Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton Attack

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
There is a lot of bile thrown at Wagner, but he has set up Huddersfield to go for teams who he realises are there for the taking, but he also has told his players not to be afraid of teams...yes they have been dicked a few times, but at home they have won some very good games by having a go.

I've been reading the Huddersfield forum this season and Wagner has been criticised by their fans for being too defensive in some games. It's a myth that they only play gung-ho attacking football. Last season Hughton's team managed to outscore Wagner's by nearly 20, this season so far we've scored two more goals and conceded 6 fewer.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
You are of course fully entitled to your opinion but I think you are horribly wrong.
No one was talking about negative tactics when we won 3-1 vs West Brom or 3-0 vs West Ham. You need to look at the job he has done over the whole season not just the last few games which were always going to be tough.
Also we are currently 13th and 3 points above the relegation zone - a position we all would have taken at the end of August when we were odds on favourites for relegation.
I'm sure Chris is as frustrated as the rest of us at the lack of a striker signing - this has limited him considerably but imho over the course of the season so far he has done an excellent job. Room for improvement? absolutely - but apart from Man City you could say that about all teams/managers

I can assure you I have looked at everything CH has done since he has been with us (and way before that!) and what he has done and where he has got us is really amazing, I just don't believe he has anything left to give us, no new ideas and based on past and recent performances (not just last night) I don't think he is getting the best out of the team he has got, I also strongly believe he plays a far too defensively game and always has done.

Lets see what happens in the future with the up and coming games and where we are after the new year, PLEASE believe me when I say, I really do want to be wrong, I hope I am so wrong that others (and you if you want :lol: ) dig this thread up and make me eat humble pie! it will be the best pie i have eaten in ages!! :)

Thanks for your sensible reply, your opinion is valued :thumbsup:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I sometimes share the frustration of the OP with regard Hughton's style - it's undeniably a safety first policy, backed up by his comments earlier this season re putting everyone behind the ball to defend a slender lead even at home. This is something I can't understand and would like to see a bit more of a killer instinct from the man on the bench.

Another thing I didn't like this year, were the comments Chris made re 'giving it go...' sounded all too negative to me and we had further comments from him stating: "we know those we can compete with and those we can't..." Or as I saw it: we are going to lose to the top 8 end of, full stop etc. As a direct consequence I rarely get excited about the away trips to the big teams, as I'm far more concerned with not getting embarrassed - and therein lies the rub: Chris obviously feels the same! and here we do have indirect common ground.

The issue is, reigning the players in and keeping energy levels high for the games against Watford et al. Where we have a chance of a point here and there... Sadly we are not in a position to attack anyone as our blatant strength lies in our defence...

How does the old saying go... play to your strengths or something?!? Let's hope we have more balance in the squad come Jan, then we might see some more adventurous tactics...

Or maybe not ;)

I realise the above is a tad contradictory (ahem), but just to be clear, I do love Chris Hughton and have faith he is the man for us until he retires basically - That said, I'd love it if he'd shock everyone - including the ginger Dalek - if we did a Sheff Wed (PO 2nd leg), next time out.

Last edited:

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Now is not the time to change: but in my view the problem stems from our efforts to play like a premier league team, when the refreshing attack orientated style of last season appears to have disappeared. OK, Baldock and Sidwell still out injured, but I suggest that more effort to score goals (and yes, I know we would certainly concede more) would make a difference and bring more wins. I've noticed that he seems more animated than in the past: but that's not a bad thing. In any case, having seen the hasbeens shunted into jobs recently (West Ham, West Bromwich Albion etc) I think we have by far the best going...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Chris Hughton has done an amazing job in getting us to the promised land, I completely accept I will get flamed and shot down by many, but I think his job is now done here, he has a past history of being very defensive, last night the tactical line up of 11 defenders clearly did not work and never will.

In any League game where the winner gets 3 points, you just as well lose 5...0 as lose 1....0..... I have lived in a Rugby world for many years and for the life of me I have never ever understood the Welsh thinking behind "yes we lost 36 - 12 but what a great performance!!!"............ REALLY?? .......you LOST!! .... Don't get me wrong, if a team does go down fighting I am happy to say "yeah at least you tried" but you clearly did not try hard enough!

I am happy to be corrected, but in all my years of following football, I have never seen or known a constantly successful defensive team!

There is only one way to defend and thats ATTACK! sadly attack is not in CH vocabulary.

Please do discuss......I am more than happy to be corrected :thumbsup:

Oh, please just do one. You are absolutely talking out of your ****. What the hell is he meant to do? He can't perform miracles. If someone has told you at the beginning of the season we'd be 13th in the table in December you would probably have bitten his arm off. And now you want to SACK Hughton? It really is ******* hilarious.

