Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Chris Froome cleared over Vuelta drugs test - case dropped

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Diego Ulissi got a nine-month ban for 1920ng/ml in 2014.

Petacchi got a year for 1320ng/ml in 2007.

Ulissi was slightly different, he wasn't actually banned for a doping violation and his results actually stood for that period because they found and upheld he had no performance gain from it, he was suspended basically due to his own negligence of not adhering to protocols or the prescription dosage.

I have no idea what will happen here, but if Froome is found to have taken a legal substance in a dosage as prescribed by doctors, then he may not have acted negligently himself. Salbutamol is an approved substance and doesn't require a TUE.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
There's currently a lot of research on exercise induced asthma. It seems that a lot of footballers suffer from it.

No that I ever resembled an athlete but towards the end of my footballing days a sprint would leave me gasping and struggling for breath. Nope, not simply being knackered (I know the difference) but a couple of times I had to be subbed because of breathing difficulties, particularly in cold weather.

Went to doctors and turned out I had very mild asthma, would only flair up if I was sprinting a lot or in very cold weather. Given the extreme levels they are pushing themselves to it's not a surprise that this type of asthma wouldn't present symptoms.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blokes not British, doesn’t train here nor grew up oh and now is suspected of taking drugs. It’s amazing the British public aren’t fawning over him isn’t it?! That and the ‘sport’ he’s in is rife with...yes, can’t understand why!

His parents are british! so if you are basing your opinions on him not being "british", that wipes out almost every sport in the Uk as it is full of people from all over the world with british parents or grandparents...that is how it works.

all sport has its drug cheats if we are going down that path also ...ban all sport for a few who cheat?

So i take it you also have the same opinion of Mo farrah...who has NO british lineage at all and athletics is "rife" to use your words.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To be fair there is a LOT of asthma in sport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42264758

Professional footballers should be screened for exercise-induced asthma, researchers say, after a study found three in 10 could be affected.

University of Kent scientists used lung tests to identify players with symptoms and improved their fitness after treatment.

Elite athletes are known to be prone to asthma-related problems because of their high-intensity breathing.
As far as my doctor's informed me, the definition of having asthma is that salbutamol improves your breathing when you are well. So if he's taking it, it must improve his breathing, so he must have asthma. It's not some super drug to make others go faster.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No that I ever resembled an athlete but towards the end of my footballing days a sprint would leave me gasping and struggling for breath. Nope, not simply being knackered (I know the difference) but a couple of times I had to be subbed because of breathing difficulties, particularly in cold weather.

Went to doctors and turned out I had very mild asthma, would only flair up if I was sprinting a lot or in very cold weather. Given the extreme levels they are pushing themselves to it's not a surprise that this type of asthma wouldn't present symptoms.

I run a lot and when I am training heavily I get a bit asthmatic when I stop; nothing which requires meds but I can understand a top athlete might.

D

Deleted member 22389

That's the trouble with cycling now, all the trust goes out of the window now.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I really struggle with what is a performance enhancing drug and what isn't. As a kid I struggled with asthma and had steroid inhalers and salbutamol. I was pretty good at hockey but without my puffers I could not manage more than 10 mins let alone 70. How are those drugs anything but performance enhancers? What is the difference from a front row in the school rugby team not being strong enough so takes steroids which makes him stronger? Why are my steroids okay and his not?

Speaking of steroids....Andrew flintoff had loads of cortisone injections and without then would not have been able to play. How on earth is that anything but enhancing performance? It is a drug that enhances his performance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The positive (pun intended) in all of this is at least it's been picked up.

Can you imagine a footballer, tennist, swimmerer, rugby player et al getting popped for to much of a legal substance?

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This fella says some interesting stuff:-

[tweet]940866373584027653[/tweet]

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So i take it you also have the same opinion of Mo farrah...who has NO british lineage at all and athletics is "rife" to use your words.

You mean apart from his father who is a British citizen, born in London and growing up in Hounslow?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I cant really get into sports like athletics or bike riding, as you don't know who is actually clean and who is trying to be Ben Johnson.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Blokes not British, doesn’t train here nor grew up oh and now is suspected of taking drugs. It’s amazing the British public aren’t fawning over him isn’t it?! That and the ‘sport’ he’s in is rife with...yes, can’t understand why!

His parents are and Wiggins was born in Belgium has lived most of his life and career living in continental Europe like most cyclists and has an Australian father but he of course is more "British".

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I cant really get into sports like athletics or bike riding, as you don't know who is actually clean and who is trying to be Ben Johnson.
I love watching the tours and have taken some solace in past years that they were all cheating so at least it was more of a level playing field than some doing it. Even if they are clean at the moment the race times are coming down again and there is a very grey area for me in sports where it seems to be ok to inject "vitimins" and take any other advantage you can, be it through wind tunnels for positioning on the bike and clothing/equipment which poorer nations cant possibly compete with equally.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
But you can get into football!?
Has there been many performance drug scandals in football compared to the other sports I mentioned?

George Best and Maradona were obviously doing a few substances that would not help them on the pitch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has there been many performance drug scandals in football compared to the other sports I mentioned?

George Best and Maradona were obviously doing a few substances that would not help them on the pitch.

It's amazing how clean a sport that doesn't test for PED's can be.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As long as everyone is on a level playing field I have no complaints.
Then the Ben Johnson final, where all 8 runners have been popped should be right up your strasse.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Then the Ben Johnson final, where all 8 runners have been popped should be right up your strasse.
I would rather they all be clean, but if the rules are you are allowed certain supplements, then everyone should be in the same boat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here