Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are you keeping the faith in Hughton?

Where do you currently stand with Chris Hughton?

• I still have ALL the faith

Votes: 377 75.1%
  • Faith has waned a tad, but still Team Hughton

Votes: 107 21.3%
  • On the fence

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • I'm doubting he is the man for the job

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Hughton Out!

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have absolute faith that CH is the manager I want to run this club. I still think we'll go down - I have all season - while, I would like it to be otherwise, going back down is fine by me, I'm enjoying the ride.

Just think about who we are competing with - some of the best squads in the world

The majority of them aren't though, eh? We just need to be able to compete with the likes of Stoke and Watford.

I think we'll come back up quite quickly

Said every PL-relegated club ever. Probably even Sunderland at the end of last season. Easier said than done when all your best players walk.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Still 100% behind him. If we do go down, which looks entirely possible, then he’s proven himself as a manager who can win matches at Championship level.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
FFS. We were expected to struggle, especially without the purchase of a striker, and at the moment we are struggling. He can't perform miracles. Sick of all this negativity because we're only 13th in the table.

Where are you seeing negativity? Nearly 98.5% are pro-Hughton and the remainder probably clicked the wrong option by mistake.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Team Hughton for me. He's playing it the best way he can with the players he has. A few things have gone against us which could easily have gone the other way, and left us with quite a few more points than we currently have.

I also don't really buy this 'blame the recruitment' argument - Paul Barber already explained in some detail how complex transfer windows are. Everybody wants to get their business done early, but lots of things can stop that happening: players not wanting to jump until late in the window when they've seen all the options, players failing medicals, clubs with much bigger resources gazumping you, clubs losing players they expected to keep so having to hold on to players they were prepared to let go. Reckon all of these have happened to us.

Let's hope we get what we need in the January window, but let's not fool ourselves that plenty of other clubs are trying to do exactly the same thing, and we may not get our perfect outcome.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hughton is getting the best he can out of the players he has at his disposal. :xmas:

This. He can't have foreseen that Knocky, last season's Championship Player Of The Season, would retreat into a shell this season. Neither could he have predicted that Dale Stephens would suddenly become incapable of completing a simple five yard pass to a team mate. And he's probably contractually-obliged to play Izzy Brown, a kid who should by rights be playing one level down. As for Schelotto, no idea what kind of commercial shenanigans are going on there. He's certainly not in the team on merit.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Am I frustrated watching some of these performances? Yes

Do I want to see different people in the lineup sometimes? Yes

Did CH take us to the PL for the first time in my life, giving me some of the best moments ever? Yes. Yes. Yes.

Team Hughton 100% and will be until the bitter end, but I really hope we see something different Saturday.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm still with him. Can't think of anybody who could do a better job with the current resources he has to work with.

I did find the recent quote in the Argus somewhat disquietening it has to be said. IIRC correctly it was along the lines of "we will either strengthen or squad in January or we won't"! No shit Sherlock! I'm not convinced that "or we won't" is an option if we are to preserve our status in the PL.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Why would you not have faith in Chris Hughton? Got to be one of, if not the best manager we have ever had.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Like most people its keep Chris for me but get relegated and it’s gloves off time we must attack the more winnable games.

I think you'll find "get relegated and it’s gloves off time" is very much a minority opinion, certainly not shared by 'most people'. CH for next season - and the one after please - wherever we are.*

* OK, maybe not if 2019-20 is in League 1 !

el punal

That old expression of 'careful what you wish for' springs to mind with anyone thinking of ditching Chris Hughton for someone, hopefully, better.

Those of you of a certain age cast your mind back to the early 1980s. The Albion had Mike Bailey as team manager. He took the club to their highest ever league position of 13th in the old first division. He was pragmatic to say the least - remind you of someone else? Most games won were 1-0 jobs, the draws 0-0 and entertainment value slightly lower on the list of priorities. Bailey was shunted out and the club decided they wanted a more exciting brand of football. Enter Jimmy 'White Dancing Shoes' Melia.

Jimmy was loved. The fans loved him, the media loved him, the discos loved him. I'm sure the players loved him. He was loved so much that he got us to a cup final. He also got us relegated. He was the opposite of Mike Bailey, who knew that we were a team that had to scrap for points to survive - Jimmy didn't, and it's taken 34+years to get back to where Mike Bailey had us.

Chris Hughton is a different kettle of fish to Mike Bailey in personality but probably the mind set is the same. Survival is paramount. Survive and then you can build on that for the future. Remember, Chris did that when he arrived in early 2015, to an Albion in the mire of relegation. We survived, we moved on - upwards. Time will tell whether this will be repeated in the Premier League, but at least he should be given the chance.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Should be a public poll, otherwise it's distorted by Palace fans etc.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Word association:
Adam .....
Paloma.....

100%:thumbsup:

And Brown!

409full-faith-brown.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports