Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are you keeping the faith in Hughton?

Where do you currently stand with Chris Hughton?

• I still have ALL the faith

Votes: 377 75.1%
  • Faith has waned a tad, but still Team Hughton

Votes: 107 21.3%
  • On the fence

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • I'm doubting he is the man for the job

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Hughton Out!

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
That old expression of 'careful what you wish for' springs to mind with anyone thinking of ditching Chris Hughton for someone, hopefully, better.

Those of you of a certain age cast your mind back to the early 1980s. The Albion had Mike Bailey as team manager. He took the club to their highest ever league position of 13th in the old first division. He was pragmatic to say the least - remind you of someone else? Most games won were 1-0 jobs, the draws 0-0 and entertainment value slightly lower on the list of priorities. Bailey was shunted out and the club decided they wanted a more exciting brand of football. Enter Jimmy 'White Dancing Shoes' Melia.

Jimmy was loved. The fans loved him, the media loved him, the discos loved him. I'm sure the players loved him. He was loved so much that he got us to a cup final. He also got us relegated. He was the opposite of Mike Bailey, who knew that we were a team that had to scrap for points to survive - Jimmy didn't, and it's taken 34+years to get back to where Mike Bailey had us.

Chris Hughton is a different kettle of fish to Mike Bailey in personality but probably the mind set is the same. Survival is paramount. Survive and then you can build on that for the future. Remember, Chris did that when he arrived in early 2015, to an Albion in the mire of relegation. We survived, we moved on - upwards. Time will tell whether this will be repeated in the Premier League, but at least he should be given the chance.

Great post

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Absolutely have all the faith in Hughton.

As stated at the start of the season and through the window, I don't believe we have a team strong enough to comfortably survive this season and will not be surprised if we are relegated unless big/good signings are made next month.

Imo, we need:
Fullbacks
An attacking CM
Possibly an improved winger
2 quality strikers

The rest are good, and no disrespect at all to our current players who I don't think are up to it at Premier League level.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Love Chris Hughton and everything that he stands for. The man has class in abundance. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times and he could not be more gracious with his time.. As many have said, careful what you wish for and I hope that he remains with us in some capacity for years to come.

Given the tools at his disposal I think he’s doing a sterling job to have us in with a fighting chance of avoiding the drop. Luckily our owner has similar amounts of class in abundance and there must surely be zero percent chance of him losing his job.

We are Brighton and we have class and respect. Not like others who chop and change on a whim. UTA :albion2:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Unless Hughton has instructed the players to lose the ball, not work together, or not make the killer pass then it's down to the footballing brain and quality of players we have. Solly was brilliant when he came on but failed to deliver when it really counted. Hard to blame our strikers when they are feeding off scraps.

Man City know when to pass and when to shoot and when a players passes he knows he will get it back again. They play for each other not as individuals.

I just hope our players recognise where they can improve their game and work on it because I would much rather see them rise to the challenge and do the busines than have to buy someone who can. At the moment Messi would struggle scoring for us.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Faith in him - yes
Faith in the players - waning / currently meeting my expectations from pre season

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone that is not happy with Hughton needs a quiet word. Absurd to even question the fella at this stage. He knows what he is doing

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don’t always agree with him. I don’t always agree with his selections or his tactics. But then again, I’m a football fan so that’s inevitable.

Nonetheless, I will support the guy (whilst continuing to point out where I think he’s done something wrong and, conversely, where he’s done things well) non-stop until TB decides he’s no longer our manager. I think he’s deserved that.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
People think we can just have the audacity to steamroll some of the biggest teams in the country

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It's not the result against the big teams thats frustrating. It's the results against the smaller teams. Drawing 2-2 at home to Stoke. A game we really should have hoped to win. The 0-0 draw against Watford who were playing with 10 men 65 minutes. The late Everton penalty that denied us all 3 points. The 4 points dropped from Watford and Everton could make all the difference at the end of the season.

For clarity, I'm not Hughton out. I'm pretty happy with this season so far but we can't keep drawing games we deserved to win.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think i get slightly irked at things like the timing of his subsistitutions, little things like that but i still cant think of anyone i'd rather have, and would be happy to keep him if we were relegated.

That said, if we struggle to land a striker in the Jan window then i'd worry. I'd not want him to leave, but i'd worry.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Norwich made the mistake of sacking CH and went down. How they called for attacking football they tried under the caretaker and got hammered. Spurs was definitely not the game to give it a go as they have the quality to hand out another 5-0 drubbing which would hurt confidence even more.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Team Hughton for me. He's playing it the best way he can with the players he has. A few things have gone against us which could easily have gone the other way, and left us with quite a few more points than we currently have.

I also don't really buy this 'blame the recruitment' argument - Paul Barber already explained in some detail how complex transfer windows are. Everybody wants to get their business done early, but lots of things can stop that happening: players not wanting to jump until late in the window when they've seen all the options, players failing medicals, clubs with much bigger resources gazumping you, clubs losing players they expected to keep so having to hold on to players they were prepared to let go. Reckon all of these have happened to us.

Let's hope we get what we need in the January window, but let's not fool ourselves that plenty of other clubs are trying to do exactly the same thing, and we may not get our perfect outcome.
The 'Blame the Recruitment' slant is justified. We all knew a month before last season ended that we were going up. That is when recruitment should have gone into top gear, especially as we all knew months prior to the end of the season that we needed goal scorers. To be reliant on a possible loan, requiring an extra couple of hours after the transfer window closed, says that they messed up. Even more so when the potential loanee told us to sod off!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The 'Blame the Recruitment' slant is justified. We all knew a month before last season ended that we were going up. That is when recruitment should have gone into top gear, especially as we all knew months prior to the end of the season that we needed goal scorers. To be reliant on a possible loan, requiring an extra couple of hours after the transfer window closed, says that they messed up. Even more so when the potential loanee told us to sod off!

:thumbsup:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We needed more quality up front and some real quality in the central midfield.Im hoping we will get some quality as our squad to be frank just isn't strong enough to stay up compared to other clubs.Defo need some pace up top and I'm sure we'll get it.

I'm team Hughton and even if we get relegated as he's much better than the shite out there:)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have definitely got faith in Chris, I hope he is Brighton's manager for many years to come.
But he can only work with what he has got, hopefully a few decent signings in January and we will be fine.

I'm not someone that hero worships footballers or managers, but Chris Hughton just comes across as one decent man.

Keep the faith. UTA

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I'll back him even if we are relegated. I can quite see him doing the same for us as Dyche has done for Burnley.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here