Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton Attack

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Liverpool and Spurs were always likely to beat us..... it's games like Huddersfield that if he has too many of will cost him.

That's about the only disaster so far though Bournemouth wasn't our finest hour. One game was unlucky but the other I was disappointed by.

I think he's the best man for the job though and think we'll be fine and then build on a steady start longer term.

Successive home draws against Everton, Southampton, Stoke and Palace weren't "our finest hour" either.

Chris Hughton has done an amazing job in getting us to the promised land, I completely accept I will get flamed and shot down by many, but I think his job is now done here, he has a past history of being very defensive, last night the tactical line up of 11 defenders clearly did not work and never will.

In any League game where the winner gets 3 points, you just as well lose 5...0 as lose 1....0..... I have lived in a Rugby world for many years and for the life of me I have never ever understood the Welsh thinking behind "yes we lost 36 - 12 but what a great performance!!!"............ REALLY?? .......you LOST!! .... Don't get me wrong, if a team does go down fighting I am happy to say "yeah at least you tried" but you clearly did not try hard enough!

I am happy to be corrected, but in all my years of following football, I have never seen or known a constantly successful defensive team!

There is only one way to defend and thats ATTACK! sadly attack is not in CH vocabulary.

Please do discuss......I am more than happy to be corrected :thumbsup:

I think with the right manager we could push for European football! Someone like Curbs?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Successive home draws against Everton, Southampton, Stoke and Palace weren't "our finest hour" either.

To be fair, we drew against Everton as a result of an individual's decision making rather than CH's tactics, we also had a penalty disallowed against Stoke. The real one of the lot was a against Palace...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Chris Hughton has done an amazing job in getting us to the promised land, I completely accept I will get flamed and shot down by many, but I think his job is now done here, he has a past history of being very defensive, last night the tactical line up of 11 defenders clearly did not work and never will.

In any League game where the winner gets 3 points, you just as well lose 5...0 as lose 1....0..... I have lived in a Rugby world for many years and for the life of me I have never ever understood the Welsh thinking behind "yes we lost 36 - 12 but what a great performance!!!"............ REALLY?? .......you LOST!! .... Don't get me wrong, if a team does go down fighting I am happy to say "yeah at least you tried" but you clearly did not try hard enough!

I am happy to be corrected, but in all my years of following football, I have never seen or known a constantly successful defensive team!

There is only one way to defend and thats ATTACK! sadly attack is not in CH vocabulary.

Please do discuss......I am more than happy to be corrected [emoji106]
His plan is designed to work over an entire season not individual games. It is about consistency and confidence. IMHO it is working and we need to stick with him. If we stay up and in a few seasons time he doesn't adapt to the new situation then by all means we should look for someone more suitable. Right now I don't think there is a better equipped manager to deal with our situation. It's horses for courses he is doing exactly what I would expect a quality manager to do with our current squad of players.

Out of interest, who would you replace him with?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Spurs dropped points at home to lower opposition:

Burnley got a 93min equaliser at Spurs having just 33% of the ball and spending a large portion in their own third.

Swansea draw 0-0 and barely got out of their half, had no shots on target, 25% of the ball.

West Brom drew 1-1 scored early, had 27% of the ball and defended the majority of the game.

There is a mythology from fans than you go and attack these top sides and you get something. It is statistically wrong. You analyse the statistics of the dropped points at home from the big sides against lower opposition, and you will find them with sub 30-35% of the ball, few chances and corners, and scrambling to a draw or single goal win.

The whole idea you bowl up and play attacking football is a romantic notion by fans, not backed by an actual approach that has more chance of delivering points when they do rarely happen. They got a lucky goal at the end of the first half that changed the game.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
As Bozza has said some are forgetting the chances to score that we have created. In the last 15 minutes against Arsenal we had 2 near misses, at Old Trafford 3, again against Liverpool 3 and last night 1. We are not getting the rub of the green. Flukey goals against and no luck in front of goal. Perhaps our luck will turn and confidence will be restored.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Is this really the way Hughton wants to play though? Or has he adapted his strategy to be more defensive than usual because the club have effectively asked him to manage in the PL with one hand tied behind his back ever since they failed to sign a striker that is fit for this level of football?

I can't help but think that taking an attacking approach when you've got the worst strikeforce in PL history would be unlikely to work.

This is the reality. Frustrating though it is we simply do not have the resources,at this point in time, to play any other way. After January, who knows.....we can but hope the recruitment team will have the right players lined up to improve on what we currently have. If not the whole season is going to be nip and tuck and there will be an awful lot more bed wetting on here!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is the reality. Frustrating though it is we simply do not have the resources,at this point in time, to play any other way. After January, who knows.....we can but hope the recruitment team will have the right players lined up to improve on what we currently have. If not the whole season is going to be nip and tuck and there will be an awful lot more bed wetting on here!!

