Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] “And Ashley Barnes propels Burnley into the Top 4!”

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Not really much choice for the club, it was more a case of when, not if we lost him

He wasn't likely to sign another contract after the abuse he got from some of our fans, and as he was in the last few months of his contract so he would have been able to leave for nothing in the summer. Either way he would have gone.

Personally, I reckon that's bollocks. Simple fact is, Burnley courted him, were persistent in their desire to sign him and gave him a lengthy contract; if Albion had matched that I have no doubt he would have stayed. Let's look at what we know:

In May 2013, a couple of months before his contract was due to expire, a one-year extension was triggered (by the number of appearances he had made). That August, Burnley came in for him. The bid was rejected by Albion, as were two subsequent bids, with Brian Owen reporting the final offer as ₤500k.

In the Argus in November 2013 Barnes said:-

I felt like I was getting pushed out of the club but that's besides the point. I want to be here for as many years as possible but I need to be given the opportunity to be here and obviously it's the people upstairs that make that decision. I am just going to fight for my career until the end of the season and hopefully get offered a new deal. ..I want to be here for a long time. This is where I see my life and my family is settled here.

On January 2 2014 Burnley came back in with a bid worth ₤750k in total (reliably reported as ₤400k up front with ₤350k in various appearance and other clauses). There was also reportedly interest from Leeds (which came to nothing because their owners, Gulf Finance House objected to paying the necessary upfront fee) and Wolves. Barnes, apparently, had been offered a two-year deal by Albion but he wanted three years. On January 10 2014 he was sold to the Clarets and penned a three-and-a-half year deal.

Quite simply, Burnley showed they thoroughly rated him, chased him, and put their money where their mouth was. Our loss, their gain.

Good luck to him; I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea but I don't think anyone can complain about a lack of application from him for the team he represents. That team happens to be fourth in the Premier League right now; I have a load of respect for what he, and his team, have achieved.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
But he wasn't at Withdean.

I always suspected that the Barnes haters were new 'supporters'.

Oh, yes he was. Mr Burns & I had many a run in on Nsc before we got to the Amex. He started a thread Ashley Barnes, not good enough for League One.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Let's not go overboard here, his record is 1 in 7 for Burnley, he suits them and their recruitment policy.

Not sure there's too many Prem suitors who are looking to prize him away from Burnley and get him in their first team.

He works hard and puts himself about a bit, that's about all I can say about him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Personally, I reckon that's bollocks. Simple fact is, Burnley courted him, were persistent in their desire to sign him and gave him a lengthy contract; if Albion had matched that I have no doubt he would have stayed. Let's look at what we know:

In May 2013, a couple of months before his contract was due to expire, a one-year extension was triggered (by the number of appearances he had made). That August, Burnley came in for him. The bid was rejected by Albion, as were two subsequent bids, with Brian Owen reporting the final offer as ₤500k.

In the Argus in November 2013 Barnes said:-

On January 2 2014 Burnley came back in with a bid worth ₤750k in total (reliably reported as ₤400k up front with ₤350k in various appearance and other clauses). There was also reportedly interest from Leeds (which came to nothing because their owners, Gulf Finance House objected to paying the necessary upfront fee) and Wolves. Barnes, apparently, had been offered a two-year deal by Albion but he wanted three years. On January 10 2014 he was sold to the Clarets and penned a three-and-a-half year deal.

Quite simply, Burnley showed they thoroughly rated him, chased him, and put their money where their mouth was. Our loss, their gain.

Good luck to him; I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea but I don't think anyone can complain about a lack of application from him for the team he represents. That team happens to be fourth in the Premier League right now; I have a load of respect for what he, and his team, have achieved.

Barnsey went to take a penalty awarded in the south end, & there was a very audible groan from a large section of the Brighton fans.
I also spoke to him in Spain during a pre-season tour, wearing my shirt with his signature. He joked 'My only fan'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Let's not go overboard here, his record is 1 in 7 for Burnley, he suits them and their recruitment policy.

Not sure there's too many Prem suitors who are looking to prize him away from Burnley and get him in their first team.

He works hard and puts himself about a bit, that's about all I can say about him

So you think Barnes buzzing around and getting in defenders faces whilst scoring the occasional goal is something that our lethargic slow experienced old timers up front can do as well? It was a cock up that we didn’t try harder to keep him and he now plays in a team that have broken into the top four with a goal from him. Jeez he is damned with faint praise by so many on here. Our team is crying out for a Barnes type player, even if it was just as an available sub.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

There's not a season since he went that wouldn't've improved our team

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
So you think Barnes buzzing around and getting in defenders faces whilst scoring the occasional goal is something that our lethargic slow experienced old timers up front can do as well? It was a cock up that we didn’t try harder to keep him and he now plays in a team that have broken into the top four with a goal from him. Jeez he is damned with faint praise by so many on here. Our team is crying out for a Barnes type player, even if it was just as an available sub.

No I don't , starting Barnes in our team ahead of Murray or Hemed? Not seeing it . He's not a number 1 striker.

Bring Barnes on with 20 mins to go, then fair enough.

Think memories are fading, he had a lot of bang average games for us.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
No I don't , starting Barnes in our team ahead of Murray or Hemed? Not seeing it . He's not a number 1 striker.

Bring Barnes on with 20 mins to go, then fair enough.

Think memories are fading, he had a lot of bang average games for us.

k

Who didn't? Murray & Hemed have bang average games too.

Barnes is rarely injured which is a big plus.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Who didn't? Murray & Hemed have bang average games too.

Barnes is rarely injured which is a big plus.

If someone had said replace Hemed with Barnes before his ban, or replace Murray with Barnes after the Swansea match everyone would have rolled about laughing.

We have a few duff results and now Ashley Barnes is the answer :lolol:

Honestly, you couldn't make it up.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If someone had said replace Hemed with Barnes before his ban, or replace Murray with Barnes after the Swansea match everyone would have rolled about laughing.

We have a few duff results and now Ashley Barnes is the answer :lolol:

Honestly, you couldn't make it up.

You can't speak for everyone. I, for one, have been a fan of his, when he originally came to us, on loan, from Plymouth. I was dead chuffed, when we bought him after that.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
We need a number 1 striker, we should go all out to land Ashley Barnes in January, that would please this board :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I also spoke to him in Spain during a pre-season tour, wearing my shirt with his signature. He joked 'My only fan'.

My son had Barnes's name on his shirt too. He was visibly pleased when he saw my son wearing it and signed it. It was a shocking decision to let him go: I've been watching Brighton for 50 years and his departure is the one that's upset me most. Sure, we've had better players leave but they went to improve themselves, Barnes went to a team in the same division for not that much money.

If we'd get him, we'd have got promoted earlier, He was a decent enough goal scorer but what he really brought to the team was a terrific work-rate and the ability to get into the faces of the opposition.

My son was so upset after Barnes left that he eventually stopped going. He hasn't been to the Albion for three years now

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here