Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mass exodus at 2-0

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Wow, do we only look at ourselves?

It was happening everywhere in the ground. Spurs fans applauded the goal and then left. By the time we kicked off, half the stadium appeared to have left already. Not just Brighton fans unhappy with how we were playing as someone has suggested, it was Spurs fans in their droves.

Get a grip on reality people. The game was deader than the parrot in the Monty Python sketch at that point, and people had a long way to travel home, knew they'd be queues up Wembley (Olympic) Way to get to the tube, and off they trotted.

Ironically when I saw the ground empty like that I thought the opposite of this thread, stupidly thinking "ah, THIS will make people realise it's what happens at grounds everywhere these days, and will stop moaning as if it's only Brighton supporters than head off before the final whistle." Nope, I underestimated the insular moan factor once again. When will I learn?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The second goal was scored at 87' so not particularly early.
The Spurs fans were leaving at 80' when they were only 1-0 up.

I stayed because I travelled by coach, but didn't get home until after 1am, not helped by M25 closures. I'm fortunate in being retired, but sympathise with those who had to get up for work this morning.

Welcome to my world, after Albion home games!!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Stayed until the end, applauded what I least thought was a commendable effort from the players. Got back to Victoria for the 23.17.

Given the ludicrous decision of network rail to schedule disruptive works ony 10 days before they practically shut the network down I can understand why people were anxious to get back for the last direct train.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Left on 81 and made the 22.47 from Vicky (standing room only). We were utter, utter garbage, which made the exit a bit easier. Thats the earliest I can ever remember leaving a game.

Every report I've read seemed to think we did OK. The Guardian Report uses the word dogged in its first paragraph. Later on uses the expression "incredibly well organised". Confirms what I have seen elsewhere that their first goal was a fluke.

I believe we are the only current Premier League side that Harry Kane hasn't scored against. That has to say something, said he, slightly tongue in cheek.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I told a few people "thank you for your support" as they strolled past me

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You missed the porta loo being lobbed around.

At least I was able to squeeze in an extra listen of Mr Wendal.
My only memories of the day is leaving early and Radio 1 only playing Arrested Development. :lol:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I’m not criticising - I understand the reasons why - but I don’t recall it happening before, although I’m not as frequent an away traveller as many.

It did seem to be reflective of how many felt last night, particularly at half-time: “if the team can’t be arsed to try, then neither will I.”
We did try though, they were just better than us

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m not criticising - I understand the reasons why - but I don’t recall it happening before, although I’m not as frequent an away traveller as many.

It did seem to be reflective of how many felt last night, particularly at half-time: “if the team can’t be arsed to try, then neither will I.”

I didn't get the impression the team wasn't trying. Yes, they were cautious, but undone by a flukey cross. We had our moments, & kept the scoreline down, but is that such a bad thing?

Maybe it will make away tickets more available? :wink:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wow, do we only look at ourselves?

Because I know that...

it's what happens at grounds everywhere these days

...and have done for ages through attending away games myself, and watching other games on TV. Home fans leave early - they do everywhere. It's why I never pass comment on our own home fans leaving early, a regular topic on here, because we are no different to any other group of fans.

I don't recall our lot sodding off early like that away from home before though. Which is why I passed comment on it. Hope that explanation works for you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Every report I've read seemed to think we did OK. The Guardian Report uses the word dogged in its first paragraph. Later on uses the expression "incredibly well organised". Confirms what I have seen elsewhere that their first goal was a fluke.

I believe we are the only current Premier League side that Harry Kane hasn't scored against. That has to say something, said he, slightly tongue in cheek.

Credit to Lewis who was marking him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I didn't get the impression the team wasn't trying. Yes, they were cautious, but undone by a flukey cross. We had our moments, & kept the scoreline down, but is that such a bad thing?

Maybe it will make away tickets more available? :wink:

Again, for clarity, I'm not saying they weren't trying, but at half-time I listened to a rant from a friend of mine, a very frequent away traveller and lifelong Albion fan, who was very, very frustrated at our lack of ambition. It pretty much matched this >>> http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?359350-Limp

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
By the time the whistle went there were more Brighton in the home end than there were home fans , never seen so many Brighton fans in a home end .

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I stayed until the end as I live in London. My brother left a few minutes before the end and made it back to Haywards Heath for 11.22pm. He started work at 6am this morning so fair enough in my view.

I was walking up the aisle steps as the final whistle went and got to Haywards Heath at about 12:45 (for comparison with the above - I travelled from Burgess Hill) on a bus with a load of bellend kids. Finally got home just after 1 and back up at 6 to drive to Heathrow only to find that I must have missed a meeting invite because none of the rest of my team are here!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I was walking up the aisle steps as the final whistle went and got to Haywards Heath at about 12:45 (for comparison with the above - I travelled from Burgess Hill) on a bus with a load of bellend kids. Finally got home just after 1 and back up at 6 to drive to Heathrow only to find that I must have missed a meeting invite because none of the rest of my team are here!

Oh Sully, I feel for you but that did make me chuckle. When the chips are down, they really are down! We’re that person who get drenched by a passing lorry hitting a massive puddle. Before another does exactly the same moments later. The life of Albion supporters, but would we change it?!! :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stayed until the end, but no problem with those that decided not to. We would still be goalless if we were playing now, there was literally no chance of us scoring and the travel from Wembley is a drag however you do it (although I was amazed how easy the traffic was getting away from the ground, it was only the effing M25 roadworks that caused any issues). 75% of the Spurs fans had left after the second goal went in (a lot were leaving before that)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
](although I was amazed how easy the traffic was getting away from the ground, it was only the effing M25 roadworks that caused any issues).

Like you we were on a Just Park driveway. Ours was a mile or so from the ground so we weren't back to the car until about 22:15.

I thought it was curious that Waze didn't take us back to the M25, directing us over Hammersmith Bridge, picking up the A3 at Kingston and then the A243/A24 back to Worthing. It meant the first few miles were relatively slow going but we were back in Worthing before midnight.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Again, for clarity, I'm not saying they weren't trying, but at half-time I listened to a rant from a friend of mine, a very frequent away traveller and lifelong Albion fan, who was very, very frustrated at our lack of ambition. It pretty much matched this >>> http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?359350-Limp
Our ambition was to stay in the game to give ourselves a chance to get something out of the game that no-one really gave us any chance of getting anything out of. What ambition does your mate think we should have?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Not sure I’ve ever seen an Albion away crowd evaporate before the end of a game as was the case when Spurs scored their second tonight.

The whole #Together-ness seems to be on the wane everywhere right now.

well we got battered for 90 mins apart from 1 glorious chance. couldn't string 3 passes together before losing possession and plenty of roadworks, rail delays...................continue?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its the worst Stadium to get away from at night, so I dont see the issue with leaving early

Considering its our national stadium it really is a shit soulless place, bit like the premier league in general, all the exciting anticipation getting there only to realise its no where near as good as the pundits pretend it is

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here