Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Font/typeface query

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I want the font to use in Phonto to create a poster. Here’s my first attempt. Done on an iPad with fat fingers - hence the lack of ‘spikiness’ on the original.

View attachment 91930

Some decent advice after your post of this attempt, in particular the scan and redraw option.

One further thing, I would watch out for the space between letters. At present there is quite a large visual gap between the t & h at the start of each word. While this doesn't look too bad at this size if you were to blow this up, say for a poster, the T could look quite detached. The I is also a little gappy..

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Some decent advice after your post of this attempt, in particular the scan and redraw option.

One further thing, I would watch out for the space between letters. At present there is quite a large visual gap between the t & h at the start of each word. While this doesn't look too bad at this size if you were to blow this up, say for a poster, the T could look quite detached. The I is also a little gappy..

Cheers for that - I’ll need to have a play around with the drawing area of each letter which will sort the spacing. I think it’s going to take longer to do than my middle-aged patience levels may be able to take :)

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Second attempt. Needs work.

FF9740EE-94FA-4701-B6B8-BF6B6B641C3E.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's certainly not Doves Type

Podcast Episode 168: The Destruction of the Doves Type

https://www.futilitycloset.com/2017/09/04/podcast-episode-168-destruction-doves-type/

In March 1913, Thomas James Cobden-Sanderson threw the most beautiful typeface in the world off of London’s Hammersmith Bridge to keep it out of the hands of his estranged printing partner. In this week’s episode of the Futility Closet podcast we’ll explore what would lead a man to destroy the culmination of his life’s work — and what led one modern admirer to try to revive it.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Off topic but I remember when I did my MSc, my supervisor asked me to change my thesis font from Arial to Times New Roman as he couldn't bear to read it....academics eh!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It isn't a typeface, it was individual lettering created from cut outs. Notice that the two Is, two Ms and two Es are different.

I had this issue when I re-created the 'Immediate' logo for the shop in Sydney Street in the mid-90s (the shop is still going). I couldn't use the exact logo, so did a rough approximation of it.

So for an 'All Mod Cons' type thing, create yourself a straight-line set of cutouts to create letters you don't have. That's what The Jam did, though in their instance, they did a cut out of the 'M' and re-used it (for the 'M' in 'Jam' and in 'Mod'), where 'Immediate' didn't.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm off to Spurs in a moment.

Happy to create your logo from using the Immediate type typography; as I said, I've done this before. Let me know.

If you're happy for me to do so, PM me, and I'll start on it tomorrow. :)

Crikey - that’s very kind of you - I’ll get on it.

Ps - enjoy tonight **gulp**

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here