Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are you keeping the faith in Hughton?

Where do you currently stand with Chris Hughton?

• I still have ALL the faith

Votes: 377 75.1%
  • Faith has waned a tad, but still Team Hughton

Votes: 107 21.3%
  • On the fence

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • I'm doubting he is the man for the job

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Hughton Out!

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Is anyone surprise we find ourselves where we are? WE are about where I would have expected. We knew what CH would bring, we were warned by both Norwich and Newcastle supporters on here. Survival is the goal this year, nothing else, its going to be a torrid ride. Hold on tight!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I'm still Team Hughton but would like to see us have a go with 10 on the clock if we are 1-0 down. Spurs were a bit slow with the pace of the game last night and felt we could have been more adventurous to try and get something late on. Whats the worst that could have happened with 10 mins on the clock. Maybe if they then score a second we decide it aint gonna work and settle at 0-2

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm still Team Hughton but would like to see us have a go with 10 on the clock if we are 1-0 down. Spurs were a bit slow with the pace of the game last night and felt we could have been more adventurous to try and get something late on. Whats the worst that could have happened with 10 mins on the clock. Maybe if they then score a second we decide it aint gonna work and settle at 0-2

We had our best spell between, at a guess, something like 65-75 minutes. This had coincided with the introduction of Solly March who beat his fullback several times.

After about the 75 minute mark we didn't offer a great deal. I wonder if we'd just run out of energy, despite the 3 substitutions, as a result of putting in such a well-disciplined defensive display for so long. It would be both physically and mentally sapping I imagine.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Last night we had a real chatty good natured bunch around us. All seemed fairly level headed and understanding that we were trying to not let a team who topped a Champions League group including Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund play their natural game.
HOWEVER, there were two old boys that spent the whole game ripping into Chris, seemingly wanting us to play an all-out-attack style against whoever we were up against.

For those that experienced the Albion in the top flight, is there no novelty to being in the Premier League and remaining competitive, even if we can't get any luck or points, against the big six?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Take a look at what Sean Dyche has done, and he did get relegated. His Burnley side won just 7, lost 19 scoring only 28 goals in going down. They stuck with him.

Survival last season, they did win 11, but they lost 20 and were the next lowest scorers to the relegated teams.

Now Burnley and Dyche look like world beaters, but look at the table last season and their record is identical to ours P17 pts17 F16 A28.

A reality check is needed for a lot of people right now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes. Even if I wasn't 100% confident in him in 2 seasons from now, I'd probably still be right behind him. Be careful what you wish for.

(Actually, Stoke fans might want to remember that seeing as some of them are calling for Hughes' head)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Of course. He can only work with what he’s got so our rather dull style, particularly away, is pretty much what we’re going to have to put up with unless we bank a couple more seasons’ PL money. Just got to do what it takes to grind out results in the meantime.

Absolutely Team Hughton. Just looking at the manager merry-go-round this season makes me shudder.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Take a look at what Sean Dyche has done, and he did get relegated. His Burnley side won just 7, lost 19 scoring only 28 goals in going down. They stuck with him.

Survival last season, they did win 11, but they lost 20 and were the next lowest scorers to the relegated teams.

Now Burnley and Dyche look like world beaters, but look at the table last season and their record is identical to ours P17 pts17 F16 A28.

That should definitely be our model. Even if we do go down Chris will get us back up and we'll be much better suited to it next time around. I still think there are three worse teams than us this season. And I don't think a LOT of people need a reality check. Not a single person has voted Hughton Out on this poll. It's barely a question.

However, I say again, where Burnley are different is that they've managed to recruit firepower. They have very decent strikers in depth. We don't.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
He will be our manager next season even if we are relegated, as he would be the board's choice to get us promoted.

Our opinion is, frankly, null and void.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Best manager we have ever had imo , and I’ve seen a few over the years , our sole objective this season is to avoid relegation, he will achieve that hopefully, if he doesn’t then I would still love him to continue the job if he wanted to .

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m glass half empty when results go against us, but I still rate CH as perfect for us.

The Board and Winstanley failed to give CH the attacking, pace and creative tools (at PL level), last April to August, so I won’t blame CH at all.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Good points well made re. Burnley. But the poll would suggest that it's only a tiny minority of people who need the reality check.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm saddened this topic exists. Absolutely ridiculous.

Why? The intent was very obvious and I pretty much said as much in the opening post. I'll spell it out for you, as you missed it:

1. Reading some threads, a view could be taken that the tide was turning against Hughton. Some NSCers have said as much.
2. I didn't believe that view was representative of Albion fans as a group.
3. This poll was intended to illustrate that pretty much everyone is Team Hughton.
4. It seems to be doing just that.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, despite how crushingly disappointing the hammer blow of not being able to compete with Huddersfield was.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here