Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Is AK good enough for the prem or just a liability?

Is AK good enough for BHAFC?

• Yes. He's just going through a tough time at the moment like the rest of the team.

Votes: 140 85.9%
  • No he's a waste of space and starting to show his true colours.

Votes: 23 14.1%

• Total voters

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Not sure its fair to judge any wide player in this current set up. The team are so deep that we dont get the ball to them in a position where they can hurt the opposition. He works hard for the team and contributes but expecting him to play like last year when most of the time he receives the ball in our half is a big ask.
until we attack with any purpose then we wont see the best of any wide player and i cant see that changing soon.
I will add that I dont see his contribution as being as less than Solly March and yet he is consistantly praised here. maybe its expectation maybe the opposition are aware of knocky and double up or maybe it just the ultra defensive fornation that create these doubts.

Last edited:

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
At the risk of appearing overly defensive of St. Anthony, I don’t understand the negativity here. By some distance he was our best player in the first half last night. He was the only one who showed any semblance of confidence or composure on the ball. He’s been decent in most of the games he’s played.

Will he rip up Premier League defences and make full backs look like mugs like he did in the Championship? No. But, really, what did you expect? He is a very good player and one of the best ever to play for Brighton & Hove Albion. He will probably never be a top PL player or tear up a World Cup, but the same goes for pretty much all of our players, and hardly makes him a failure.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was a proper bellend tonight. Sulking all over the place.

At one point CH told him to get up off the floor after a dive

March was quality

I agree.

March was good for 5 mins and then was poor from where I was sitting.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
At the risk of appearing overly defensive of St. Anthony, I don’t understand the negativity here. By some distance he was our best player in the first half last night. He was the only one who showed any semblance of confidence or composure on the ball. He’s been decent in most of the games he’s played.

Will he rip up Premier League defences and make full backs look like mugs like he did in the Championship? No. But, really, what did you expect? He is a very good player and one of the best ever to play for Brighton & Hove Albion. He will probably never be a top PL player or tear up a World Cup, but the same goes for pretty much all of our players, and hardly makes him a failure.

That is very much a matter of opinion.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
That is very much a matter of opinion.

As are most qualitative comments on players’ abilities, but I think it is difficult to dispute that he is ONE of our best ever players. He was the player of the season in a side which won promotion to the top flight, a league which we have only been in for four seasons in our history prior to this one. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a better winger we have had, except Vicente, who was well over the top by the time he came to us. O’Sullivan, Ryan, Penney, Robinson, Walker, barham, were all good players, but I would take Knocky over any of them.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yes easily good enough in my opinion. Before the Huddersfield game I really thought he was really starting to find his feet and had been pretty consistent, one of our better players.

I think he's suffering from unrealistic expectations, he was never going to be able to perform as he did in the Championship and he has probably had to change his game a little to be able to adjust which will take time. If he was able to consistently do what he did in second division at the top level then he would never have played for us in the first place.

Over the years there have been many mercurial players who have looked on a different level in the championship and then struggled in the premier league. Some manage to alter their game to fit in, others struggled and disappeared, I am confident AK is in the former group.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

He's good enough, but needs to kerb his temper for the team. He talked himself into the book tonight, and we shouldn't be doing that.

I agree. he was mightily frustrated that he didn't get a free kick, just before they scored, and whilst I don't think it was a free kick, it was a similar scenario to what seemed like numerous other incident where free-kicks were given and very often to Spurs players.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ryan made an outstanding save from Kane’s free kick to push onto the post.

Outstanding save? Was you at the game or did you watch on a stream? I watched it online and Ryan got cursed by the commentators for letting the ball slip through his hands and the ball hitting the post, was more luck than a good save.

Yeh. I heard that. The commentators were talking shit on that occasion. He did well to get down to it.

Nope.

As a fully paid up member of the #gkunion I nearly ALWAYS back the keeper in these discussions, but he got lucky there, for sure. He made the save, and that's what matters, but he SHOULD be stopping that, every time. He got down but was very slow to get his arms extended.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
2 defenders on him all the time + 2 sitting midfielders who don't get forward + 1 lone 50 year old striker + 1 50 year old right back = Difficult season for Knocky.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He was a proper bellend tonight. Sulking all over the place.

At one point CH told him to get up off the floor after a dive

March was quality
What are you talking about? AK was EASILY our best offensive player. March did very little when he came on apart from one awful cross when in a great position.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
He sulked a lot last season when he didn't get his way, we're now up against much better teams so he's getting his way a even less now..

Great player but needs to stop his bloody whinging every time his dive doesn't fool referee.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He could get away with over-playing ( over-elaboration ) in the Championship and giving the ball away on a pretty regular basis. He is a ' luxury ' player. One who you tolerated at that level, because of his potential match winning ability. Not because of any tightness or discipline in his game but because of his flair.
At PL level it is another matter. You need to move the ball around with pace and accuracy, do the simple things well and above all, be as solid as you can, when in possession. At the moment, he is giving the ball away far too many times for comfort, in really dangerous areas by over-elaborating. Attempting to beat one man too many or trying fancy back-heels just outside his own area.
He needs seriously re-educating to play at this level. To keep it quick and keep it simple and rein in the fancy stuff.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He could get away with over-playing ( over-elaboration ) in the Championship and giving the ball away on a pretty regular basis. He is a ' luxury ' player. One who you tolerated at that level, because of his potential match winning ability. Not because of any tightness or discipline in his game but because of his flair.
At PL level it is another matter. You need to move the ball around with pace and accuracy, do the simple things well and above all, be as solid as you can, when in possession. At the moment, he is giving the ball away far too many times for comfort, in really dangerous areas by over-elaborating. Attempting to beat one man too many or trying fancy back-heels just outside his own area.
He needs seriously re-educating to play at this level. To keep it quick and keep it simple and rein in the fancy stuff.

So in a nutshell your saying he will come good again next season.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
More than good enough. Be good if a few others could keep up to give him a hand or we could actually get the ball to him in good areas.

He works his ass off for the side too, which is not what luxury players do..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
More than good enough. Be good if a few others could keep up to give him a hand or we could actually get the ball to him in good areas.

He works his ass off for the side too, which is not what luxury players do..

He does sometimes. When he has one of his petulant fits (usually after he's lost the ball trying to beat the 4th or 5th player), it's almost always followed by standing/sitting arms outstretched whilst the game goes on, a slow rise to his feet and am amble in no particular direction. This happened a couple of times last night and it meant Schelotto being massively exposed.

He acts like a big ****ing baby half the time, does my head in because when his head is in the right place he's such a talented player.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
He is the main reason we are where we are. To ask him to support a 37 year old right back and Scheletto virtually all game then take on PL defenders is unfair. He'd do well if the team believed and weren't camped in our own half most of the time. Someone said it in another thread though - needs to start smiling again. In fact they all bloody do and have a go. They may not get another chance.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not sure where the OP gets the liability bit from ...but then last night he was going on about Tony Bloom buying wallpaper in January :moo:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
AK is a passionate person/player, he runs himself silly and tracks back superbly when needed, which is often atm. He's then practically on his own up front with our MF holding back in bus mode. His frustration is boiling over and the tantrums are because of this. He needs get a handle on his emotions and focus on his game.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I think he needs to have a word with himself, he is good but not a Cantona.
The tantrums are not doing his image any favours including prospective bosses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here