Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton Attack

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Only 1 team in 17 games has scored more than 2 against us. That to me is impressive. We have a serious issue re goals scored but we always knew that. Let's see what magic Bloom and Hughton come up with in the January transfer window. If we can get the front end we will be fine. I am still very confident we will stay up and Chris deserves to go about his business without too much stick. He has got 99% of things right so far. Let's not be another Newcastle or Norwich please that is the very least he deserves

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Only 1 team in 17 games has scored more than 2 against us. That to me is impressive. We have a serious issue re goals scored but we always knew that. Let's see what magic Bloom and Hughton come up with in the January transfer window. If we can get the front end we will be fine. I am still very confident we will stay up and Chris deserves to go about his business without too much stick. He has got 99% of things right so far. Let's not be another Newcastle or Norwich please that is the very least he deserves

Of course. The CH poll showed virtually everyone is behind the guy.

Bloom and Winstanley need to give him the players to regularly win PL games of football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It's not that impressive if they only have to score 2 goals to take all 3 points.

Brighton have only scored 2 or 3 goals in 3 games, even then still managing to drop 2 points along the way.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. CH is doing the best he can with a limited squad, especially attacking wise. I can’t think of another manager who could improve on what Chris has achieved with the tools he has to hand. Recently we have been giving the ball away far too frequently and making errors that are always punished at this level. These problems are down to the players to fix, not the manager. All he can do is try and restore the players confidence, which will only happen when we get our next win.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. CH is doing the best he can with a limited squad, especially attacking wise. I can’t think of another manager who could improve on what Chris has achieved with the tools he has to hand. Recently we have been giving the ball away far too frequently and making errors that are always punished at this level. These problems are down to the players to fix, not the manager. All he can do is try and restore the players confidence, which will only happen when we get our next win.

You could have the best striker in the world and he would struggle if he doesn't get the right service. Hemed got one decent chance last night and hit the target. If we could keep possession better and play further up the field things would be easier. Oscar always used to say possession was the best form of defence as the opposition can't score when you have the ball.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
You could have the best striker in the world and he would struggle if he doesn't get the right service. Hemed got one decent chance last night and hit the target. If we could keep possession better and play further up the field things would be easier. Oscar always used to say possession was the best form of defence as the opposition can't score when you have the ball.

Exactly. We have been losing possession, in midfield, far too much, recently, and have been punished for it. This has resulted in a dramatic loss in confidence which has had a major impact on the togetherness of the squad.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Oscar always used to say possession was the best form of defence as the opposition can't score when you have the ball.

Generally speaking possession of the ball is the best form of attack and defence, and our possession has been lacking recently because we are being actively pressed more. We struggle more, all over the pitch, when pressed and teams must know this. I don't know the best way to 'combat' that. I guess being generally quicker so we move possession around more, but that is much easier said than done!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

OG's football was a slow, boring passing game, with opposing teams sitting back to defend against it with ease.

CH's style, which has given Albion fans the best football in 35 years, is for the team to sit deep and counter attack at pace. The problem this season being the club failed in 4 and half months to provide CH with the players to achieve this at PL level.

Not only is a striker required, midfield needs (PL level) pace too, to make it work.

Possession isn't the be all and end all. But getting outclassed in recent games and offering nothing up front, means mistakes are getting punished.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Its all all very well demanding to buy a quality striker. Finding one who can and wants to come remains the issue since the last window.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Unlike yourself and others maybe, work does not allow me the opportunity to reply on a constant basis that and the fact I had a couple of hours sleep after attending the game last night and still had to be in work for 7.15am.....if you want to see it as a rant or trolling then you are entitled to your opinion, as I am, I can assure you it is not though.

As my opening post stated, I really feel CH has done an amazing job in getting us to where he has now, but I honestly don't think his style of management is right to keep us up.

Were you at the game last night? if so and you really thought we did play well or ok / gave a decent performance against a top 6 side / did the best etc etc etc then fine, I personally did not, and if you read other threads / posts many others felt the same, anything I have said in the last 2 posts are purely my thoughts and opinions, if you don't like them, thats fine by me.
Fair enough and I apologise for suggesting your were trolling.

To answer your question I didn't go to the game but I did watch it on TV. What I saw was a bunch of technically inferior players doing their best against one of the best teams in Europe who conceded a ridiculously unlucky goal and who could, with a bit more luck come away with a point. It is my opinion that if we had gone more attacking in this game, or united, city and arsenal, we would have ended up getting stuffed. You suggest that a 5-1 type scoreline is no different to an unlucky 2-0 but I disagree. I think it makes a big difference in terms of confidence and self belief. Although we have lost a few recently the team is still in good shape in these areas because we have not been hammered. Hughton is doing a good job in the circumstances.

