Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Star Wars: the Last Jedi reviews coming in [Warning: getting spoiler-y]

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I have to say that I was slightly disappointed, but that is probably because I was getting so over-excited by this film that it was always going to struggle to live up to my hopes and expectations.

Rogue One did push the bar ridiculously high, being one of the very best films the franchise has done.

This one meandered a bit too much for me from one "we must take out the ...." to the next. Too much time on repeating that theme, and too little time on character development. Having said that, I did still really enjoy it, and was a solid 7/10 for me. It left me with so many questions about the characters still, and what has made them the people they are, which is probably deliberate to build up for the next one to be the big reveals, but I felt we could have been given more of that last night.

Comedy. I don't get what people are saying there. Star Wars has ALWAYS had comedy in it. It's not alone in that in Sci-fi, as Marvel films are full of comedy, getting that balance between emotion, action, and comedy. However, I don't think Carrie Fisher posthumously auditioning for the role of Super Girl was an intended piece of comedy. Shame that scene made it through the edit tbh.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
It was a good movie but for me was shot and played much more like a Marvel movie than a Star Wars one. Add to it the overload of comedy (comic touches are appreciated but I just thought they shovelled a bit too much in) and about 45 minutes of unnecessary (and on a couple of occasions, cringy) scenes leaves me with a distinctly average impression. Give it 7/10, sixth in the list of nine Star Wars films (including 'Rogue One' because it's my favourite :D).

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The Kylo Ren v Rey story is far and away the most exciting aspect of this trilogy. The screen almost crackles with tension when the two of them occupy it. It was also great to see Mark Hamill get his acting chops. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Far from perfect with a couple of items that underwhelmed me but I'm still thrilled to find myself being entertained by Star Wars in my mid forties. It's nice to be made to feel like I'm eight years old again every now and then.

Rogue One feels to me to be the new benchmark for Star Wars if you're an adult but the ongoing trilogy still has an eye firmly on the kids.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I really enjoyed it, I thought it contained enough for the die hard fans "ugh its salt".... and enough for the casual Star Wars fan.

The "OJ police chase" was a bit silly, as was Leia 'flying' scene, but there were some great twists and turns and the movie ensured it moved away from the well-trodden Star Wars path that Force Awakens blindly followed (which was just Star Wars repeated). 8.5/10.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It was a good movie but for me was shot and played much more like a Marvel movie than a Star Wars one. Add to it the overload of comedy (comic touches are appreciated but I just thought they shovelled a bit too much in) and about 45 minutes of unnecessary (and on a couple of occasions, cringy) scenes leaves me with a distinctly average impression. Give it 7/10, sixth in the list of nine Star Wars films (including 'Rogue One' because it's my favourite :D).
The Kylo Ren v Rey story is far and away the most exciting aspect of this trilogy. The screen almost crackles with tension when the two of them occupy it. It was also great to see Mark Hamill get his acting chops. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Far from perfect with a couple of items that underwhelmed me but I'm still thrilled to find myself being entertained by Star Wars in my mid forties. It's nice to be made to feel like I'm eight years old again every now and then.

Rogue One feels to me to be the new benchmark for Star Wars if you're an adult but the ongoing trilogy still has an eye firmly on the kids.

two post summarise it all for me

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I liked it. But, yes, bloated in middle and comedy was a bit forced.

Don't think I'd just taste red stuff in ice.

Laura Dern should have had her idea 10min earlier.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Third best star wars film IMO behind Empire and Rogue One.

The Holdo scene is pretty epic.

I like that it's funny and how Luke has gone from being a wide eyed thing in a New Hope to being a disillusioned cynic.

It reminded me of Empire in that the good guys don't really "win" and the resistance just get their arses kicked.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just got back from cinema.
Always a die hard Star Wars fan, but this sort of limped through the two & half hours.
But even so, I still loved it, roll on the next one :thumbsup:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The bad

A Star Wars film should have comedy in it. But at the right times. The comedy in this cost it a lot of hard earned dramatic tension. Yoda's line of "a page turner it is not" annoyed me. Page turner is such a current phrase, it's use took me out of the star wars universe for a moment, that's the last thing they want to achieve. Leia flying through space ... completely stupid.... i'm not opposed to her showing a few jedi abilities, though there are still physical laws which should apply to make it believable. They shouldn't have showed the lightsabre moving before Snoke got it, and made the audience believe for a sec that Rey was dead. What's the poiont of continuallu have Chewy, R2 and 3po in if you're continually going to give them nothing to do. Either get them in the plot or have the balls to write them out

The good

Brilliant the way Kylo and Rey almost started to develop a friendship. There was loads more of Leia that I expected, similarly Luke. I liked that there was a bit of moral ambiguity in it .. giving the message in a war, who really are the good guys. Great That Del Toro's character, didn't turn out Lando like to be a goody after all. The Rey parentage issue was handled in the most sensible way possible. Great that Poe's hubris cost the Rebel Alliance hundreds of lives, they could have focused on that a bit more and showed a bit more soul searching. Some nice references, Rey and Kylo in a lift going to meet Snoke.

To sum up

No way as good as Rogue 1, (my legs could barely take my weight after watching that). At least though Last Jedi had the confidence to go it's own way, which definitely puts it ahead of Awakens.

For the record ..... in order i'm going ....

New Hope
Empire
Rogue 1
Return of the Jedi
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace
Last Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Force Awakens

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Just seen it and felt it was pretty damn good.. a huge amount of info to process and it felt like 3 films in one.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
For the record ..... in order i'm going ....

New Hope
Empire
Rogue 1
Return of the Jedi
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace
Last Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Force Awakens

Force Awakens last... Attack of the Clones so high, when its the most ponderous of the prequals? never seems such an ordering.

though you have touched on one line from Yoda that grated, especially having watched the entire Clone Wars series i appreciated the spirituality of the island and the broad concepts of the force they were painting.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
They need Spielberg to direct one of these films. He would SMASH it !

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here