Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton Attack

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
WRONG! :wrong: So you think Pochettino, Mourinho, Klopp & Guardiola would be able to get more out of our shower of shite than Hughton? Really, wake up the players aren't good enough.

Hughton will keep us up, and that is all we could have hoped for at the start of season.

Get feckin real J.R. Hartley :fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing: :xmas:

A shower of shite? Really? Did you really mean that? I mean REALLY?

Well not really, it's just that this thread has really got my dander up. :rolleyes:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
You cannot take the game to the elite teams they would not just defeat you,they would thrash you and morale would be such that even teams in the lower end of the table would be looking forward to playing us,Chris is doing his best to setting up a pattern of play to keep the goals against total as low as possible

I think Leicester City screw's up that analogy ...... if you try hard and give it everything, anything is possible, if you approach a scenario with an apprehensive attitude, it will always beat you up.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
successful defensive team look no further than the Greek national team that won the euro championship.

Even Jose Mourinho's Chelsea did ok but were defensive in the bigger games

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Generally speaking possession of the ball is the best form of attack and defence, and our possession has been lacking recently because we are being actively pressed more. We struggle more, all over the pitch, when pressed and teams must know this. I don't know the best way to 'combat' that. I guess being generally quicker so we move possession around more, but that is much easier said than done!

You’re right on all counts but are the players we have capable of playing the game at a quicker pace.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
OP meltdown

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Up until the Liverpool game the balance of defence and attack had been just right. We start with a good tempo and then we pace oursleves for a strong finish. The last 20 minutes at Arsenal we had them defending for their lives.

Jose Mourinho complimented our defence and our threat in attack, but he may have cursed us into a false sense of security.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Newcastle and Norwich can't be both be wrong can they ?

Definitely has to be given a season, and you know what I can't think of a better manager to get us promoted again if the worst case scenario did actually happen...

Together faith...

Look at WBA no win in something like 16 games, clubs are in a far worse situation than us, as newbies I think we have acquitted ourselves very well considering we are lacking a powerful forward, which hopefully will be addressed in the transfer window.

And i think you've explained exactly why we have to play this approach, it's the one that is most likely to get anything from a game like playing Spurs, a top 4 side with aspirations of winning the league. We are limited in our choice of approach and have to work with the squad we have (that has been good enough so far) and apply the best tactics which suit who we have and not to play in a way that is likely to leave us far worse off (we attacked Liverpool and conceded 5)

Do you really think that if we were to go toe to toe and try to attack as much as they were that it would work or would even be possible to achieve ? (completely ignoring the quality of the opposition and their constant pressuring of the player with the ball as soon as we got it back, forcing them to play it quickly and often leaving only a very difficult option to try (longer balls to try to release players like Jose) which are not as likely to work as often as we would like it to) They beat Stoke, scoring 5, and at the end of the season, goal difference could be crucial and make the difference to which division a team is in next season

Anyone reading this site recently would think we are a distant last in the table, and not even competing in any of the matches. I thought we did well, frustrated them - their player in the 1st half shrugging and looking frustrated because there was little on at around the 30 minute mark was an example of how our tactics were working and it was a fluke goal (just like at Man U) which has pretty much denied us a chance to get at least a point from the game

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
I think there he's not really found his best 11 yet, I know that's probably a tad leftfield, but with a couple of first team players coming back, Baldock and Kayal, he's got to find a fine balance between spending the right money and getting the best out of the players he has.
The first thing is getting confidence back.
Yes, this.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Sam Allardyce went to Everton and just worked on the defence, they seem to have turned a corner now, as have Palace. If anything we need to be more defensive, or at least work on re-establishing our defence, from which to attack. Blindly attacking teams is a recipe for disaster. This Saturday for example our first objective needs to be a clean sheet.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Sam Allardyce went to Everton and just worked on the defence, they seem to have turned a corner now, as have Palace. If anything we need to be more defensive, or at least work on re-establishing our defence, from which to attack. Blindly attacking teams is a recipe for disaster. This Saturday for example our first objective needs to be a clean sheet.

I absolutely agree! blindly attacking teams would most defiantly be a recipe for disaster!! Thankfully not one person on here has suggested that :thumbsup:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I’m in the frustrated camp. I totally agree that we should be keeping games against the better sides in this division tight. If we nick a goal, defend even deeper. If we go behind, maybe keep it tight still until the last fifteen but have a bloody go. I’d rather concede two in the last ten minutes by playing two up top and trying to put some pressure on the opposition than come away losing by one or two goals and never offering anything.

As for games like Huddersfield, surely we have to target a win there. I’m not belittling Huddersfield at all, it’s a six pointer. Why play for one?

We have to be more adventurous. I believe some players, AK in particular, have been told to reign it in and check back rather than play their game. We need to take risks in the final third. Break with pace, push players on. This doesn’t need to be suicidal. If Stephens goes, Propper sits. Look at the latters recent goal scoring record for the Dutch. Get him up there supporting the attack.

Finally, you make your own luck. Spurs scored with a cross. United scores from a deflected shot that was going wide. If you don’t get into those positions, Lady Luck can’t play her part

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here