Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your Wembley memories.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As the Albion playing at the new Wembley on Weds evening v Spurs.
It got me thinking that, if you're of an age where you can remember the previous visits in 1983 (twice) & 1991, what have been your endearing memories of travelling to the stadium to watch your beloved team.

For me it was the two visits in 1983, especially thinking that after our draw v Manure, we could possibly beat them second time around.
Seeing all the Albion paraphernalia in Blue and White, fantastic stuff.
But boy didn't that turn out differently, I didn't half cop the mickey taking at school afterwards.
Anyway enjoy the experience :thumbsup:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
As the Albion playing at the new Wembley on Weds evening v Spurs.
It got me thinking that, if you're of an age where you can remember the previous visits in 1983 (twice) & 1991, what have been your endearing memories of travelling to the stadium to watch your beloved team.

For me it was the two visits in 1983, especially thinking that after our draw v Manure, we could possibly beat them second time around.
Seeing all the Albion paraphernalia in Blue and White, fantastic stuff.
But boy didn't that turn out differently, I didn't half cop the mickey taking at school afterwards.
Anyway enjoy the experience :thumbsup:

For me they have not been great from the Albion's perspective with two defeats and a draw. But I did enjoy the visit to the 1966 world cup game against Argentina when Rattin got sent of and Ramsey went ballistic calling them animals. A great atmosphere that day.
Hoping for a change of fortunes for my visit tomorrow night.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My two Albion visits were the Cup Final replay and the playoff defeat to Notts County, so definitely hoping everyone has a better experience tomorrow!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
For me they have not been great from the Albion's perspective with two defeats and a draw. But I did enjoy the visit to the 1966 world cup game against Argentina when Rattin got sent of and Ramsey went ballistic calling them animals. A great atmosphere that day.
Hoping for a change of fortunes for my visit tomorrow night.

In the days when you stood and all fans behaved!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
In the days when you stood and all fans behaved!

Well I am not so sure about that as my other visit was a cup final between Liverpool and Leeds. I was behind the goal in the Liverpool end.
Their fans had this habit of surging forward and I ended up with my feet of the ground and being wrapped around a crush barrier, my stomach took weeks to recover. I much prefer the all seater of today.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Waiting for the last few supporters to board our coach after the '83 replay, one turned up with a huge hardboard "Wembley" sign. It would have been about twenty feet long and four feet high. It was so big that he couldn't get it through the coach door. He overcame this by snapping off the "W". He now has a great souvenir of his visit to "embley"!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The first match in 1983 I can remember being at the front of the top tier and giving my ticket to mates below so they could come up to the top. I also remember a big punch up in the middle at some point. Smith's header came right towards me. After the game we wandered around for ages and then saw the team coach leave Wembley as we walked down Wembley way to the tube.

The replay I can't remember as much, two songs though were sung at the end which I always hate and will never sing as they are, in my eyes defeatist songs "we're proud of you" and "Brighton till I die" hate them both.

1991 I drove to Brighton to pick up a friend in my Fiesta, at about Withdean we came to a halt and this Granada smashed into my rear pushing me into the car in front. The driver of the Granada was going to the game and after exchanging details just drove off with water pouring from his rad. We got a taxi back into Brighton and picked up our friends car and drove up. That evening once we got back from the game I had to get the AA to get me and the car back to Bexhill. Wasn't a write off fortunately.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I really enjoyed the cup final day. Not so much the other two visits - though the play off was just spoilt by the game! The fans were really up for it in '91. Just a shame the players weren't.

They were very different days for me.

For the cup final, I travelled up with a Man U supporting school mate, who had a ticket in our end and first alerted me to the fact that we might have a lot of infiltrators. Little did I know how many that would be! The elation when Smith scored the first matched the joy at Newcastle in '79. Sadly, the fairytale wasn't to be, but all the folk at a party I went to after the game (in Kenley - Palace territory) were all very complimentary about the noise we made throughout the game.

For the replay, I had to delay a holiday by a day and catch up with everyone else in Innsbruck. I went to the game with a friend who was also going on the holiday, but hadn't been to an Albion game for a few years. It was a depressing evening from start to finish, despite the larger Albion following. It just didn't have the spark of the Saturday.

For the Play-Off, I travelled on my own but joined everyone else in the pubs around Victoria and really soaked up the atmosphere. As said above, the fans seemed really up for it and the pre-match atmosphere was fantastic. Sadly, the game soon dampened the mood and I slunk off home pretty deflated.

Hoping for a good performance from the team tomorrow, but not expecting to change my record of not having seen us win there. Another draw would be nice, though!

the captain

May 21, 2013
Apart from 83 of course which was amazing.[Smith's miss never really dampened the day for me..couldn't get to the replay as it was midweek] .Following England in the 70's being stuck in a tube train filled with Scots fans before the infamous game where they dismantled our goal posts and being treated brilliantly ..the craik was amazing.Also the fantastic euro 96 notably Gazza's stunner against Scotland[I always hated Colin Hendry!].Worst moment last game at old wembly ..lost to the bloody Germans Keegan resigned it was raining ,had to leave early to catch the last coach to tyneside which I subsequently missed

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Went to see the Poland game in 73 with the clown in goal for them !!
Scotland when they snapped the crossbars etc and numerous old Wembley England games when you could POTG !!
83 Final about 20 of us all stone cold sober do we could enjoy the whole experience etc
The Replay, we were pissed before leaving littlehampton and one bloke was so pissed we left him asleep on the coach
91 was a disappointment to be nice about it
Worked at Wembley the day after an England v Holland game, we went all round the changing rooms etc as they hadn’t been cleaned or locked up, done the Royal Steps and even found a football and scored at both ends with the nets still up.
Never been to the new Wembley yet

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One fantastic, two absolutely gutting are my memories. I have only seen the Albion play at Wembley.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
:xmas:
wembley-market-2011.jpg :xmas:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Got my season ticket paid for the following season by a Man U supporting co-worker who couldn't be arsed to stand in the queue for tickets along the Old Shoreham Road.

ST (Adult) was £40 back then!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
1991 the sheer Adrenalin of it and the huge number of Forest fans come to support their 2nd club! For all their history, County are a tiny club. Still, we were never in it despite hitting the bar and post. We were a poor team that year, couldn’t defend to save our lives!!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I was in with the Palace fans for their play off final defeat v Leicester.
Quite enjoyed that one. I was nearly in tears on the tube back and Palace fans were consoling me because they thought I was upset.
Marvellous scenes.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Stood in the Top tier In 83. When Smith missed, I (for some unknown reason), took the cap off the bloke in front's head, and lobbed it in the air.
The cap slowly and gently floated down to the bottom tier.
He turned to me with a forlorn look on his face and said "That was my cap"
I still feel guilty now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
83 for me. Best moment was the long climb up the steps and the first view of a nearly full wembley with over 30,000 Albion faithful singing their hearts out. Went to the replay too, not so good. Damn you Smith!!!!

:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here