I think the season is going to be like that anyway, and if we stay up he next one and the next one. Its the nature of the beast I am afraid. If we want expansive and attacking football we are going to have to wait or get relegated.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Most of the managers who come in work on the defence, get that tightened up and they start winning games because they have the fire power up front. I doubt anyone coming in will be able to organise the defence better. That leaves the midfield, attack, wingers and formation.

Strikers we have a problem end off.

Wingers as they do have been running hot and cold Solly came on and changed the game and we started looking dangerous. He probably is better than Izquierdo but does not have his pace and more latterly seems a bit scared to take it on further and shoot himself. AK is not the stand out player he was , his defensive work is good his attacking work is poorer. harder defences maybe or perhaps he is putting in too much work at the back.

Midfield , difficult for them as they don't seem to have the outlets so look to pass back, but that said when they do have outlets they don't use them. Maybe strikers will solve this problem but I not convinced whilst I like Gross and Propper we need someone to be able to work some magic and pick the balls when the new strikers come in.

The one thing a new manager might change is formation , I think we stick to the 4 4 2 format too rigidly , there are other options and one of those might suit our current crop of players better. Using the same format has its advantages as it creates discipline but different teams really demand different approaches.

So for me CH stays but really has to think more about winning. I appreciate people's comments about goal difference but only matter when it comes down to equal points tallies, get more points and the issue disappears.

442? Haven't witnessed that much this season. We play with one VERY isolated forward from what I've seen.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
4 pages in and to be honest with you, the word "IF" has been used a zillion times in this thread! it's not about "IF" it is about doing something now to maintain our Premier League status! when we are at a point of no return and doomed back to the Championship (which I truly believe some of you would prefer!) IF this and IF that will mean **** all - and to those of you that think we are going into games against the top 8 sides and we should not expect to get too much out of them.........please DO ONE!! Chris Hughton said in his after match interview "it was always going to be tough to come here and get something" OH WHAT A GREAT ATTITUDE!! What was he saying in the dressing room prior to the game and at half time? "Don't worry lads no one expects us to get **** all" FFS!!! positivity is what is required and another thing, if we don't have the right players to compete in this league......can we stop paying them shit loads of money a week to turn up and park a bus, send passes astray like a Sunday pub team does and play cack football like they did last night!! oh and if anyone really thought Spurs were good last night.....they were shit as well.....we just made them look good!!

NOW is the time to sort it out, we have some great players, they need to be allowed to show what they can do not be told to form an 11 man defense and "IF" we get the ball try and do something on the break!! ....it is 11 men against 11 men for 90 minutes, both teams have the same chances, both teams are playing on the same surface, both teams can create the same luck! if the first goal was lucky...big deal.....Loris was so far out of his goal for a large part of the game we should have hammered one over his head and scored a lucky one back!!! but no....we decided to hoof it back to them to let them have another go......WE NEED TO MAN UP...GROW A PAIR AND GO AND COMPETE WITH THE BEST IN THE WORLD!! IT IS OUR ONE CHANCE!!!.............................................LEICESTER CITY!!!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
4 pages in and to be honest with you, the word "IF" has been used a zillion times in this thread! it's not about "IF" it is about doing something now to maintain our Premier League status! when we are at a point of no return and doomed back to the Championship (which I truly believe some of you would prefer!) IF this and IF that will mean **** all - and to those of you that think we are going into games against the top 8 sides and we should not expect to get too much out of them.........please DO ONE!! Chris Hughton said in his after match interview "it was always going to be tough to come here and get something" OH WHAT A GREAT ATTITUDE!! What was he saying in the dressing room prior to the game and at half time? "Don't worry lads no one expects us to get **** all" FFS!!! positivity is what is required and another thing, if we don't have the right players to compete in this league......can we stop paying them shit loads of money a week to turn up and park a bus, send passes astray like a Sunday pub team does and play cack football like they did last night!! oh and if anyone really thought Spurs were good last night.....they were shit as well.....we just made them look good!!

NOW is the time to sort it out, we have some great players, they need to be allowed to show what they can do not be told to form an 11 man defense and "IF" we get the ball try and do something on the break!! ....it is 11 men against 11 men for 90 minutes, both teams have the same chances, both teams are playing on the same surface, both teams can create the same luck! if the first goal was lucky...big deal.....Loris was so far out of his goal for a large part of the game we should have hammered one over his head and scored a lucky one back!!! but no....we decided to hoof it back to them to let them have another go......WE NEED TO MAN UP...GROW A PAIR AND GO AND COMPETE WITH THE BEST IN THE WORLD!! IT IS OUR ONE CHANCE!!!.............................................LEICESTER CITY!!!!

This is like one of those youtube rants you see from West Ham or Arsenal fans...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

So Hughton goes, who will replace him and do a better job on this budget with these player (plus the additional one(s) coming in January?

You have started this thread and asked for a discussion, when offered one you have chosen to ignore the points being made while telling anyone who disagrees with you to 'do one! and ranting.

Thankfully our manager is not throwing his toys out of the pram in such a manner and will continue his pragmatic work at our well run football club.

