Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] “And Ashley Barnes propels Burnley into the Top 4!”

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To think, in a parallel world we could be starting this season with Murrray AND Barnes up front. All we'd need is Chris Wood and Fran Sandaza to complete the set of League One strikers!

Funny though, the fans around me in the 1st two seasons at the Amex were literally desperate for him to leave and actually celebrated when he left. Such a very odd attitude to have. I actually bought a "Barnes 9" shirt in solidarity / to wind them up, which worked every time he scored one of his 30-odd championship goals from left wing.

Another fascination I have is people who bang on about goals to game ratio with no relation to their actual position on the field. "But Barnes is a striker - His goal ratio isn't good enough" - Yeah, but he's playing at left wing. That's like saying Victor Moses isn't scoring enough for Chelsea but ignoring the fact he's now a wing back.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, long story short. I love Ashley Barnes. Did then, do now.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
To think, in a parallel world we could be starting this season with Murrray AND Barnes up front. All we'd need is Chris Wood and Fran Sandaza to complete the set of League One strikers!

Funny though, the fans around me in the 1st two seasons at the Amex were literally desperate for him to leave and actually celebrated when he left. Such a very odd attitude to have. I actually bought a "Barnes 9" shirt in solidarity / to wind them up, which worked every time he scored one of his 30-odd championship goals from left wing.

Another fascination I have is people who bang on about goals to game ratio with no relation to their actual position on the field. "But Barnes is a striker - His goal ratio isn't good enough" - Yeah, but he's playing at left wing. That's like saying Victor Moses isn't scoring enough for Chelsea but ignoring the fact he's now a wing back.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, long story short. I love Ashley Barnes. Did then, do now.

You make a fair point about him getting shoved onto the left wing and also having to help the full back etc. Like a few players under recent managers, the wrong player shoe horned in to a system the manager wont deviate from.

But he also got his fair share of chances as the main striker, and he never looked to have the beating of the defenders, Championship defenders I might add, and he's not on the wing for Burnley, hes a squad player there at best, albeit a reliable one.

I'd love to see a poll on who would support us blowing our January striker fund on bring back Ashley Barnes, cause by the sounds of it he's the answer to all our prayers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If ever there were a case of 'the truth lies in the middle' I think it's Barnes and NSC.

He, is, was and never will be, as good or as bad as the opposite camps would have you believe.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
You make a fair point about him getting shoved onto the left wing and also having to help the full back etc. Like a few players under recent managers, the wrong player shoe horned in to a system the manager wont deviate from.

But he also got his fair share of chances as the main striker, and he never looked to have the beating of the defenders, Championship defenders I might add, and he's not on the wing for Burnley, hes a squad player there at best, albeit a reliable one.

I'd love to see a poll on who would support us blowing our January striker fund on bring back Ashley Barnes, cause by the sounds of it he's the answer to all our prayers.

I love Bobby Zamora and Peter Ward, doesn't mean I want us to spend £25m bringing them in to lead our line! I think he'd be a good addition, but he's not the striker we need at the moment.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I gave him plenty at the amex

Bbc sport had it correct last night by calling him 'nuisance value '.

Is at his best irritating other players & at his worst a petulant irritant to his own team

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He was crap, he really, really was.

Brilliant insite.

I agree, a player who has settled into a decent hard working side who are presently 4 th in the premier and is an integral part of their success, scoring goals and getting rave reviews from people who actually understand the game ..you are right, he is a completely shite player.,

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not really much choice for the club, it was more a case of when, not if we lost him

He wasn't likely to sign another contract after the abuse he got from some of our fans, and as he was in the last few months of his contract so he would have been able to leave for nothing in the summer. Either way he would have gone.

That happened because we didn't rate him enough. I doubt very much he made a decision because a few fans were on his back. Had we valued him more, offered better terms earlier, it wouldn't have got down to those last months of his contract, and I seem to remember Garcia was gutted to lose him.

