Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tottenham Hotspur vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
675.png
703.png

Tottenham v Brighton

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: Wembley Stadium
Date: Wednesday 13th December 2017
Kick-off: 20:00 GMT
Referee: Robert Madley
Assistants: Simon Bennett, Marc Perry
Fourth official: Kevin Friend

TEAM NEWS

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino says midfielder Erik Lamela could make his first start in over a year after returning from a hip problem.

Davinson Sanchez is suspended while long-term absentees Toby Alderweireld and Victor Wanyama remain sidelined.

Brighton have no fresh injury problems; Steve Sidwell, who is still out with a back problem, is their only absentee.

Winger Anthony Knockaert could be recalled after being left out of the side that lost to Huddersfield.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Simon Brotherton: "Tottenham have dropped more points than expected lately but Saturday's 5-1 thrashing of Stoke was an impressive way to get back on track.

"Newly-promoted Brighton made a solid start to life in the Premier League but a few red flags are starting to appear with only one goal scored and a single point collected in the last four matches.

"They've won away at both West Ham and Swansea (who are in the bottom three), but haven't managed to score a goal in five games on the road against teams above them in the table.

"Spurs have dropped nine points at home already this season, but they'll be strongly fancied to collect three at Wembley in this one."

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino: "When you spend a lot of energy in a competition like the Champions League, that situation can distract you form the focus of the Premier League, and you pay maybe.

"Most important now is to focus on the Premier League and try to win some games because it's so important for us to finish in the top four."

Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton: "I suppose it shows how well we have started in our levels, the fact that we've lost two on the bounce and we're looking at it as a difficult period.

"In this division you've got to show that you accept what the division is, that you've learned from it, and you do your best in the next game."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Tottenham have won four of their last five games against Brighton in all competitions.
    [*=left]However, Brighton won 2-1 in the most recent league meeting in 1983 - the Seagulls were relegated from Division One that season.
    [*=left]The sides last met in the League Cup in October 2014, with Spurs winning 2-0 at home courtesy of goals from Erik Lamela and Harry Kane.

Tottenham

• [*=left]Spurs have earned just eight points from seven games but ended a four-match winless run in the Premier League by beating Stoke 5-1 on Saturday.
    [*=left]Mauricio Pochettino's side have dropped nine points in their first eight Premier League games at Wembley this season, as many as in their last 23 league games at White Hart Lane.
    [*=left]Tottenham's total of four league defeats this season is already as many as in the entirety of the previous campaign.
    [*=left]Harry Kane has scored 33 Premier League goals in 2017, only three behind Alan Shearer's record of 36 in a calendar year, set in 1995.
    [*=left]Son Heung-Min has been involved in nine goals in his last 11 appearances for Tottenham, scoring six and setting up three.

Brighton

• [*=left]The Seagulls have failed to score a goal in the five away games they have played against sides currently above them in the league.
    [*=left]They have attempted fewer shots than any other side in the Premier League this season (135).
    [*=left]Brighton have failed to win on their three previous trips to Wembley - losing the FA Cup final to Manchester United 4-0 in a replay after a 2-2 draw, and losing the 1991 second tier play-off final 3-1 against Notts County.
    [*=left]They have conceded seven goals from corners, a league high.
    [*=left]Manager Chris Hughton made 398 appearances for Tottenham between 1979 and 1990, winning the FA Cup in 1981 and 1982, and the UEFA Cup in 1984.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I will wake up tomorrow morning expecting a cricket score, though I have predicted 4 - 0
Play the B team and go all out, nothing to lose.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Nothing less than a Man U performance needed tonight and we may possibly come away with a point if we have some luck which was missing at old Trafford.
Anything less and we are in big trouble right here.
Really not looking forward to this, I may not listen in and just take a quick glance at the result.

The Optimist

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The Seagulls have failed to score a goal in the five away games they have played against sides currently above them in the league.

Wow, that’s a depressing statistic.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Feel as if I want to hide for the whole of December with the games we have coming our way. Would happily re-surface in January and find we are still 13th.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Think we will line up something like this

Lloris
Aurier Dier Vertonghen Rose
Sissoko Winks
Lamela Eriksen Son
Kane

Or Dele might start instead of Lamela.
Demblele, Llorente, Davis, Trippier, Foyth & Vorm on the bench.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Shocking stats.

The Seagulls have failed to score a goal in the five away games they have played against sides currently above them in the league
They have attempted fewer shots than any other side in the Premier League this season (135)
They have conceded seven goals from corners, a league high

Were loose

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
There is a stat that Spurs have only picked up x points from y when Sanchez is missing.
That is why they conceded at the weekend. Now which team can stop them getting five at the other end?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Probably play our strongest line up then rest them for Burnley :ffsparr:

Play our best line up and be tired for Burnley and lose in the last ten minutes.

This thought crossed my mind. CH not wanting to get thrashed by his old club.

IMO Murray, Propper and Gross should be rested tonight, they all look like they need a rest.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This s one of our 'freebies' against the top six, where we don't expect to get anything - except that after Everton, Soutampton, Palarse and Stoke at home, and B'mth and 'Udders away we don't have any 'freebies' any more. Still, come on the Albion - surprise Spurs tonight - and me!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Think we will line up something like this

Lloris
Aurier Dier Vertonghen Rose
Sissoko Winks
Lamela Eriksen Son
Kane

Or Dele might start instead of Lamela.
Demblele, Llorente, Davis, Trippier, Foyth & Vorm on the bench.
Were loose.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When the fixtures came out I thought the 2 games we might get points against the top 6 were Liverpool at home which didnt work out to well and Spurs away so lets hope for better. If I can find a stream I want to watch the game on my laptop/TV. so any guidance will be gratefully appreciated and hope for at least 1 point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here