Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The bottom half of the Premier League: 10 teams, 6 points

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I know I keep banging the "hope we don't regret those 4 home draws" drum, but it's those games that may end up hurting us.

Yep. We will need to be safe about 5 games out as our last 4 games will be very hard

Palace A
Spurs H
Burnley A
Man Utd H

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
We've dropped at least 6 points from games we really should have won. Not taking our chances will bite us hard. It's going to be a bumpy ride so buckle up, but it wouldn't be BHAFC if we did it easy. #holdthenerve

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep. We will need to be safe about 5 games out as our last 4 games will be very hard

Palace A
Spurs H
Burnley A
Man Utd H

and Liverpool.

The Albion were always in a false position when 8th (or was it 9th), as we were only 7 points above relegation.
Had Stoke or palace (god forbid both) gone our way, the team would now be edging into the comfort of the 'them, us, and then everybody else' position that Everton 'enjoyed' last season.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Keep the faith guys, as I've always said games played plus 10%, currently played 16 on 17 points so only .6 behind. If we grab a point tonight we'll be .7 behind going into some winnable games. All this doom and gloom yet a run of two wins and a draw and we're all back in the dizzy land of Top 10 (* and my Top Ten bets back on!)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Palace A
Spurs H
Burnley A
Man Utd H

Oh good, we've got the NigeIs in a proverbial 6 pointer just 4 games from the end of the season in which both teams will probably be fighting to stay up.

What could possibly go wrong? Sake.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Also, am I the only one already hoping certain teams do well/badly at the top end of the league? For example, it would be ideal for us if Man City run away with the league so Spurs, United and Liverpool aren't fighting for that when we play them in the final weeks. It would be even better if those three teams already have their place in the top four sewn up so they aren't needing points for that. And the cherry on the cake would be if Spurs and Man United made it to the semi-final of the Champions League as their European ties would be immediately before/after they play us.

I agree, the sooner City are mathematically Champions the better. Man Utd and Liverpool safe in the Top 4 would be very nice too before the final two games.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I don't think we even need the 10%. A point per game is fine, so we're currently +1 but obviously that is likely to be wiped out tonight and we'll be back to 0.

The issue we have, as already mentioned above, is that our last five games are an absolute nightmare. Quite simply, we are going to have to perform in February and March to get ahead of the required rate.

Agreed, I wouldn't say we're fine with 38 pts, other clubs have gone down with that number BUT points are seeming to be shared around more this season making the safe number lower, I guess? I'm sticking with games played plus 10% at 34 played this would be 37 and looking good (ish)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Also, am I the only one already hoping certain teams do well/badly at the top end of the league? For example, it would be ideal for us if Man City run away with the league so Spurs, United and Liverpool aren't fighting for that when we play them in the final weeks. It would be even better if those three teams already have their place in the top four sewn up so they aren't needing points for that. And the cherry on the cake would be if Spurs and Man United made it to the semi-final of the Champions League as their European ties would be immediately before/after they play us.

Don't disagree however where you finish within the Top 4 also matters and is rarely sorted out until that final weekend

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree that Swansea and West Brom look like our best hopes for occupying two places at the moment. Swansea were embarrassingly bad when we played them and barely have a single player that looks like driving them to Premier League wins. I wouldn't completely write them off though as they still have the 'change of manager' card to play and you never know who they might get, but it's looking tough for them. West Brom have already played that crucial card and appear to have chosen badly in Pardew. He's had possibly the easiest start he could have asked for (Newcastle at home, Swansea away) and taken one point. They now have to play Liverpool, Man United, Everton and Arsenal in their next six so it's entirely possible they could be over halfway through the season with no more than 16 or 17 points on the board, which would then require a turnaround that I think is beyond Pardew.

So the good news is there are two teams there that we should be confident of finishing above as it stands. The bad news is I can't make a case for us being clearly better than anyone else at the moment, although I'm sure there will be a team that has a nightmare in the second half of the season. Let's just hope it's not us.

Again we'll just have to wallow in agreement, which is not the done thing on here. If WBA and Swansea are likely candidates, then I'd certainly have taken the option of being in the race with three or four other teams to be the last one for the drop but, as you indicate, even this is too like crystal ball gazing.

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
And were losing against when v 11 for 88 minutes

Watford essentially had 9 men on the pitch when Palarse scored their goals as someone went off injured.

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
Don't disagree however where you finish within the Top 4 also matters and is rarely sorted out until that final weekend

Why does it matter? I thought 2nd, 3rd and 4th were all guaranteed a CL place without having to qualify. There's just kudos and prize money to play for behind Citeh.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I am rooting for all sorts of teams I dislike this season, very odd indeed. I agree with your sentiments.

theboybilly

Watford essentially had 9 men on the pitch when Palarse scored their goals as someone went off injured.

This is essentially the point I was trying to make in that Palace have had a lot of good fortune in their home games thus far. Last night they were very poor in the first half and could easily have gone in 3 down at the break. They improved in the 2nd period but were not testing Gomes until Cleverly got sent off. I am not convinced they have it in them to fight their way out of this. Away from home they are yet to score and of their remaining home games 5 are against the Big 6 (if you will) None of my argument reflects on Albion's predicament (I think we are in big trouble now too) but I think we will have a very good picture come New Years Day after this next round of results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here