Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your Wembley memories.

Jul 7, 2003
Ignoring the obvious, watched Albion a couple of times in the old Daily Express 5-a-side tournaments at Wembley Arena. The first time we got through to the final and lost 2-0 to Sunderland and it was great. The next time was under Mike Bailey I think and we were the only team to play defensively and went out in the first stages. You used to get a good mix of current players and youngsters playing. I remember seeing Paul Davis and Chris Whyte playing for Arsenal before they had broken into the first team as well as the likes of Paul Mariner who was then an England international.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Coming back to Brighton (first game 1983) it seemed like the streets were lined with people to welcome us, almost like returning heroes. Probably imagining some of it but an enduring memory.

Also 1982 a friendly vs W. Germany (1-2 loss, Rummenigger 2 goals) when a German girl collapsed in the crowd and I helped carry her to the front and through the (then fenced) touchline with her friend screeching in broken English "It is in the blood. It is bloody!". My only time on Wembley turf.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1991 the sheer Adrenalin of it and the huge number of Forest fans come to support their 2nd club! For all their history, County are a tiny club. Still, we were never in it despite hitting the bar and post. We were a poor team that year, couldn’t defend to save our lives!!

This. Apart from a couple of England games 91 was my only visit. Brilliant up to the game itself. Me and one of my brothers took the tube to Harrow; then 'on the Hill' where various other sensible Albion supporters were enjoying a nice lunch and beer before the game. Heading south to Wembley on the tube from Harrow is one of the smartest moves available to ourselves when visiting said crucible of football disappointment. Saw Annie Nightingale inside the ground - great atmos, then that little ginger tosser ruined it all for us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This. Apart from a couple of England games 91 was my only visit. Brilliant up to the game itself. Me and one of my brothers took the tube to Harrow; then 'on the Hill' where various other sensible Albion supporters were enjoying a nice lunch and beer before the game. Heading south to Wembley on the tube from Harrow is one of the smartest moves available to ourselves when visiting said crucible of football disappointment. Saw Annie Nightingale inside the ground - great atmos, then that little ginger tosser ruined it all for us.

The atmosphere arriving at Victoria and round the underground. And that hideous strawberry chewit wrapper of a kit. The 90s got a lot to answer for.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
As an impassioned then dejected 11 year old '91 sticks long in the memory. If only we hadn't hit the post and bar. Tommy Johnson was and still is a CJCT as far as my 11 year old self is concerned.

Annoyed to be visiting tomorrow and not be able to have got a ticket in the away end but lets hope we somehow show some inspiration and don't let the occasion bypass us.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
1991 with my dad and little bro. I was 13 at the time and had an air horn, much to the annoyance of the poor people sat in front of us as I was letting it off pretty much directly at their ear level. I have hated Tommy Johnson ever since that game. The only other time I went to Wembley was to watch an England v Poland game mid 90s i think, which was very forgettable.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Hiding a spliff in a bush on Wembley Way in 91, having panicked at the large police presence around the ground, then leaving the match at least ten minutes early, along with thousands of other Albion flocking out, and failing to find the right bush. #GoodTimes

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As an impassioned then dejected 11 year old '91 sticks long in the memory. If only we hadn't hit the post and bar. Tommy Johnson was and still is a CJCT as far as my 11 year old self is concerned.

Annoyed to be visiting tomorrow and not be able to have got a ticket in the away end but lets hope we somehow show some inspiration and don't let the occasion bypass us.
Fear not,you’ll be in good company. A lot of BHA incognito tonight.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I met Alan Mullery there...on Saturday in Club Wembley. He was doing the rounds with Martin Chivers and Gary Mabbutt. Had a quick chat and showed him my Albion season ticket. He assured me he’d be wearing a Brighton tie under his Spurs suit jacket on Wednesday. I’ve same seats for Wednesday so will be able to check if he’s true to his word. I was keener to chat with Martin to ask if he was related to our ‘Chiv’ and whether he had any Maltese blood...as well as reminiscing with him on his amazing beard he sported at the end of his playing days (Panini Football ‘79 - Norwich City page)
Half and half Mullery ?

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Spurs 3 Real Madrid 1. Best Wembley experience for me and i had free beer and food in a directors box :thumbsup:

UaeGull

Dec 21, 2007
'83, lots of nasty fanatical Utd fans in our end first game. Missing the last train back to the Isle of Wight (where I was living at the time) out of Waterloo getting back at 3am. Replay; United singing "Stevie Foster what a difference you have made (harsh). Also had to get a coach back to Portsmouth for the car ferry back to the Island and arriving home at 4am! 91, going with my eldest daughter and her falling asleep, our leaving early and enjoying a great picnic I'd brought on the train back to Manchester. Also U2, the then Pope, that Cliff Richard, three Rugby League Challenge Cup Finals (atmosphere far more relaxed and friendly)! Then tonight........... We are due a win up there me thinks! UTA!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here