Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 3rd Ashes test: Aus vs Eng at the WACA

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Conditions do play such a part though in all cricket. I’ve seen the best ever England teams struggle in Australia and especially the sub continent.
Then last time at home against the Aussies didn’t we produce a couple of hard, bouncy strips.
Sod that.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Last hurrah for Broad and Anderson next summer on swing friendly conditions, quite probably the end of Cook next year although he may walk after this tour. Not an awful lot in the locker to replace them.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Were losse by an innings and plenty.

Batsmen aging, not good enough, out of form. Everyone from 7 downwards looks like walking wickets. Bowlers aging, injured and not fast enough, or only part time spinners (is Moeen a bowler who bats or a batsman that bowls?).

The main issue is that Australia are not that much better, except their batting doesn't surrender after 5 wickets down.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Lets not forget the last Ashes tour which was owned my Mitchell Johnson and saw [international] careers ended for Trott, Swann, Pietersen and Prior and the classic statement of "Finn is unselectable"

England have struggled for years to adapt to Aussie conditions - the WACA is Mitch Marsh's home track.
Until we can find decent 90+ mph bowlers we will always struggle to take 20 wickets on their tracks.

Unfortunately, we're doomed and I find Graham Swann's optimism childishly laughable - who is he kidding? Farbrace is no better either .... there's optimism and there's bullshit.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lets not forget the last Ashes tour which was owned my Mitchell Johnson and saw [international] careers ended for Trott, Swann, Pietersen and Prior

Different reasons though: Trott and Swann were mentally shot, Prior was injured and Pietersen was the fall guy. None of them really retired because they were ageing.

Bit different this time - Anderson looks on his last legs and Cook's reaction times are looking slower

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Different reasons though: Trott and Swann were mentally shot, Prior was injured and Pietersen was the fall guy. None of them really retired because they were ageing.

Bit different this time - Anderson looks on his last legs and Cook's reaction times are looking slower

Hard to locate any optimism. We've made Mitch Marsh look like Bradman. The 3 'undropables' (Jimmy, Broad and Cook) suddenly look 'unselectables'. Bit unfair on Jimmy A but on a flat wicket ...............As for Swann, I've never quite forgiven him for abandoning ship in the Ashes last series (and for being in love with himself).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
England have 5 bowlers who've bit hit for over 100 in this innings. I can't remember that happening before, truly awful.

Aussies having a thrash now as the declaration can't be far away.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
England 4/1 already. FFS.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I've thought for some time that maybe it's time for Anderson, Broad, Cook to be put out to pasture. Time for a clean sweep, we've been creaking for a few years now and you have to move on at some point. I have ZERO evidence to support this theory but I always get the feeling that Broad and Anderson are a bit poisonous to team morale, would happily see the back of their personalities if not their skills.

We were always going to lose this series heavily.
You probably have a point re Jimmy and broad though. They seem to have too much power.
But once we get back to England their shortcomings will be forgotten.
Even at his age, Anderson is by far the best bet in English conditions. And broad has years in him.
As for cook, I’m not sure he has the hunger in him anymore. So many miles on the clock. It will be a sad day when he retires as he has such integrity as a person.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sadly, I woke up to the predicable news..I think it's time for 5Live to stop trailing themselves as the "Ashes station" and programmes like" Ashes Breakfast "....

Getting sick of that Aussie girl with that nasal " The Ashes.... The fiercest rivalry in sport... " When it should be " The Shambles... The greatest embarrassment in sport "

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The commentators were saying how the cracks in the pitch will help England as we have so many left handers in the team and the ball will play better for them as being on their leg side It is a a good job that it has helped them so far. .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hard to locate any optimism. We've made Mitch Marsh look like Bradman. The 3 'undropables' (Jimmy, Broad and Cook) suddenly look 'unselectables'. Bit unfair on Jimmy A but on a flat wicket ...............As for Swann, I've never quite forgiven him for abandoning ship in the Ashes last series (and for being in love with himself).

I totally agree. I thought he was a great bowler up until that time when he took a bit of tap from the Aussies and spat his dummy and walked out. Now it seems he was a bit of a bully and a bit up himself. Suddenly, when the tables were turned it wasn't " Fun " anymore, but he's back to his cocky self though in the commentary box though now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A bit of perspective. Here's India's last few test series results in Australia:

2014/15 Aus 2-0 (4)
2011/12 Aus 4-0 (4)

And here's Australia in India:

2016/17 India 2-1 (4)
2012/13 India 4-0 (4)
2010/11 India 2-0 (2)

Pretty much every other test nation takes a beating Down Under, but Australia themselves struggle overseas in English and Indian conditions.

History tells you that England have a chance either when abroad when they have world class spinners or top bowlers in their pomp and you can take 20 wickets in a match. Presently we have neither; the sad fact is that 26 year-old Stokes could well have topped the charts in both runs and wickets and made a real difference.

You have to question what is most damaging to English cricket: having Stokes play for them now whilst on a charge, or taking a 5-0 pasting without him.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A bit of perspective. Here's India's last few test series results in Australia:

2014/15 Aus 2-0 (4)
2011/12 Aus 4-0 (4)

And here's Australia in India:

2016/17 India 2-1 (4)
2012/13 India 4-0 (4)
2010/11 India 2-0 (2)

Pretty much every other test nation takes a beating Down Under, but Australia themselves struggle overseas in English and Indian conditions.

History tells you that England have a chance either when abroad when they have world class spinners or top bowlers in their pomp and you can take 20 wickets in a match. Presently we have neither; the sad fact is that 26 year-old Stokes could well have topped the charts in both runs and wickets and made a real difference.

You have to question what is most damaging to English cricket: having Stokes play for them now whilst on a charge, or taking a 5-0 pasting without him.

Its a tough call. innocent until proved guilty does not work well when someone is in the public eye. if he had been picked for this series the aussies would have been giving him hell on the pitch and the press off it. He would have been under so much pressure it might have destroyed him as a player. If we could go back in time and the incident had not happened he might well have made a difference, but, not enough to prevent our current position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here