Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton Attack

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
The same WBA who sat back at Anfield but according to Sky created a hell of a lot more than we did and could have easily scored on a few occasions. Fine dividing line.....

Which one of their "experts" came out with that comment? I'll wait.[/QUOTE]

Ermm..the reporter at the game. Commenting on WBA having sat back were now probing and causing Liverpool some problems. Describing in some detail their attacks.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I wish people would stop panicing.

Really, only the Hudds away performance was really below par.

Beat Burnley on Saturday and then be half way to the 40 points promised land (although I'd guess 37 will be enough this season).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Attack the idiots say.

That certainly worked well for the charge of the light brigade.

So, lets assume by some divine intervention CH goes rogue and throws caution to the wind.

We then go on a run of 0-4 2-7 1-5 1-4 3-5 2-4 no doubt the idiots will be happy, look we are attacking we've scored 9 goals in our last 6 games. Yes, but we have zero points and have conceded 29.
Goal difference -23

Brilliant idea.

Until, and if, we get a team which is the same quality of the top 6 we won't be changing our approach.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
The last few weeks since the Man Utd game have been terrible performances and we have lacked any kind of creativity to even look like scoring .

Just hope that this striker comes in 1st January and not 31st otherwise we could be in real trouble by then

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
This every time.

Two frustrating things stopped the plan from working beautifully.

1. Another spawny goal
2. Our strikers not being good enough

Other than that we could easily have nicked it last night. Yes, it's certainly not pretty, but it's the only way we have ANY chance in these games.

There is another reason in my view, the midfield, l do not think they have been firing for a few games now. When this happens it puts extra pressure on the defence, and the forward(s) do not get any service.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Without doubt our recruitment in January will dictate whether we are a PL club next season.

With the greatest of respect you can’t play attacking football when you have Murray and Hemed as your strikers.

THIS. With massive shiny festive bells on. Quite frankly I’m amazed that we’ve got the points we have.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
No point singing a new striker if the other 10 players are defending our box whilst he is stood 50 yards away on his own
Problem is the opposition know we’re toothless upfront, they can press us and pile men forward knowing we’re not going to create anything on the break.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Where the actual **** has this sense of entitlement come from?

We are due a blip and we were due a drubbing. People legitimately think we should have got a result against a team that topped its Champions league group which had Bayern Munich and Real Madrid in it? Do behave. a 2-0 loss is nothing to be ashamed of.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So you're saying we don't have players as good as David Silva?
And if we had a team as talented as Arsenal we could attack sides more, and still have to endure "getting dicked a few times."

Ok. Thanks.

where have I said that? people are so precious these days....I take it you didn't read this bit "I know we mustn't compare as it means nothing,"

i am talking about players who are not afraid of attacking...but of course you knew that

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Chris Hughton has done an amazing job in getting us to the promised land, I completely accept I will get flamed and shot down by many, but I think his job is now done here, he has a past history of being very defensive, last night the tactical line up of 11 defenders clearly did not work and never will.

In any League game where the winner gets 3 points, you just as well lose 5...0 as lose 1....0..... I have lived in a Rugby world for many years and for the life of me I have never ever understood the Welsh thinking behind "yes we lost 36 - 12 but what a great performance!!!"............ REALLY?? .......you LOST!! .... Don't get me wrong, if a team does go down fighting I am happy to say "yeah at least you tried" but you clearly did not try hard enough!

I am happy to be corrected, but in all my years of following football, I have never seen or known a constantly successful defensive team!

There is only one way to defend and thats ATTACK! sadly attack is not in CH vocabulary.

Please do discuss......I am more than happy to be corrected :thumbsup:

His job is far from done. His job is to keep us in the Premier League, which he can do. That survival will be built around judicious decision making and caution. It's not secured through an all guns blazing attitude.

Once we have consolidated, then his job will be done and at the appropriate time I hope he'll recognise that and we will have a succession rather than a sacking.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Liverpool and Spurs were always likely to beat us..... it's games like Huddersfield that if he has too many of will cost him.

That's about the only disaster so far though Bournemouth wasn't our finest hour. One game was unlucky but the other I was disappointed by.

I think he's the best man for the job though and think we'll be fine and then build on a steady start longer term.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Look at our squad and then re think your post, we don't even have a PL quality striker yet.
Hopefully we will get the Pl striker this January window but it might take a few windows with 2-4 players coming in each time to compete with attacking flair and rock-solid defence. So staying in the PL is a must with the riches that it brings to buy said players.

D

Deleted member 2719

Look at our squad and then re think your post, we don't even have a PL quality striker yet.

With a premier league striker, would Chris set his side up to have ago at home where STH are paying their money to be entertained???

Chris is a one trick pony and that has been there from day one.

It's not my type of football it reminds me of watching the Italian football on CH 4 back in the day, tedious.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Most of the managers who come in work on the defence, get that tightened up and they start winning games because they have the fire power up front. I doubt anyone coming in will be able to organise the defence better. That leaves the midfield, attack, wingers and formation.

Strikers we have a problem end off.

Wingers as they do have been running hot and cold Solly came on and changed the game and we started looking dangerous. He probably is better than Izquierdo but does not have his pace and more latterly seems a bit scared to take it on further and shoot himself. AK is not the stand out player he was , his defensive work is good his attacking work is poorer. harder defences maybe or perhaps he is putting in too much work at the back.

Midfield , difficult for them as they don't seem to have the outlets so look to pass back, but that said when they do have outlets they don't use them. Maybe strikers will solve this problem but I not convinced whilst I like Gross and Propper we need someone to be able to work some magic and pick the balls when the new strikers come in.

The one thing a new manager might change is formation , I think we stick to the 4 4 2 format too rigidly , there are other options and one of those might suit our current crop of players better. Using the same format has its advantages as it creates discipline but different teams really demand different approaches.

So for me CH stays but really has to think more about winning. I appreciate people's comments about goal difference but only matter when it comes down to equal points tallies, get more points and the issue disappears.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here