[Albion] Burnley and Watford

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
7 points minimum if we want 37 points

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
4 points, regardless of performance, will go a long way to getting confidence back, on and off the field.

Brighton 2 Burnley 1
Brighton 1 Watford 1

(I'm on zero points in the NSC predictor, so don't ready anything into the above...)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Points from Burnley and Watford

What do we want?
What do we need?

My worry is we will draw both and CH will spin this positively.

In the Championship I could understand the mentality of sometimes accepting a draw as part of wanting to keep an unbeaten run going. I think it's a pointless thing to even consider in the Prem, as you WILL play a Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City etc every so often.

I'd far, FAR rather we won one and lost one. It's not just about the extra point, it's about the mentality of believing we belong here, and CAN beat "the other 13".

I think Hughton has plenty of credit in the bank, but I do worry about his slight knee jerk move towards over-cautiousness when things get tough.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Tbh I'm worried about these games because both are playing much better than their name has us expect. Anyone who saw how Watford attacked Chelsea at the Bridge earlier this season, and wow, simply wow, they could have had 6.

Meanwhile, Burnley are 5th. That doesn't happen by fluke, they are a good side, hard to break down, and I can see a turgid affair being settled by whoever takes their chance when it comes along.

Want - 6, obviously.
Need to win one of them just to for a boost to our confidence, and stop some of the insane bed-wetting on here. Home form needs to keep us up, and that means winning games rather than drawing. I'd happily take win one lose one.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Tbh I'm worried about these games because both are playing much better than their name has us expect. Anyone who saw how Watford attacked Chelsea at the Bridge earlier this season, and wow, simply wow, they could have had 6.

Meanwhile, Burnley are 5th. That doesn't happen by fluke, they are a good side, hard to break down, and I can see a turgid affair being settled by whoever takes their chance when it comes along.

Want - 6, obviously.
Need to win one of them just to for a boost to our confidence, and stop some of the insane bed-wetting on here. Home form needs to keep us up, and that means winning games rather than drawing. I'd happily take win one lose one.

Scoring a goal would be nice ...something we haven't done much of recently....Burnley seem to get involved in a fair number of 1/0 matches....and i think we might just do it ..based purely on gut feeling....this season resembles 79/80 ...when a 1/0 win at Forest through sheer hard work turned things round ...incidentally we had lost to Liverpool 4/1 at home not long before

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
4 in my opinion is what we should be aiming for. I can see Burnley being the more difficult side though, I think fatigue is hitting the squad hard though and we're against seasoned clubs now. This is where our disadvantage lies.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
.....must win games?

Fortunately l think it's too early to classify them as that., as l think we will probably only get two points for them at best. Burnley are on fire at the moment, and capable of finishing in the top half dozen in the league, whilst Watford at thei best, are very difficult to play against too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What do we want?
What do we need?

My worry is we will draw both and CH will spin this positively.

In the Championship I could understand the mentality of sometimes accepting a draw as part of wanting to keep an unbeaten run going. I think it's a pointless thing to even consider in the Prem, as you WILL play a Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City etc every so often.

I'd far, FAR rather we won one and lost one. It's not just about the extra point, it's about the mentality of believing we belong here, and CAN beat "the other 13".

I think Hughton has plenty of credit in the bank, but I do worry about his slight knee jerk move towards over-cautiousness when things get tough.

Agreed. Win one, lose one will do me, and I don't care which way round. Home draws will be like death by a thousand cuts.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I hear what you’re saying but given current form 3 points from another 4 games isn’t enough. If we want to stay up we need to be targeting a minimum of 2 wins in a bunch of games which features Burnley, Watford and Newcastle.

8 teams are on 1ppg or less. Survival is going to be around 37 points. 20 points from 20 sees on par, that is what I was saying, it certainly puts us under pressure, but I'd take it as keeping our noses above water. Pick up a win against Bournemouth, draw against West Brom, 24 from 23 and we are slightly ahead again.

It's way to early to be saying we need 2 wins from 3. A win, 2 draws and 2 defeats every 5 games will actually see us survive.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
8 teams are on 1ppg or less. Survival is going to be around 37 points. 20 points from 20 sees on par, that is what I was saying, it certainly puts us under pressure, but I'd take it as keeping our noses above water. Pick up a win against Bournemouth, draw against West Brom, 24 from 23 and we are slightly ahead again.

It's way to early to be saying we need 2 wins from 3. A win, 2 draws and 2 defeats every 5 games will actually see us survive.

Agree with that, except I think we're more likely to win against West From and draw against Bournemouth. The latter are much more like a team we don't like playing against - high tempo, and press up field. We just don't like that.

Last night Spurs were less high tempo than Liverpool and Huddersfield. They have 75% possession, but their tempo was something we could handle. Same with Man U in my opinion. I'm not saying Huddersfield or Bournemouth are better than Spurs and Manu U, but I am saying that managers who do their homework against us and teams who go onto the pitch against us prepared to put us to the sword tend to come out on top.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I wouldn't be jumping for joy, but 2 points would be ok. We really could do with winning one of them though, for morale and to perhaps take a little pressure off games that would become must win in the future if we don't win one of these! My prediction is 4, 1 against Burnley and 3 against Watford.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No. And I think expectations need to be based on our current form not a points total.

I would actually take 3 points from Burnley, Watford, Chelsea and Newcastle away and finish the year on 20 points. We then go into the New Year with a bit more belief ready for the home game against Bournemouth, then away to West Brom. By the time we face Chelsea, would be nice to be on 24 after 23 played.

At this point anything above that would be a real bonus.

At the start of the season, I said that I'd be happy if we'd got 22 points by the time 2017 was out the way. I remain of that view, so I'm hoping for five from our remaining four games this month.
If we manage that, not only will that help with signing that much needed striker, but it might secure us a slight upgrade in terms of quality, if that striker believes we've got a decent chance of remaining in the PL. Beyond that, I only really think we should target one more player (CM/DCM, or full back), but both have to be of requisite quality.
We also need to get these signings in early -- especially the striker -- as we've got six (out of seven) games in February that are winnable, and we'll probably need to get c10 points from those games, to put us in a strong position to stay up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here