Btw, did you go to Old Trafford when we attacked throughout the match? Just wondering, like.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think this is where our failure in the transfer window is beginning to bite us on the arse. Would we be having this conversation if Neto and Dwamena had passed their medicals? Probably not.

Hughton started Knocky and Izquierdo last night so nobody can accuse him of being ultra-defensive.

Hughton is not to blame for our window woes, but the fact remains we've had the fewest shots on goal of ANY side in the Prem and that is something we have to address in the January window.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think this is where our failure in the transfer window is beginning to bite us on the arse. Would we be having this conversation if Neto and Dwamena had passed their medicals? Probably not.

Hughton started Knocky and Izquierdo last night so nobody can accuse him of being ultra-defensive.

Hughton is not to blame for our window woes, but the fact remains we've had the fewest shots on goal of ANY side in the Prem and that is something we have to address in the January window.

Looking at the stats for some of our games, it's like - 3 shots 1 on target vs. 17 shots with 12 on target etc. I'm sure Chris bases his tactical approach on a % based system of mitigated risk. However, looking at those kind of percentages above, well it's not working.

However... It's more down to half baked and unlucky recruitment and the policy of giving the incumbent squad a chance a this level. As it happens I think those from the promotion winning squad have been the biggest culprits, in terms of not making the transition, most of whom are now rapidly trading on the past two season's. That chance (good faith) is very nearly over, and January will hopefully be very interesting.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
As I mentioned on another thread I understand the defend and hope to get something on the break attitude. However at 0-1 down with 10 or so mins to go then unless you score the game is lost. Surely we are better going 4-4-2 at this point and having a go and trying to peg back the opposition. If we then end up conceding another then that is the time to say ok we aren’t getting anything so let’s shut up shop and not concede further to protect our goal difference.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
He hasn't got a best 11 to choose from.
Attacking the manager for not being able to get a large quantity of goals from H&M is laughable.

If the OP is so desperate to find someone to blame he needs to start with Uncle Tony and then work down through Barber-out before getting to Winstanley and Hughton.

Couldn't agree more.

Can't see anybody is going to blame Uncle Tony! Anybody who thinks he is micro-managing the club on a daily basis is off their rocker. That's what he pays a CEO to do.

All Uncle Tony can do is make the money available. It is then up to the recruitment team, with the manager, to identify the potential recruits. It is then down to Barber and his team to negotiate and sign off on the deal.

If we don't get the pacy, quality goalscorer in January, I do fear the worst.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
His plan is designed to work over an entire season not individual games. It is about consistency and confidence. IMHO it is working and we need to stick with him. If we stay up and in a few seasons time he doesn't adapt to the new situation then by all means we should look for someone more suitable. Right now I don't think there is a better equipped manager to deal with our situation. It's horses for courses he is doing exactly what I would expect a quality manager to do with our current squad of players.

Out of interest, who would you replace him with?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't replace him with anyone...i wouldn't get rid of him at all.

but this is a message board where people express opinions...now there are some snowflakes out there who don't get that and resort to insults, but that is what this organ is for.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I've been reading the Huddersfield forum this season and Wagner has been criticised by their fans for being too defensive in some games. It's a myth that they only play gung-ho attacking football. Last season Hughton's team managed to outscore Wagner's by nearly 20, this season so far we've scored two more goals and conceded 6 fewer.

but there is always people who want to criticise. I have seen them three times this year, one at home and two away and although the away games resulted in quite heavy defeats, they didnt give up , they still went for it...I suppose the chelsea game on Tuesday was a bit like that.

certainly Wagners philosophy is different to Hughtons.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
If I could stick my oar in slightly, since it doesn't affect me, but this is a post on Burnley's board about this time last year from one of our more miserable posters:

"Thanks for everything but he simply isn't up to it. Another embarrassing hammering where we never looked capable of getting anything out of the game. This was a repeat of Leicester, we set up to lose 1-0 and not 4-0, soon as they score we are knackered and heads drop. How does Dyche react? He doesn't until it's to late.

Soton had 38 attempts at our goal, we didnt even muster a shot on target (pen aside). We had around 20% of the ball, negative long ball defensive timewasting tactics, all we are doing is seemingly delaying the inevitable thrashing because we aren't willing to try and actually win a game.

Some managers are good at getting out of the Championship but useless at PL level. Ady Bothroyd and Paul Jewell both have promotions from the Championship on their CV.

