Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 3rd Ashes test: Aus vs Eng at the WACA

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
No comments on an outrageous DRS decision on Stonemason by Allem Dar yet? One of the real shockers where technology has created the error, not on field.

DRS is to ensure the on field umpire doesn't make a shocker. It is not there to make decisions in its own right. It is there for CONCLUSIVE overwhelming evidence its wrong on field. If I was Erasmus I would be bloody furious with Dar right now, because he's overturned a decision on evidence you couldn't really tell for sure. You cannot see what the ball is hitting in the snicko view Dar used and he's taken a guess its hit the right glove where it looked like the left which was off the bat.

I'm not sure all these umpires are clear what their role is on DRS. Some are doing it where they don't overturn, or others where they're suddenly the centre of attention.

I only saw this briefly this morning, it certainly does look a tad circumstantial as decisions go.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No comments on an outrageous DRS decision on Stonemason by Allem Dar yet? One of the real shockers where technology has created the error, not on field.

DRS is to ensure the on field umpire doesn't make a shocker. It is not there to make decisions in its own right. It is there for CONCLUSIVE overwhelming evidence its wrong on field. If I was Erasmus I would be bloody furious with Dar right now, because he's overturned a decision on evidence you couldn't really tell for sure. You cannot see what the ball is hitting in the snicko view Dar used and he's taken a guess its hit the right glove where it looked like the left which was off the bat.

I'm not sure all these umpires are clear what their role is on DRS. Some are doing it where they don't overturn, or others where they're suddenly the centre of attention.

I did not see it but even with all the huge amounts of technology involved there will still be the odd controversial decision. This is a HUGE improvement on the many controversial decisions that were wrong but had no method of overturning.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

It hit his glove. The same glove which was holding the bat. Then it was caught. OUT. Well done Mr Dar, good decision.

No - whilst @Bold Seagull is wrong to say it was an incorrect decision (much later replays from a new angle proved it DID hit the glove on the bat), he is RIGHT that the original decision should NOT have been overturned.

Dar got a bit lucky, in that the later angle (AFTER he'd made the call) vindicated him, but from what he had to work with at the time he had NO RIGHT within the set guidelines to overrule the on-field umpire. It is not his job to guess.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
And breathe.........phew... great performance to come back like this. First day we can say we won ? as above, 450+ required to give us a chance on this track.

We won day 4 of the second test. Other than that the Aussies have had it pretty much their own way.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
We have never lost a test at Perth where we have scored 300 in the first innings.

As a Somerset man I am hopeful that overton will get surprising lift from a length on this pitch. It is not all about pace - accuracy could be important.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Tempting fate I suppose, but if these two could push on to 250 then it would be interesting to see what we end with and our quicks should be able to inflict damage on this pitch.
Though we never win here, but usually only a matter of time till we do and then back into the doldrums for another 25 years.

Not on this pitch - this is the last Ashes test, and possibly the last ever test, to be played on this WACA ground.
Clean slate for next time on the new WACA ground.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
And breathe.........phew... great performance to come back like this. First day we can say we won ? as above, 450+ required to give us a chance on this track.

To win, we must take 20 wickets - you have to go back a few years to the last time we took 20 wickets in a test in Australia.

But we can hope.

500+ will bring a bit of scoreboard pressure but I don't think we honesty have the bowling on this track to take 20 wickets - so our only chance really is the draw ....

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What does everyone think for tomorrow?

I reckon:
England 362ao
Australia 274-1

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bat as long as possible, try and break down the fragile Starc and Cummins. Foot on the neck England.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I don't like to pass judgement until both sides have had at least an innings each, but England have never lost at Perth when scoring 300 + in the first innings................................so a high scoring draw then !

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I’m hoping for 425-450 all out then Australia hopefully 220/6 by the close.
Top quality day yesterday in the Lillee Marsh stand, the rivalry and banter is what sports all about ( especially when England are on top)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here