Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Christmas Tips...

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I don't get why you seem so set on knocking, it's just awkward. It won't convince anyone who isn't tipping to do so and it certainly might put a few who were off.

Just said he'll probably drop them through the door.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So to get this right. The boy is being paid weekly to deliver papers and is doing what he is paid to do. But now because its Xmas time he expects more money from the people he is delivery to, although they already pay to have their papers delivered.
This is just what is wrong today an expectation of more although not going beyond what he is paid to do.

Just tell him he's lucky to have a job and to expect nothing more.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
So to get this right. The boy is being paid weekly to deliver papers and is doing what he is paid to do. But now because its Xmas time he expects more money from the people he is delivery to, although they already pay to have their papers delivered.
This is just what is wrong today an expectation of more although not going beyond what he is paid to do.

He can get up the chimney when he's finished too...

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I blame the parents.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I never got a tip from my paper round in the 90's, did a 3 mile round twice a day. One lady gave me a cup of tea once when it was snowing. Never even thought of a tip. Nothing wrong with a card in their daily paper I think that would be the best approach, not a separate special mission however it is dressed up

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
He wouldn't stand with his hand out. And I wouldn't let him. The cards are done and he might just drop them through the door one night this week I'm guessing

Sorry but this is what you said earlier:

He's going to knock the door and give them a card... and then wait there with his hand out.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I don't get why you seem so set on knocking, it's just awkward. It won't convince anyone who isn't tipping to do so and it certainly might put a few who were off.

Innit. Plus most people probably won't have cash there and then. All he needs to do is drop the card with the papers one day this week and then between now and Xmas he will get a load of cards stuck to the door hopefully with some cash. No awkwardness. Nice faceless transaction.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Innit. Plus most people probably won't have cash there and then. All he needs to do is drop the card with the papers one day this week and then between now and Xmas he will get a load of cards stuck to the door hopefully with some cash. No awkwardness. Nice faceless transaction.
Saturday before Xmas the best in my experience, guessing he normally starts a little later, most people are home. They don't expect an Xmas card either. Got £120 my last year, that was nearly 30 years ago. Paid for a few Xmas drinks !!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The GIF dude

Mar 22, 2013
Sidwell
I never got a tip from my paper round in the 90's, did a 3 mile round twice a day. One lady gave me a cup of tea once when it was snowing. Never even thought of a tip. Nothing wrong with a card in their daily paper I think that would be the best approach, not a separate special mission however it is dressed up

You were lucky to get a cup of tea, for my paper round, I had to walk 15 miles uphill both ways, thrice a day, and I had to tip them.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
If it were me I'd pop a card with the paper, knocking is a bit like begging. Also if he knocks and gives the card in person I'd imagine many have no idea what their paperboy looks like!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I had a few paper rounds as a kid and collection rounds on Sunday, did well out of them at Christmas time.
Would never ever presume that a tip was part of the job requirement, that sounds so American.
I only got them when I happened to bump into the customers, or they made a point to look out for me and give me something.
It was funny sometimes as they used to give me a tip in the evening and also give me another to give to the morning paperboy, not knowing that I was he as well.
Surprising how many customers you never ever see when doing that job.
Tips are an unexpected perk, which makes it nice when they are given, I would hate to make someone feel that it was something they had to do, just because other people were inclined to do so.
People on low incomes may struggle to tip the paperboy, the post man, the bin men, where does it end.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
In fact TIPS means 'To Insure Prompt Service' and originally were given before the meal or event to guarantee good service during the proceedings.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In fact TIPS means 'To Insure Prompt Service' and originally were given before the meal or event to guarantee good service during the proceedings.

Surely that would be "ensure"?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
My kids did paper rounds until quite recently and got huge Christmas tips. All they did was to include a cheap card with the papers one day, and over the weeks before Christmas the tips would emerge.

Personally I'd have no problem being generous to a kid who's done a good job all year in all weathers but I wouldn't want the paper boy/girl to knock on the door and ask me outright for a tip.

Many, many, many years ago I delivered free papers (much easier than a proper round as you just delivered one to every house). Because of the timing of getting the papers (usually thurs eve) and the deadline to deliver (sun AM) and an inherent lack of desire to do the job but need for the money, I was out delivering papers on Christmas Day morning. Not one tip, not even a "F@ck me, what are you doing?!" out of a window. Guess people appreciated proper newspapers much more than the fire-lighters we used to deliver! :lolol:

greengull

Sep 5, 2003
When I did my round in our village over 30 years ago, doing the same round for several years, and papers were delivered before 7:15am in all weathers, before my hour journey to school, I got a reasonable amount of tips. I didnt try the card trick, which to me smacks itself a bit like asking for a tip anyway.
How about knocking on the door and singing a christmas carol badly?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I tipped the paperboy a tenner last year when he knocked my door. Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough to catch the little f#cker when I'd realised I don't have any papers delivered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here