Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Christmas Tips...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's already written the cards so maybe he'll just put them in tomorrow's papers and see what turns up. He's already had one tenner off someone without asking so maybe that's the way.

Another vote here for DON'T KNOCK.

I wouldn't tip anyone who dared to PRESUME they were getting one.

Imagine if you were out for a meal, and the waiter came over and said, "Hope you enjoyed your meal. Can I have my tip now please?"

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Another vote here for DON'T KNOCK.

I wouldn't tip anyone who dared to PRESUME they were getting one.

Imagine if you were out for a meal, and the waiter came over and said, "Hope you enjoyed your meal. Can I have my tip now please?"

Or just left the bill with service included @10% (or higher)

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
My son does a paper rounds every morning of the week and very diligent he is too. He wants to go and collect some Xmas tips but can't quite decide on the optimum day and time on which to head out.

There are many factors at play here, from people being at work or out after work to people with small kids putting them to bed and so on and so forth.

So what's the best day of the week, and time, for him to wish his customers a happy Christmas/beg for cash?

My paper round days were 50 years ago in Westdene. Xmas time was always a good time for tips, usually two bob or half a crown, for the senior members on here. But I did not knock on any door, and do think that putting people under pressure like that is not the best way of going about matters. Most folk would see a paper boy/girl as fair game for a tip, as opposed to an adult doing their regular job, and surely they will come to the door to hand him something, as they did with me. Or have things changed so much that no one bothers any more?
As an aside, the pay then was 14 shillings a week, which, as I recall, was the exact cost of a day return train fare to Victoria.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

It's worse than that in SA. Its extremely common to have your bill bought to you half way through a meal when service is not even finished and desserts/ further drinks not ordered for the waitron to explain they are finishing their shift now. To be fair a lot of these places the staff dont get paid a wage at all and only get their tips and they are responsible for the bill to be closed which they opened so you live with it. Doesnt really happen in classier restaurants, more chainy/franchise places

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here