Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Calling occupants of interplanetary.....?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Found it!!!

BBGCPof.jpg

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
'Take me to your leader'.

'Well, OK, but she lives in a sustainable Public Transport venue, so we must use Southern Rail.'.

'Maybe just take me to the pub'.

"Take me to your leader"

"Uh, well, about that, Hughton took out a restraining order on me some time ago so..."

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's a known fact that Earth supports life because it is the right distance from our Sun. Therefore it's not impossible that in one of the thousands of galaxies( no chocolate jokes ) there is not more similar circumstances.

Best estimate atm is 100-200 Billion galaxies...

Every time I do the Drake equation, even using what to my mind are ridiculously small numbers, I come out with an estimate of thousands of intelligent life forms currently out there somewhere...

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

Every time I do the Drake equation, even using what to my mind are ridiculously small numbers, I come out with an estimate of thousands of intelligent life forms currently out there somewhere...

Can you please define 'intelligent'?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

'Astronomers using NASA data calculate that in our galaxy alone there are at least 8.8 billion Earth-sized planets that are not too hot or not too cold and circle stars that are just like our sun, according to a study published Monday.4 Nov 2013'

Utterly absurd to think that our planet is the only planet anywhere that is currently supporting life. The sheer numbers involved make that infinitely more unlikely than likely.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Can you please define 'intelligent'?

Sentient? Or are we talking technologically advanced?

In this context I was defining “intelligent” the same way as Drake does, ie those civilisations that are sufficiently technologically advanced that they have released detectable signals into space. By this definition, we became “intelligent” at around the time of the 1936 Berlin olympics.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
'Astronomers using NASA data calculate that in our galaxy alone there are at least 8.8 billion Earth-sized planets that are not too hot or not too cold and circle stars that are just like our sun, according to a study published Monday.4 Nov 2013'

Utterly absurd to think that our planet is the only planet anywhere that is currently supporting life. The sheer numbers involved make that infinitely more unlikely than likely.

Yep, I agree, for exactly the reason you cite.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
In this context I was defining “intelligent” the same way as Drake does, ie those civilisations that are sufficiently technologically advanced that they have released detectable signals into space. By this definition, we became “intelligent” at around the time of the 1936 Berlin olympics.

Which means one of the first humans they will see is Adolf Hitler.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

But not in Croydon.

Be interesting to see (hear) what transpires on the 13th when they focus the big dish on it. The 13th is my B'day, so it could be one to remember!!

images.jpg

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

The frustrating part is that the time spans and distances involved mean that

1. Any signal we pick up is likely to come from a civilisation that's no longer there (risen, flourished, declined, GONE)
2. IF they're still 'alive' we'll never meet them (without wormholes or other universal short-cuts).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Which means one of the first humans they will see is Adolf Hitler.

Regrettably, yes.

Mind you, the TV signal was so weak that by the time it gets anywhere where it could reasonably be thought there might be someone to pick it up, it’ll hopefully be so degraded that they’ll miss it...

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Regrettably, yes.

Mind you, the TV signal was so weak that by the time it gets anywhere where it could reasonably be thought there might be someone to pick it up, it’ll hopefully be so degraded that they’ll miss it...

They can pick up on a re-run or on demand when they get that service.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

1. Any signal we pick up is likely to come from a civilisation that's no longer there (risen, flourished, declined, GONE)
2. IF they're still 'alive' we'll never meet them (without wormholes or other universal short-cuts).

The Drake equation specifically addresses point 1. It’s a formula for guesstimating the number of “active” (alive now) civilisations. You’re right though - this particular term requires one to guess how long an intelligent life form exists for before ceasing to transmit (for whatever reason).

Your point 2 is where most people misinterpret the Drake equation. “If there’s so many intelligent life forms, where are they?” they say. There is a world of difference between being able to transmit TV/radio signals that leak or are actively transmitted into space, and being able to physically travel inter-stellar (still less inter-galactic) distances.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
It does rather look like a huge rock more than it looks like a spaceship doesn't it!

Indeed. I think the unusual thing the scientists are pointing out is the unusual shape, i.e cylindrical. Very unusual shape for a naturally occurring asteroid (though not beyond the realms of probability, maybe scoured as it's passed through the interstellar medium) coupled with the trajectory indicating it came from outside our solar system (and presumably from beyond the heliopause). There's no report I can see that describes whether it's tumbling, spinning on its long axis or just moving forwards with no rotation.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Unless of course they already walk among us...

Iain-Dowie-el-parecido-razonable-de-Slot-el-de-los-goonies-300x214.jpeg

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Drake equation specifically addresses point 1. It’s a formula for guesstimating the number of “active” (alive now) civilisations. You’re right though - this particular term requires one to guess how long an intelligent life form exists for before ceasing to transmit (for whatever reason).

Your point 2 is where most people misinterpret the Drake equation. “If there’s so many intelligent life forms, where are they?” they say. There is a world of difference between being able to transmit TV/radio signals that leak or are actively transmitted into space, and being able to physically travel inter-stellar (still less inter-galactic) distances.

I do love a good 'hard' sci-fi story and the concepts behind the Drake equation and Fermi Paradox are great ideas to explore. Stephen Baxter touches on it In many of his books. I do like his work.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here