Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 3rd Ashes test: Aus vs Eng at the WACA

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Getting back to the game in hand, we probably have come up about 50-75 light on first innings and we will probably concede a lead of some 50-100 before batting again. Sadly I can only see this game going in one direction unless we suddenly pick up quick, cheap wickets in the morning. I won't be getting up early.
Oh dear.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Got up early yesterday, Australia batting and looking comfortable. Got up early today, Australia still batting and looking comfortable.
They seem to have the measure of our bowling attack.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Stirring groggy eyed with hope that something good might be happening down under ... Anderson cleaning up the tail, Cook & Stoneman racking up the lead ... reach for the TMS ... aghghgh Smith nears 200 ffs ... maybe I'll wake up in a minute ...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Got up early yesterday, Australia batting and looking comfortable. Got up early today, Australia still batting and looking comfortable.
They seem to have the measure of our bowling attack.

Fast Medium won't cut it at the WACA, hopefully the new Stadium will have friendlier wickets.

Overton has a cracked rib as well, can this series get any worse?

Root now bowling... : facepalm:

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

We need you in that commentary box Veg. Mind you, it’s it’s the same old story isn’t it. Why I get up early every away ashes for this I don’t know.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Over 400 and we are still gonna get walloped

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yet another battering for our bowlers whatever happened to the age old adage of bowling line and length and just keep plugging away to frustrate the batsmen into making mistakes looking for runs.

The games moved on. This pitch is flat with no lateral movement in the air or off the seam. The outfield is lush so no reverse with the old ball either.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
We need you in that commentary box Veg. Mind you, it’s it’s the same old story isn’t it. Why I get up early every away ashes for this I don’t know.

Not EVERY Away Ashes, I well remember the 2010-11 when we ended up 3-1 winners, mostly because I was at the MSG on Boxing Day when they were bundled out for 98!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've thought for some time that maybe it's time for Anderson, Broad, Cook to be put out to pasture. Time for a clean sweep, we've been creaking for a few years now and you have to move on at some point. I have ZERO evidence to support this theory but I always get the feeling that Broad and Anderson are a bit poisonous to team morale, would happily see the back of their personalities if not their skills.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've thought for some time that maybe it's time for Anderson, Broad, Cook to be put out to pasture. Time for a clean sweep, we've been creaking for a few years now and you have to move on at some point. I have ZERO evidence to support this theory but I always get the feeling that Broad and Anderson are a bit poisonous to team morale, would happily see the back of their personalities if not their skills.
Was Duckett try to make this point last week when he tipped a pint over Jimmy?

Just listened to the post mortem on TMS. Sadly I can't argue against the fact that we can't get 20 wickets a Test with our medium fast bowlers and poor spinners. Outclassed in all areas plus lack mental toughness. Sad.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I expect Cook Anderson and Broad to call ita ayt for test cricket when they return to England, Moeen and Woakes are not good enough as allrounders and would expect 1 to be replaced by Stokes, The position of Vince is still on the fence as regrads being good enough, so we will have to find at least an opening bat and , 2 main fast bowlers plus a spinner/batsman.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I expect Cook Anderson and Broad to call ita ayt for test cricket when they return to England, Moeen and Woakes are not good enough as allrounders and would expect 1 to be replaced by Stokes, The position of Vince is still on the fence as regrads being good enough, so we will have to find at least an opening bat and , 2 main fast bowlers plus a spinner/batsman.

Easy... and while you are at it can you sort me out a box at the Royal Opera House and nice new Merc ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you wield the axe too strongly then you risk elevating players who aren't ready for it. Stokes will be back, possibly Finn and Jofra Archer too, so I think there is hope on the pace front to replace Broad and Anderson for next winter.

I think Cook will start scoring again too.

The biggest issue we have is the lack of a world class spinner. You have no hope of winning series in places like Australia and India unless you have one.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you wield the axe too strongly then you risk elevating players who aren't ready for it. Stokes will be back, possibly Finn and Jofra Archer too, so I think there is hope on the pace front to replace Broad and Anderson for next winter.

I think there's another three years before Archer qualifies for England. I reckon Garton will be the next Sussex player to win an England cap.

Finn's a shadow of the bowler he was. Wood looks decent but he's injury prone. It doesn't look great out there.

EDIT. I was way out with Archer. It's 2023 when he qualifies for England

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Easy... and while you are at it can you sort me out a box at the Royal Opera House and nice new Merc ?

That is a ridiculous response, as due to age etc Cook Anderson and Broad may call it a day as regards test matches and touring. The only questions about ability rest on Woakes who will be replaced by a better player in Stokes and Moeen who is the problem. So we are down to 3 changes out of necessity and 2 by choice. I do not know enough about the county scene to suggest who could replace them but I am sure there are young up and coming players who could but their progress to 5 day test level is hindered by the amount of short over cricket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here