Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton Women will play in Womens Super League 1 next year (probably)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was told some time ago that about 250 go to watch. How on earth can full time players be justified unless of course gates have increased.

You think the gate reciepts for the men's games cover their wages!?

I raised this rather clumsily on the Albion Roar FB page clouded by the mens' firsts just having lost to Spurs.

I don't think that the women's team would be in any way cost effective, ESPECIALLY at Crawley. It would have to run at a loss. It's not the Albion's fault or the fault of the women's game, so much as the FA. So, my question to Brighton fans would be, if there was finite financial resource, how many would want to see it channeled here instead of the Premier League squad?

This may, of course, be a moot point. There's every chance Tony Bloom is happy to finance this separately without any impact on the PL budget. But if he weren't?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Or Hove Park? Hardly any interest in Women's football despite what the BBC and the Guardian claim. Would wager 99% of Brighton fans couldn't name one Albion woman's team player. Should be a seperate 'Womens NSC' forum so it doesn't clog up the mens NSC. Awaits flaming from the usual PC brigade suspects.....

Couldn't agree more. The vast majority of fans and supporters of the Albion men's team just couldn't give a damn about the women's team. And rightly so. If women want to play a man's game, that's fine, but I don't understand why they have to hang on to the coat-tails of a Premier League team. Do your own thing independently of any established men's team.

I have to agree with you. The women's team is an irrelevance to nearly all of us. If they were to play the Palace women's team, I bet you that even the most fervent BHA or Palace die hard with a mutual in-bred hatred would even know, let alone care, what the score was.

Incoming.

*agree mind.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I raised this rather clumsily on the Albion Roar FB page clouded by the mens' firsts just having lost to Spurs.

I don't think that the women's team would be in any way cost effective, ESPECIALLY at Crawley. It would have to run at a loss. It's not the Albion's fault or the fault of the women's game, so much as the FA. So, my question to Brighton fans would be, if there was finite financial resource, how many would want to see it channeled here instead of the Premier League squad?

This may, of course, be a moot point. There's every chance Tony Bloom is happy to finance this separately without any impact on the PL budget. But if he weren't?

You asked this yesterday with a series of incorrect assumptions - the main one being this impacted on the men's budget.

The women's team has a budget and set-up - from youth through to the first team - approved and financed by Tony Bloom, separate to the men's budget. If he wasn't interested in doing it, we wouldn't have the women's team, and there wouldn't have been the application put in to join WSL1. It would also blow out of the water any true notion of this being a community club. How could we be if only men and boys were allowed to represent the Albion?

It's true playing at Crawley isn't going to help - I'm quite disappointed by that - but seeing as there is (a) no alternative given the rules of the application and (b) hopefully, this will only be temporary, it may well be that the club finances a ground improvement somewhere closer for the long term. It could be possible that Culver Road could be improved to meet the requirements - I don't know.

But then, all teams run at a loss. And the men's team loses far more than the women's team does.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Couldn't agree more. The vast majority of fans and supporters of the Albion men's team just couldn't give a damn about the women's team. And rightly so. If women want to play a man's game, that's fine, but I don't understand why they have to hang on to the coat-tails of a Premier League team. Do your own thing independently of any established men's team.

That's EXACTLY what they're doing. Keep up.

And football isn't only a 'man's game' - so your main premise is wrong.

Fascinating to see how many people who have no interest in women's football (or indeed are misogynistic enough to believe women have no right to play football - see above) have to come on to a women's football thread and tell everyone over and over again that the don't care about women's football. Yeah, we got it the first time - and the subsequent 49 times. Talk about putting yourself in the way of the misery juggernaut.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You asked this yesterday with a series of incorrect assumptions - the main one being this impacted on the men's budget.

Not on here - and I've corrected the assumption.

It's true playing at Crawley isn't going to help - I'm quite disappointed by that - but seeing as there is (a) no alternative given the rules of the application and (b) hopefully, this will only be temporary, it may well be that the club finances a ground improvement somewhere closer for the long term. It could be possible that Culver Road could be improved to meet the requirements - I don't know.

Let's be blunt Al - it's hard enough getting people to go to Crawley for the men's pre-season friendly away. It's a disaster.

But then, all teams run at a loss. And the men's team loses far more than the women's team does.

Ignoring for a minute that El Pres has actually stated on here that the new TV money setup in the Prem should allow most PL teams to run at profit if they want - and the Arsenal have done successfully for years - the fact the men's team makes a loss is just whataboutism. No one in their right mind - apart from that chap at Billericay Town who may not be - would want a team that attracts a gate of 250 and plays home matches 30 miles away to go fully pro. It's madness.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010

The women's team has a budget and set-up - from youth through to the first team - approved and financed by Tony Bloom, separate to the men's budget. If he wasn't interested in doing it, we wouldn't have the women's team, and there wouldn't have been the application put in to join WSL1. It would also blow out of the water any true notion of this being a community club. How could we be if only men and boys were allowed to represent the Albion?

