Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 3rd Ashes test: Aus vs Eng at the WACA

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Other authorities then followed suit. When I was lad playing football for Holy Trinity school we had a local league but no more. Many on here run young boys teams, do they still have competitive leagues and that is just football without the likes of cricket rugby and basket ball etc.

My kids played competitive sport at primary school - although there were no leagues. My son plays rugby and cricket, both of which have competitive leagues.

My daughter's rugby team doesn't play in a competitive league, but that's because there are only four teams in Sussex, not because authorities have ruled competitive sport to be bad.

Still, it's a novel approach to blame our Ashes failure on Ken Livingstone

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
IMHO it goes back to the views of the ILEA and similar do gooders who stopped competitive sport in school in the 70s or 80s because it wasnt fair on those that were not good enough for the team
That view would have held water in the early noughties but not any more really. That ship sailed years ago and schools DO play competitive sport these days when they have the chance. Unfortunately the facilities aren't always there these days, and that is down to many reasons.

With cricket (and tennis) in particular, I think the real problem is that grass roots clubs do not do enough to encourage less advantage kids. I've seen it with my own eyes at one of the biggest cricket clubs in my area.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
That view would have held water in the early noughties but not any more really. That ship sailed years ago and schools DO play competitive sport these days when they have the chance. Unfortunately the facilities aren't always there these days, and that is down to many reasons.

With cricket (and tennis) in particular, I think the real problem is that grass roots clubs do not do enough to encourage less advantage kids. I've seen it with my own eyes at one of the biggest cricket clubs in my area.

Thank might be true in Surrey but having played cricket in the Bradford League, Central Manchester and Sussex League I can tell you that the first two do loads for less advantaged kids (and they do it, like all clubs, through some amazing volunteers who give their time and energy freely).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thank might be true in Surrey but having played cricket in the Bradford League, Central Manchester and Sussex League I can tell you that the first two do loads for less advantaged kids (and they do it, like all clubs, through some amazing volunteers who give their time and energy freely).

My club too has a policy that no kids should be turned away because of a lack of money. Don't think that Simster's local club is typical

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So here's my beef and I said it after last winter.

For all the talk about the composition of the bowling attack (which has now been embarrassed two winters in a row) it'll be forgotten about come the first test of the English summer when we'll likely give India and Pakistan all sorts of problems with 4 nibbly, English seamers and a batsman who bowls a bit of spin.

Even in English conditions, where it may mean not necessarily playing our best 11 for that particular test, we need to find space for a proper spin bowler and a quick and persist with them. It may mean getting worse before we get better.

The other option is we continue spanking teams over here and getting embarrassed abroad.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So here's my beef and I said it after last winter.

For all the talk about the composition of the bowling attack (which has now been embarrassed two winters in a row) it'll be forgotten about come the first test of the English summer when we'll likely give India and Pakistan all sorts of problems with 4 nibbly, English seamers and a batsman who bowls a bit of spin.

Even in English conditions, where it may mean not necessarily playing our best 11 for that particular test, we need to find space for a proper spin bowler and a quick and persist with them. It may mean getting worse before we get better.

The other option is we continue spanking teams over here and getting embarrassed abroad.
Yep, horses for courses.

I’d like to see more promising young players leaving their comfort zone and trying some Australian Grade cricket during the winter, or spinners going to India to learn their art from the best. Winter nets in indoor sports halls doesn’t cut it.

Counties should be setting these loans up routinely.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ben Duckett dropped for the Lions tour of West Indies is it little wonder that we do not win anything. I do not know how good he is but pouring a pint over somebody is not exactly the worst crime on this earth.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
As a result of not being 'out played', I am going to have to hand over $100 tonight at the club.
Wouldn't have minded if we had put up a fight and lost the series, but realistically we were never really in it.
No more cricketing bets for me from now on.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ben Duckett dropped for the Lions tour of West Indies is it little wonder that we do not win anything. I do not know how good he is but pouring a pint over somebody is not exactly the worst crime on this earth.

There was already a feeling that Duckett lacked maturity before this incident. Whilst it may not be the 'worst crime on earth,' given the narrative that is rightly or wrongly building about a lack of discipline in the ranks, it was far from helpful to the group's cause.

Though I do think the ECB has proved itself to be appalling at managing the welfare of players over the last 10 years or so. There's a decent first XI of players whose off field issues have affected their on field performances dramatically. I don't think its just a bizarre coincidence.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here