Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 3rd Ashes test: Aus vs Eng at the WACA

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It's no surprise we're struggling this series when we've got four experienced players in Cook, Ali, Broad and Woakes who have contributed absolutely nothing with the bat or ball all tour. Add in Cuckfield boy Vince who is just not technically good enough to bat number 3 at test level and we were never going to compete with 6 players in the hardest place to play test cricket.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It's no surprise we're struggling this series when we've got four experienced players in Cook, Ali, Broad and Woakes who have contributed absolutely nothing with the bat or ball all tour. Add in Cuckfield boy Vince who is just not technically good enough to bat number 3 at test level and we were never going to compete with 6 players in the hardest place to play test cricket.

No, that wicket was definitely thanks to me!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Another couple this evening (especially Smith) in the fina; 10 overs and England would be back on top.
That would be 3 wickets in the last 10 overs. How likely is that on this wicket?

You may as well say "another 7 wickets in the next 2 overs and England will be in command".

Face it, we've thrown it all away with another abject display.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Unless you prove yourself a useless captain pretty immediately and your form goes to pot I don’t believe you should ever give up that honour until you are no longer good enough for the team,
Cook was still worth his place by a mile when he stepped down so I think he had his test retirement pretty much planned after this winter.
I just feel Root looks out of his depth at times as a captain and could have done with more time as the No 2.

Obviously we were still sh..ite after that collapse, but I just knew it would happen. I think we all did.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That would be 3 wickets in the last 10 overs. How likely is that on this wicket?

You may as well say "another 7 wickets in the next 2 overs and England will be in command".

Face it, we've thrown it all away with another abject display.

Sorry - I was just playing the BG card of stating the bleedin' but extremely unlikely obvious.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I just don’t think we’ve selected the right bowlers for these conditions. I’m not sure if we have any super fast bowlers anyway?
You need at least 2 quicks at the WACA, and as you say, we have nobody with genuine pace.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Unfortunately a draw looks England best option now, even more likely with rain forecast here for Sunday and Monday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It appears to be a combination of an inexperienced captain lacking tactical nous and being let down by the performance of his senior players. Plus not having our best player available. I know it is a contentious point but I would have said that until proved guilty Stokes is innocent and included him in the party as obviously the police would have had no objection as they have let him play in NZ.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Root hasn't been helped by Broad reverting to his early career waywardness and Anderson not being able to swing the ball in Australia but this series, as everybody knew, was lost when Stokes got all fighty. He's worth 50 more runs a match and a couple of wickets at least.

Cook repeatedly failing is obviously compounding everything else.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Moeen failed with the bat, and so did Overton. You can't really blame the rest of the lower order for adding so few runs - it's not their job. Fingers should be pointed at the players who came in before Malan and Bairstow - they are the reason we didn't get 500 which looks about par on this wicket.

Sorry but it is their job...not to be the mainstay of run making but to nurdle, cobble, swipe anything to add a little more to a total.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
and his Batsmen per chance as well? (Malan and YJB excepted)

It is the age old problem too few are left to make the runs and the tail have proved they cant bat and are now proving that they cant bowl very well either. The 'experts 'on here tell me Moeen Ali and Woakes are world class but I have yet to see it in this series from either of them with bat or ball, except for the very odd moment or innings but the consistency is not there.

After another 5-0 beating will it be back to the drawing board?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
It is the age old problem too few are left to make the runs and the tail have proved they cant bat and are now proving that they cant bowl very well either. The 'experts 'on here tell me Moeen Ali and Woakes are world class but I have yet to see it in this series from either of them with bat or ball, except for the very odd moment or innings but the consistency is not there.

After another 5-0 beating will it be back to the drawing board?

Poppycock..who is saying that they are World Class?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry but it is their job...not to be the mainstay of run making but to nurdle, cobble, swipe anything to add a little more to a total.

After Mooen Ali and Craig Overton, there were only 3 other batsmen, and they added a combined 20 - not lots but even if they had added double that it would hardly have made a difference. Exactly how many more did you expect from Woakes, Broad and Anderson then, bearing in mind our opening 4 batsmen managed 131 between them?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
After Mooen Ali and Craig Overton, there were only 3 other batsmen, and they added a combined 20 - not lots but even if they had added double that it would hardly have made a difference. Exactly how many more did you expect from Woakes, Broad and Anderson then, bearing in mind our opening 4 batsmen managed 131 between them?

But you cannot absent them from batting responsibility just because the top order have batted like fairy cakes in the mid-day sun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here