Who cares. You are a 'look at me I'm so trendy and modern thinking liking women's football' bandwagon jumper, I would bet that until liking women's football became the 'done' thing amongst the liberal guardian reading types there was no mention of it on the Albion roar. C'mon so in say 2009 who many guests on the Roar were from the womens game? Or in 2010?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Women's football is great if you happen to be a pervert

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not on here - and I've corrected the assumption.

Let's be blunt Al - it's hard enough getting people to go to Crawley for the men's pre-season friendly away. It's a disaster.

Ignoring for a minute that El Pres has actually stated on here that the new TV money setup in the Prem should allow most PL teams to run at profit if they want - and the Arsenal have done successfully for years - the fact the men's team makes a loss is just whataboutism. No one in their right mind - apart from that chap at Billericay Town who may not be - would want a team that attracts a gate of 250 and plays home matches 30 miles away to go fully pro. It's madness.

The alternative being that the club is not doing the right thing. You're saying it shouldn't be done because Tony Bloom will lose a small fortune. Tony Bloom has said he is prepared to weather that. In other words, it's not strictly a business decision, it's more that it's the right thing to do - and Tony has my full support. Shame others can't see fit to do that.

Regarding playing at Crawley, we're violently agreeing here. Playing there isn't a good idea. However, the alternative is somewhere like Portsmouth.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Women's football is great if you happen to be a pervert

They should all play topless, would see a massive increase in attendances. Sepp Blatter once said to increase attendances they should play in tighter tops, I would take it one step further!!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Who cares. You are a 'look at me I'm so trendy and modern thinking liking women's football' bandwagon jumper, I would bet that until liking women's football became the 'done' thing amongst the liberal guardian reading types there was no mention of it on the Albion roar. C'mon so in say 2009 who many guests on the Roar were from the womens game? Or in 2010?

You're not helping yourself with phrases like 'PC brigade', 'trendy', 'modern thinking', 'liberal guardian reading types' - as if those phrases have any meaning. Your main argument in this instance seems to be you don't like women playing football. Or more obviously, you don't like women.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, I've long supported, or at worst, taken a passing interest in every Brighton & Hove Albion team.

As for guests on the Albion Roar - what does that have to do with anything? We've had guests on from the women's set up over the past five or six years. The fact that you don't know implies you don't listen in - so therefore what does it have to do with you?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
As long as they get a decent goalkeeper.

Every now and again I watch a bit of women's football on the television and have to turn off after one of the keepers throws the ball in the goal or fails to jump more than 2 inches off the ground.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
In other words, it's not strictly a business decision, it's more that it's the right thing to do - and Tony has my full support.

Cor, I bet Bloom is delighted at that. In fact I bet he was sat in his office, possibly questioning whether he'd made the right choice.

Then he opened this thread, read that and knew he'd got it right as he's got the support of Alan Wares.

"Hey, Paul, it's me Tony. Yeah, we've got the support off some bloke off NSC about the woman's team going professional." Game changing backing, that is

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
As long as they get a decent goalkeeper.

Every now and again I watch a bit of women's football on the television and have to turn off after one of the keepers throws the ball in the goal or fails to jump more than 2 inches off the ground.
Arsenal's goalkeeper is very good. Shame she looks like she's been hit by a number 5 bus

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cor, I bet Bloom is delighted at that. In fact I bet he was sat in his office, possibly questioning whether he'd made the right choice.

Then he opened this thread, read that and knew he'd got it right as he's got the support of Alan Wares.

"Hey, Paul, it's me Tony. Yeah, we've got the support off some bloke off NSC about the woman's team going professional." Game changing backing, that is

Has he got the full backing of @Scotty Mac ?

(What if he bankrolled the signing of Jordan Nobbs...?)

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Has he got the full backing of @Scotty Mac ?

(What if he bankrolled the signing of Jordan Nobbs...?)
Jordan Nobbs and Leah Williamson from Arsenal, Carla Humphrey from Bristol City and reversing the scandalous departure of Lilly Agg would secure my unreserved backing

Which I'm sure Bloom would also be delighted with

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
You're not helping yourself with phrases like 'PC brigade', 'trendy', 'modern thinking', 'liberal guardian reading types' - as if those phrases have any meaning. Your main argument in this instance seems to be you don't like women playing football. Or more obviously, you don't like women.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, I've long supported, or at worst, taken a passing interest in every Brighton & Hove Albion team.

As for guests on the Albion Roar - what does that have to do with anything? We've had guests on from the women's set up over the past five or six years. The fact that you don't know implies you don't listen in - so therefore what does it have to do with you?[/QUOTE]

you hate people disagreeing with your opinion....Cant you have a debate without getting childish about it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here