The question now is, do we accept this inept negative crap or do we be proactive and selfish and give BFC the best chance possible at survival? Many believe this is Dyche's last season with us so why wait until we are relegated to move on."

It's just been bumped so we can all laugh at the OP.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If I could stick my oar in slightly, since it doesn't affect me, but this is a post on Burnley's board about this time last year from one of our more miserable posters:

"Thanks for everything but he simply isn't up to it. Another embarrassing hammering where we never looked capable of getting anything out of the game. This was a repeat of Leicester, we set up to lose 1-0 and not 4-0, soon as they score we are knackered and heads drop. How does Dyche react? He doesn't until it's to late.

Soton had 38 attempts at our goal, we didnt even muster a shot on target (pen aside). We had around 20% of the ball, negative long ball defensive timewasting tactics, all we are doing is seemingly delaying the inevitable thrashing because we aren't willing to try and actually win a game.

Some managers are good at getting out of the Championship but useless at PL level. Ady Bothroyd and Paul Jewell both have promotions from the Championship on their CV.

The question now is, do we accept this inept negative crap or do we be proactive and selfish and give BFC the best chance possible at survival? Many believe this is Dyche's last season with us so why wait until we are relegated to move on."

Superrrrrbb!

That kind of negative overreaction literally writes itself.

Top post, and well bounced.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Perfect. And the ultimate "careful what you wish for" to the OP.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Educate me, what am I wishing for exactly?

Fair enough - I get that you are not actually wishing for Hughton to go but you "think his job is now done here" and "There is only one way to defend and thats ATTACK!". I think neither is true and I think if Hughton's job is done and we got a new manager who set up with these players to attack more, we would be on the back of some tonkings. Dyche's set up - getting the most from his players has to be our template even if it means games like last night. But I do understand your point - it is hard (and sometimes frustrating) watching such a defensive set up against the big boys but I feel it is the right way to go at this point in our PL career.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
CH's tactics are pretty much spot on, any other style at this stage would see us as whipping boys and we'd be on the receiving end of Liverpool'esque scorelines most weeks. The obvious bit that is missing is having genuine PL quality strikers who can put away the chances that come their way when we counter with greater regularity. Until we have that piece we will always be relying on 3 teams being worse than us over the course of the season.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
As far I can tell; you're wishing for Chris to attack more, not wishing to attack Chris more.

Correct?

There's nowt wrong with that.

Pretty much yes, I have nothing against Chris whatsoever, he is a very good manager, and in any of my posts on here, or anywhere else come to that, I've never said anything different, as always a few on here have decided to interpret my posts so it suits them, in fact in my last post to you (I think it was?) I even said I really hope I'm wrong and people bounce this and make me eat humble pie!

All I am asking for is a better attitude all round, I actually disagree with some on here in as much as I firmly believe we have a very good squad, some on here are saying "what is he supposed to do with the squad he has got?" my answer to that is.....get the best out of them, this has not been happening in my opinion, not on a regular basis anyway.

I know the example I am going to give will get one or two fired up, but sod it I will say it anyway......when Arry took over spurs they were in a mess, right down the bottom, in fact if memory serves me well a certain Gareth Bale had the honour of every game he started they did not win (23 games I think?) the players confidence was on the floor, Arry came along and it changed, he knew what to do........I'm not going to keep on about that scenario but my point is, I'm really not sure Chris knows what more he can do, well apart from trying to not lose! as someone else pointed out (it may have been you?) at 1 down last night we were still defending and time wasting! why time waste with 3 minutes gone and another 87 to go? thats what was happening last night and other times, In my opinion, if you take the game to the opposition it is the best form of defense there is, I do not mean "GUNG HO" attack as some have tried to interpret my comments, take hold of the game!

Last night Spurs were shite! they had alot of possession - why? because we let them! It was not just a bad day at the office, in my opinion, it was a badly structured team, a team being told to defend at all costs and try and nick it on a break! we had that break and Hemed decided to let Loris have the ball :)

To those that want to interpret what my opinion is, thats fine, I have no problem with it at all, call me all the names you want, I really don't care, it is only my opinion though, nothing more and nothing less, I want to see this team stay in the Premier league and compete with the best, I believe we can do that, I don't believe we have to keep making excuses for things either, we have a good team, lets just hope Chris can get the best out of them on a regular basis.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Oh do **** off

As part of the NSC moderating team, it is my pleasure to inform you that not only is your post probably the most intellectual one you have ever done out of your 15178 posts, we would like to let you know that your contribution to this thread is amazing and also inspirational to many others.

We intend to present you with an award in the near future, we are at present liaising with your junior school headmistress to sort out a convenient date and time :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here