On further consideration I am picking that this is in fact a fishing/trolling trip rather than a genuine attempt to express an opinion or start a discussion.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I think there he's not really found his best 11 yet, I know that's probably a tad leftfield, but with a couple of first team players coming back, Baldock and Kayal, he's got to find a fine balance between spending the right money and getting the best out of the players he has.
The first thing is getting confidence back.

Problem is one minute baldocks on the bench next not in squad like kayal if not given a run or chance how are we suppose to rotate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Problem is one minute baldocks on the bench next not in squad like kayal if not given a run or chance how are we suppose to rotate

I guess someone seeing the players every day in training is better to judge if they're ready to play any particular game, including whether tactically they fit in to the expected game plan for the upcoming match. We also know the club/CH are always extremely cautious about players returning from injury.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is like one of those youtube rants you see from West Ham or Arsenal fans...

haha yes well done, absolutely spot on.

The other team are shite and we made them look good, the only thing missing is:-

'WE SHOULD BE BEATING TEAMS LIKE SPUDS'. :rant:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I guess someone seeing the players every day in training is better to judge if they're ready to play any particular game, including whether tactically they fit in to the expected game plan for the upcoming match. We also know the club/CH are always extremely cautious about players returning from injury.

I’m not disagreeing but like Schelotto looks why off the pace because lack of game time . For me we should of played schelotto , kayal , goldson and baldock all at Utd taken the hit improved there fitness then played the strongest attacking possible at the terriers . We seem to be doing it the wrong way round must target the more winnable games

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
So Hughton goes, who will replace him and do a better job on this budget with these player (plus the additional one(s) coming in January?

You have started this thread and asked for a discussion, when offered one you have chosen to ignore the points being made while telling anyone who disagrees with you to 'do one! and ranting.

Thankfully our manager is not throwing his toys out of the pram in such a manner and will continue his pragmatic work at our well run football club.

On further consideration I am picking that this is in fact a fishing/trolling trip rather than a genuine attempt to express an opinion or start a discussion.

Unlike yourself and others maybe, work does not allow me the opportunity to reply on a constant basis that and the fact I had a couple of hours sleep after attending the game last night and still had to be in work for 7.15am.....if you want to see it as a rant or trolling then you are entitled to your opinion, as I am, I can assure you it is not though.

As my opening post stated, I really feel CH has done an amazing job in getting us to where he has now, but I honestly don't think his style of management is right to keep us up.

Were you at the game last night? if so and you really thought we did play well or ok / gave a decent performance against a top 6 side / did the best etc etc etc then fine, I personally did not, and if you read other threads / posts many others felt the same, anything I have said in the last 2 posts are purely my thoughts and opinions, if you don't like them, thats fine by me.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Unlike yourself and others maybe, work does not allow me the opportunity to reply on a constant basis that and the fact I had a couple of hours sleep after attending the game last night and still had to be in work for 7.15am.....if you want to see it as a rant or trolling then you are entitled to your opinion, as I am, I can assure you it is not though.

As my opening post stated, I really feel CH has done an amazing job in getting us to where he has now, but I honestly don't think his style of management is right to keep us up.

Were you at the game last night? if so and you really thought we did play well or ok / gave a decent performance against a top 6 side / did the best etc etc etc then fine, I personally did not, and if you read other threads / posts many others felt the same, anything I have said in the last 2 posts are purely my thoughts and opinions, if you don't like them, thats fine by me.

You are of course fully entitled to your opinion but I think you are horribly wrong.
No one was talking about negative tactics when we won 3-1 vs West Brom or 3-0 vs West Ham. You need to look at the job he has done over the whole season not just the last few games which were always going to be tough.
Also we are currently 13th and 3 points above the relegation zone - a position we all would have taken at the end of August when we were odds on favourites for relegation.
I'm sure Chris is as frustrated as the rest of us at the lack of a striker signing - this has limited him considerably but imho over the course of the season so far he has done an excellent job. Room for improvement? absolutely - but apart from Man City you could say that about all teams/managers

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No point singing a new striker if the other 10 players are defending our box whilst he is stood 50 yards away on his own

He wouldn't be - he'd be in our box with the other ten..................

Seriously though, of course we'd get slaughtered if we went gung-ho - and to be fair, I don't think many, if any, of the posters concerned about us being over-defence minded are saying they want us to go gung-ho either - although their are many who are quick to jump to that wrong conclusion and flame away.
Actually, Ernest's post has a touch of reality. Gung-ho not wanted, thank you very much, but it's been said before - and will be said again - if only Jose - or March or Knocky - was 50 yards away - well, standing by the centre circle anyway - when the rest of the team was in the box defending corners and set pieces. If we do buy this mythical 20 goal pacey striker in January, I'd be happy for him to be the one waiting on the centre circle offering an out ball - and, crucially, a threat.
I know CH won't do it, but that doesn't stop me wishing he would! And, btw, I 100% want him to stay.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here