Who would you replace Hughton with that could do better than that?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Its all all very well demanding to buy a quality striker. Finding one who can and wants to come remains the issue since the last window.
And the recruitment team has had another four months to work on finding them. I guess it's just possible that they may have found a few possibles.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Chris Hughton has done an amazing job in getting us to the promised land, I completely accept I will get flamed and shot down by many, but I think his job is now done here, he has a past history of being very defensive, last night the tactical line up of 11 defenders clearly did not work and never will.

In any League game where the winner gets 3 points, you just as well lose 5...0 as lose 1....0..... I have lived in a Rugby world for many years and for the life of me I have never ever understood the Welsh thinking behind "yes we lost 36 - 12 but what a great performance!!!"............ REALLY?? .......you LOST!! .... Don't get me wrong, if a team does go down fighting I am happy to say "yeah at least you tried" but you clearly did not try hard enough!

I am happy to be corrected, but in all my years of following football, I have never seen or known a constantly successful defensive team!

There is only one way to defend and thats ATTACK! sadly attack is not in CH vocabulary.

Please do discuss......I am more than happy to be corrected :thumbsup:

WRONG! :wrong: So you think Pochettino, Mourinho, Klopp & Guardiola would be able to get more out of our shower of shite than Hughton? Really, wake up the players aren't good enough.

Hughton will keep us up, and that is all we could have hoped for at the start of season.

Get feckin real J.R. Hartley :fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing: :xmas:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

Can I ask what you do for a living? just a job title will be fine, I'm not after you revealing your personal details.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
WRONG! :wrong: So you think Pochettino, Mourinho, Klopp & Guardiola would be able to get more out of our shower of shite than Hughton? Really, wake up the players aren't good enough.

Hughton will keep us up, and that is all we could have hoped for at the start of season.

Get feckin real J.R. Hartley :fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing: :xmas:

Have you read the whole thread or just my opening post?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Have you read the whole thread or just my opening post?

Just your opening post. :shrug:

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
You're wrong, completely wrong. Attack is the best form of defence attitude would get us absolutely battered in the majority of games at this level, and we'd all be screaming how hopelessly naive that is, and we need a manager who can set us up to be harder to beat.

To want Hughton out, saying "his job here is done" honestly mate, have a word with yourself.

You cannot take the game to the elite teams they would not just defeat you,they would thrash you and morale would be such that even teams in the lower end of the table would be looking forward to playing us,Chris is doing his best to setting up a pattern of play to keep the goals against total as low as possible

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
100% behind him, it’s beggars belief to me how anyone can think otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

A shower of shite? Really? Did you really mean that? I mean REALLY?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Fair enough and I apologise for suggesting your were trolling.

To answer your question I didn't go to the game but I did watch it on TV. What I saw was a bunch of technically inferior players doing their best against one of the best teams in Europe who conceded a ridiculously unlucky goal and who could, with a bit more luck come away with a point. It is my opinion that if we had gone more attacking in this game, or united, city and arsenal, we would have ended up getting stuffed. You suggest that a 5-1 type scoreline is no different to an unlucky 2-0 but I disagree. I think it makes a big difference in terms of confidence and self belief. Although we have lost a few recently the team is still in good shape in these areas because we have not been hammered. Hughton is doing a good job in the circumstances.

Who would you replace Hughton with that could do better than that?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Thanks, but really no need to apologise, its a message board, we all have different opinions, but apology most certainly accepted :thumbsup:

To reply to your next sentence..... I honestly think you see more at a live game than on telly, what I saw was a team (Brighton) being instructed to defend at all cost's against a really badly team (Spurs) who were playing crap! they did have loads of possession, but we let them have that by adopting an 11 man defense, as for one of the best teams in Europe, yes they have done well in the group stages, but they have also recently proved that against "lesser" premier league opposition, they really have not done well at all, the results show that (Burnley, West Brom, Swansea etc) I agree, my 5...0 to 2...0 loss was probably not thought out that well when I typed it, BUT what I did see last night that at 1 down we still time wasted and our passing (hoofing it back to them) was relentless............All that said, my opinions are not just on last night (yes it provoked me to start the thread) I genuinely feel we have a good team of players, I just don't believe they are being directed properly, It is down to the manager to get the best out of the players, in my opinion he is not doing that.

The next 2 games will probably sort this debate out (certainly short term) I pray to god we win them both, I hope we win them both 10 nil and hundreds of people on here bounce this thread and take the piss out of me :lol: I SO WANT US TO WIN.........I am not blinkered in what the expectations are, I understand our mission is nothing more than survival, my fear is we won't survive, my job makes me always look ahead (Programs on building sites) I am doing that with our fixture list and wit what I honestly believe is CH structure I am scared shitless it will fail.....

Who would I replace CH with.........I will think about that and try and give an honest and sensible answer in a bit (need to eat my dinner)

Thanks for your structured reply and more importantly, your opinions :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here