I honestly couldn't believe we allowed that to happen, and it followed a fair few players being allowed to leave that we didn't think would make it, but ended up in the Premier League before us. Okay, he's not a starter for Burnley, but he has been, and he has proven to be someone Dyche always turns to. I'd love him in our squad as an option right now.

I will always remember his equaliser at Bournemouth, my then 4 year old son was sat in my lap in the front row and I was the first one to the barriers in celebration (with him in my arms) queue players coming over and mass bundle. I was delighted, but when I went to go back to my seat my wife looked absolutely panic stricken! Ha ha.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
last year I watched him cover two roles when Hendrick got sent off at Watford, astounding work rate (put Gray to shame). When we got Wood in I thought he might leave, but glad we've kept him. Perhaps something which has gone against him is his adaptability, I understand he played out on the left for Brighton on occasion, he's played upfront for us but often as the link between midfield and attack.

He's a bit of an old school striker, upleasant to play against (good in the air and with a bit of an aggressive streak). It's always difficult to compare a player when he's at a different club as he might have been netter/worse had he stayed at the previous one.

As for Saturday, I think the squad size, injuries and such will catch up with us soon. Think it will be a very close game.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My son had Barnes's name on his shirt too. He was visibly pleased when he saw my son wearing it and signed it. It was a shocking decision to let him go: I've been watching Brighton for 50 years and his departure is the one that's upset me most. Sure, we've had better players leave but they went to improve themselves, Barnes went to a team in the same division for not that much money.

If we'd get him, we'd have got promoted earlier, He was a decent enough goal scorer but what he really brought to the team was a terrific work-rate and the ability to get into the faces of the opposition.

My son was so upset after Barnes left that he eventually stopped going. He hasn't been to the Albion for three years now
That’s just shit parenting in fairness... :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Nobody on this thread has advocated bringing him back in January. His fans on this thread are saying, we shouldn't have let him go. There is a difference.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Nobody on this thread has advocated bringing him back in January. His fans on this thread are saying, we shouldn't have let him go. There is a difference.

Now let's say Burnley were prepared to sell him for £2 million in January would you buy and why? To me he should n't ave gone when he did.

Why would I have him back - because he of his work rate and the fact that he does have a hard mean streak and at times you need that in a team and we currently don't have someone. I would not play him in the front two positions (we need a nippy striker) but would play him on the right/left side. He is a player with a lot of experience, scores the odd goal but other teams know they have played against him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Now let's say Burnley were prepared to sell him for £2 million in January would you buy and why? To me he should n't ave gone when he did.

Why would I have him back - because he of his work rate and the fact that he does have a hard mean streak and at times you need that in a team and we currently don't have someone. I would not play him in the front two positions (we need a nippy striker) but would play him on the right/left side. He is a player with a lot of experience, scores the odd goal but other teams know they have played against him.

For £2million, yes, but I doubt that Burnley would put such a small price tag on him. We could also afford to get the pacy striker we need.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, he had a cruciate ligament injury which can happen to any player. That's not the same as Baldock who plays six games and then is injured for months.

Point of order, Baldock goes missing after 9 (nine) games, not 6.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He was crap, he really, really was.

Brighton top goal scorers since the 1970's

1. Kit Napier 99
2. Peter Ward 95
3. Bobby Zamora 90
4. Glenn Murray 84
5. Kurt Nogan 60
6. Garry Nelson 59
6. Terry Connor 59
8. Ashley Barnes 53
9. Nicky Forster 51
10. Robert Codner 47
11. Gary Hart 45
12. Fred Binney 44
13. Peter O'Sullivan 43
13. Michael Robinson 43
15. Kevin Bremner 41
15. Brian Horton 41
17. Gerry Ryan 39
17. Danny Wilson 39
19. Leon Knight 36
20. Ian Mellor 35
20. Tomer Hemed 35

NOT CRAP

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
The reason i signed up to NSC was to defend Barnes from all those muppets who kept on saying he wasnt good enough. Was gutted when he left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here