Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton Attack

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
He hasn't got a best 11 to choose from.
Attacking the manager for not being able to get a large quantity of goals from H&M is laughable.

If the OP is so desperate to find someone to blame he needs to start with Uncle Tony and then work down through Barber-out before getting to Winstanley and Hughton.

I'm saying he's got to find the best 11 from what he has available to him.
Hopefully Jan transfer window will change that.
CH is the man that TB wanted, so he will see it through.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Our approach to games is not really different to just about every other team with whom we can realistically expect to compete with. Stay in the game, and hope that you take a chance when it comes. Burnely don't do anything different - pragmatic approach that has kept them in the Division, having been relegated before, and allows them to build. The previous England Manager has made a career out of it.. the fact that our squad is not as good as others yet is not our fault. The fact that Stephens isn't at the same level as the midfield maestros at the top Clubs kind of dictates that he shouldn't try and play that way. Similarly, David Silva playing for us is unlikely to transform our ability to play teams off the park by attacking all the time. He might mean that we would be better at taking those rare chances when they come, but not that we could then play like Man City.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Could not disagree more. He is the only hope we have of staying up in my opinion, there is not another realistic manager out there who would stand a better chance of keeping us up.

With the limited squad we have ability wise and to be honest, very little hope of signing this fantasy striker who's going to score 20 premier league goals a season, we are going to need his calm approach, excellent man management and organisation skills to give us a chance.

el punal

Whoops! This is a classic own-goal thread. I think Chris Hughton knows the strengths and weaknesses of the team a damn sight better than all of us, so I let him judge what tactics are best. By the way, regardless of our current form, we are 13th in the table. Now I wonder how we achieved that?

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I think we should be keeping the faith in Chris but I am not happy watching 11 players behind the ball. We gained our promotion to the Premier League by playing good attractive football and I hope Chris will listen to the fans and play football the way most of us would like to see.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Yeah I know, the problem is only 10 of them are fully up to it.
H&M were never going to be prolific and with nobody else I'm reacting to the word 'best' in a thread about attacking and scoring.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The fact is that we were still in the game until late on, and we were only trailing to another jammy flukey spawny goal.

We're not going to create too many chances against Spurs but the golden chance did come, to Hemed, who fired it right at Loris when a couple of feet either side would have seen us get level. After Murray's trio of misses against Liverpool at key moments in the game, I find myself asking "what if?" once again.

This every time.

Two frustrating things stopped the plan from working beautifully.

1. Another spawny goal
2. Our strikers not being good enough

Other than that we could easily have nicked it last night. Yes, it's certainly not pretty, but it's the only way we have ANY chance in these games.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
There is a lot of bile thrown at Wagner, but he has set up Huddersfield to go for teams who he realises are there for the taking, but he also has told his players not to be afraid of teams...yes they have been dicked a few times, but at home they have won some very good games by having a go.

And if, come the end of the season we are tied on points for 17th with huddersfield, they will be relegated because of this.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
If only we had someone who could put away the chances. We don't create much, but when we do, it's usually fluffed wide or passed to the keeper. More/better firepower will see us through.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Chris Hughton has done an amazing job in getting us to the promised land, I completely accept I will get flamed and shot down by many, but I think his job is now done here, he has a past history of being very defensive, last night the tactical line up of 11 defenders clearly did not work and never will.

In any League game where the winner gets 3 points, you just as well lose 5...0 as lose 1....0..... I have lived in a Rugby world for many years and for the life of me I have never ever understood the Welsh thinking behind "yes we lost 36 - 12 but what a great performance!!!"............ REALLY?? .......you LOST!! .... Don't get me wrong, if a team does go down fighting I am happy to say "yeah at least you tried" but you clearly did not try hard enough!

I am happy to be corrected, but in all my years of following football, I have never seen or known a constantly successful defensive team!

There is only one way to defend and thats ATTACK! sadly attack is not in CH vocabulary.

Please do discuss......I am more than happy to be corrected :thumbsup:

Attack? What with?

You'd have made a good World War 1 general. Attack! Never mind the consequences or that we don't have the right tools to breach the defences, just attack and damn the consequences! Pluck and spirit will see us victorious!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The fact is that we were still in the game until late on, and we were only trailing to another jammy flukey spawny goal.

We're not going to create too many chances against Spurs but the golden chance did come, to Hemed, who fired it right at Loris when a couple of feet either side would have seen us get level. After Murray's trio of misses against Liverpool at key moments in the game, I find myself asking "what if?" once again.

There unfortunately are a lot of "what if?" moments this season that at the moment seem like they could cost us our place in the promised land like at Bournmouth, Watford, when our lack of experience showed up. Considering we are a newly promoted club with essentially the same squad we have done well and over time building on this squad those "what if?" moments should be another teams problem.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think we should be keeping the faith in Chris but I am not happy watching 11 players behind the ball. We gained our promotion to the Premier League by playing good attractive football and I hope Chris will listen to the fans and play football the way most of us would like to see.

Sorry to disappoint but this was ALWAYS how the Premier League was going to play out for us. If you want us playing attacking, expansive football, and winning games rather than getting torn apart as we do so, then I'm afraid you need to see a relegation first. The football you want to see is not what we can deliver at this level. Honestly, look at our squad, we are doing the absolute best with it in my opinion. We've FAR exceeded what our fears were when the window shut and we hadn't signed a striker.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

If we play the same attacking football in the Premier with the majority of the same players that we had in the championship, shirley the results would be the same and maybe we could win it ???

sir Chris is working with what essentially is a good championship squad with a handful of players good enough to be in a premier league bottom half team.....this season he as much as anyone is learning if those players can step up improve or not. We cannot go all out attack as we simply don't have players good enough to do that as 1 erratic pass at this level will cost a goal and in case of Liverpool 1 chance missed and players up field within 30 seconds a goal conceded at other end....play cautiously with what we have is our only chance of getting any points let alone enough to try and keep us in the league. 1 exception was Huddersfield where Chris admitted he had to look at himself as well as all the players as we were poor which you have to give him a lot of credit for admitting he got it wrong. World class players we don't have and only hard work defending with our lives staying organised and hitting a team on the break and taking any chances that come is the only thing our current squad is capable of

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

But we haven't got the players to be able to do that in the premier league, that's the point.

He will make the odd mistake team selection and tactics wise as all managers do but I honestly believe he is getting the absolute maximum out of this squad.

el punal

Well said. Compared to other Premier League clubs we are under strength. We have done marvellously well to be as high up the table as we are despite struggling over the last few weeks. Some of our fans forget that at the start of the season we were deemed relegation fodder and that to survive we would lose a lot of games and have to scrap for every point to survive. That is exactly what is happening.

Get through to January relatively unscathed and we can strengthen the squad with players that are required in key positions. It's a long, hard journey but we are still on the road and still going in the right direction.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Without doubt our recruitment in January will dictate whether we are a PL club next season.

With the greatest of respect you can’t play attacking football when you have Murray and Hemed as your strikers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here