. not knocking anyone who has built such incredible loyalty points to be able to attend. my point is the away crowd for the big glamour games seem more like home fans, sing a bit, watch a bit. Whereas bha away following is usually sing a lot, and then a lot more! The games against teams outside the top6 will always come with more belief of a pleasing result.

the home fans though during some of our away games just seem a bit flat. doesn't take away the brilliant experience of going to the games to follow our team.

Acoustics at wembley were incredibly poor though.

We are blessed with the amex.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst I agree with what you say, I'm not sure our visits to the likes of The Emirates, Old Trafford and Wembley are the best way to judge. For home fans, it would be a bit like Rotherham or Burton's visit to us last season: a game where we are expected to win and do so without really getting out of 2nd gear. Not many crowds are vociferous in those circumstances.

This.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north

Good point :)

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Having been to all of them I'll try an away fans performance rating:

Leicester - 6/10 - not helped by the early goal
Watford - 8.5/10 - excellent, right behind the goal, low roof, in the game due to the sending off
Bournemouth - 7/10 - good for 75 mins
Arsenal - 7/10 - good but gets lost in a big stadium, performance was OK
West Ham 8/10 - only thing which stops this being higher is the mammoth gap between the two sets of away fans
Swansea 8.5/10 - Great result, ok performance, but a close exciting game. Scenes at the final whistle
Man. Utd - 9/10 - brilliant, helped by a good team performance, and a low(ish) roof to keep the atmosphere in, away fans aren't spread too far wide apart
Huddersfield 4/10 - Brilliant home fans, useless away performance, drum and some first time away gamers
Spurs 5/10 - away end is massive and playing in a half empty stadium with no attacking threat

Conclusion: What you need is a close game, behind the goal, attacking options and some excitement in a full stadium.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Atmosphere last night was awful.........but as above the acoustics or whatever just didn't work. Stadium is too big. Our away support has been pretty good most of the time I reckon - Swansea, West Ham, Man U, Leicester at least were all noisy.

From where I was seated the Albion fans singing Albiiiiiiion Albiiiiiiiiion, echoed around the stadium quite fantastically.
Much better than that 'Yid army' crap that was making my ears bleed.

Day trippers eh, the ones who are going this season and the same fans who were there all last season. One of the highlights of my season so far was getting home from the game and watching match of the day and hearing SBTS being sung loudly and proudly and slowly at the Emirates towards the end of the match. We were pretty loud at Watford as well.

Not sure you can really count Swansea as good, all the home fans did was groan and boo.

This :thumbsup:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
ok, "day-trippers" may be the wrong phrase. not knocking anyone who has built such incredible loyalty points to be able to attend. my point is the away crowd for the big glamour games seem more like home fans, sing a bit, watch a bit. Whereas bha away following is usually sing a lot, and then a lot more! The games against teams outside the top6 will always come with more belief of a pleasing result.

the home fans though during some of our away games just seem a bit flat. doesn't take away the brilliant experience of going to the games to follow our team.

Acoustics at wembley were incredibly poor though.

We are blessed with the amex.

Basically our singing last night was crap wasn't it. The amount of times there were different chants at the same time or the same chant but out of time was ridiculous.

I guess there is some truth to the acoustics there not being great but to be honest most people around me just wouldn't open their mouths. I find it hard to understand, we're in the Premier League, playing at Wembley and there are people just stood there in silence or stood their moaning.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Heard this argument. I've personally been to a couple of london derbies, it really isn't much different. No idea about old trafford.

Basically our singing last night was crap wasn't it. The amount of times there were different chants at the same time or the same chant but out of time was ridiculous.

I guess there is some truth to the acoustics there not being great but to be honest most people around me just wouldn't open their mouths. I find it hard to understand, we're in the Premier League, playing at Wembley and there are people just stood there in silence or stood their moaning.

That's because we have jumped from 1500 to 3000 averages. People who have had an Amex ST since the start and went to Fulham, MKDongs etc have probably managed to get on board.

Our usual 1000-1500 are loud and proud, but with the mutes we have now filling the gaps it's difficult for songs to carry. Some of them can just about conjure up an Albion, Albion if loud enough. Problem last night was there was a large chunk of the mutes in the middle who weren't carrying on songs started from left or right, I know because I was in amongst them. I understand now why PL away crowds have been so shocking at the Amex if these are the fans it attracts.

The demographics of our away followings are now very similar to the north stand at home, there's just a bunch of people in there not interested. The people to my left were too busy chatting the entire game (in between checking other results on their phones) applying their tactical nous to the game and how they would do things better than hughton, the people to my right literally did not utter a sound from start to finish not even a sniffle or a cough and the people in front were sarcastically celebrating throwins won and nothing else.

Don't blame the acoustics, we were worse than the performance of our team.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
On the whole it's good but I'm constantly surrounded by people not singing at away games, SING up or don't come you morons!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Emirates, Old Trafford and Wembley all predictably rubbish atmospheres albeit the London games have been played at
Rubbish times and days and even time of year last night.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
We could create a better atmosphere by rushing a fire exit, injuring a few stewards and setting off flares and fireworks throughout the game, whilst all wearing black and covering our faces.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Heard this argument. I've personally been to a couple of london derbies, it really isn't much different. No idea about old trafford.

That's because we have jumped from 1500 to 3000 averages. People who have had an Amex ST since the start and went to Fulham, MKDongs etc have probably managed to get on board.

Our usual 1000-1500 are loud and proud, but with the mutes we have now filling the gaps it's difficult for songs to carry. Some of them can just about conjure up an Albion, Albion if loud enough. Problem last night was there was a large chunk of the mutes in the middle who weren't carrying on songs started from left or right, I know because I was in amongst them. I understand now why PL away crowds have been so shocking at the Amex if these are the fans it attracts.

The demographics of our away followings are now very similar to the north stand at home, there's just a bunch of people in there not interested. The people to my left were too busy chatting the entire game (in between checking other results on their phones) applying their tactical nous to the game and how they would do things better than hughton, the people to my right literally did not utter a sound from start to finish not even a sniffle or a cough and the people in front were sarcastically celebrating throwins won and nothing else.

Don't blame the acoustics, we were worse than the performance of our team.

I was sat down the other end in with Spurs fans on the third tier. Not a word or a song along that entire section. Just one guy who stood up and bellowed does your boyfriend know you’re here which was quite weird because no one joined in and it was so quiet and he so loud that everyone just starred at him in mild amusement.

I heard a few utterings of Yids, Yids amongst the lane faithful but it was more under the breath / terrified to say something it was intimidatingly silent. Just sat there with my hot tea - good view mind!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here