Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your Wembley memories.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I have never watched us at Wembley. I go past it at least once a week for work and always hoped to go. Three out of four years I went past within a few days of not quite making it... the wife booked a trip to London on the day of the QPR vs Derby final and we stopped at Wembley after the match had finished so I at least got to sing some Zamora songs.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Can't remember much about the 2-2 the 4-0 drubbing holds so many good memories oddly enough , the overnight waiting outside the goldstone for the Thursday replay tickets was brilliant so much ank , the turfing out of Man Utd fans from our section will stay with me , if you look closely at some of the replay footage you will see people being surfed from back to front in the lower tier :lolol: Their seemed to be so many more Brighton fans there on the thursday than there was on the Saturday blue and white dotted all around the stadium , for those that were not there it's hard to express the amount of pride in the club people had around that time , what made it surreal was the knowledge that we were to be relegated whatever the result , one of my all time favorite Albion times .

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
2-2 just a great day.

My memory is looking to the heavens and praying for an equaliser - just as Stevens scored [emoji2]

The replay I try and forget.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
First visit was a midweek evening England game in February 1977 against Holland, as part of a big school party.

In front of 92,000 (floodlit matches capacity), Jan Peters scored twice in a one sided 2-0 win.

As a kid I loved the vastness of the place, the huge crowd, even dreaming about that evening from time to time.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Some great memories of both cup final matches in 83 - wish I could remember more but it was quite a booze filled day! Fantastic achievement to get there - in those days the FA cup was more prestigious than now and every team put out their strongest side.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
83 Cup Final has fantastic memories for me for two reasons in particular:
1 Massive Albion contingent in a blur of blue and white, flags, scarves, banners, the lot. Stood with my eldest brother - sadly no longer with us and never got to see us even at Withdean, let alone the Amex – having seen all the Cup run home games and the semi at Highbury. Amazing experience and had our chance to win it.
2 Met up after the game with a colleague on the local paper I was working on in Kent at the time. He was sports editor and had somehow wangled a press ticket for the game, despite no obvious connection to the Albion. He suggested we saunter over to a half-open door, whereupon we embarked on our own personal tour of Wembley during the hour or so after the match (security wasn't all that in those days :lolol:). We wandered through the massed telephones of the press area (all notebooks or portable typewriters in them days, no computers), then made our way down and even had a peek in the now deserted dressing rooms, complete with an empty bottle of champers on the side of one of the communal baths. Capped it all by walking up the tunnel and sauntering around the pitch behind a couple of the Utd players - think Arthur Albiston was one of them. Took photos of the scoreboard etc. Had a big grin on my face for days afterwards - well, until the replay ...
Great times.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Play off final was a disaster in more ways than one...parked up miles away...missed the start...then the long walk back after :(

Saw both cup final matches which will be etched on my mind forever

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Remember sitting on the steps at the Cup Final waiting for our gates to open and watched the helicopter carrying the Albion players flying overhead.
We all started cheering and waving. Doubt they saw or heard us though.

Getting off the supporter's coach to be greeted by the great Fred Oliver selling the Argus & took a photo of him in front of the twin towers.
We gave that photo to him at the first home game of the following season, and he would never charge me for an Argus again, even while he was still at Withdean, before he sadly passed away.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I met Alan Mullery there...on Saturday in Club Wembley. He was doing the rounds with Martin Chivers and Gary Mabbutt. Had a quick chat and showed him my Albion season ticket. He assured me he’d be wearing a Brighton tie under his Spurs suit jacket on Wednesday. I’ve same seats for Wednesday so will be able to check if he’s true to his word. I was keener to chat with Martin to ask if he was related to our ‘Chiv’ and whether he had any Maltese blood...as well as reminiscing with him on his amazing beard he sported at the end of his playing days (Panini Football ‘79 - Norwich City page)

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
In 1983 I went with family. It rained heavily and our tickets were soaked when we reached the turnstiles.
The terrace steps in the upper section were huge. It felt like a 1 foot drop between each standing tier.
Scoring first was ab-so-lute-ly fan-fecking-tastic. I was close enough to Man Utd fans to wind them up whilst we were winning.
Whiteside's foul on Ramsey was dirty and a game-changer, but even when we went 1-2 down I was absolutely certain we would equalise. As for the last minute of E.T. There is nothing I can say that hasn't been said already.
Absolutely superb day and still the stand-out highlight of my Albion life (better than Hereford, Doncaster (either game) or last year's promotion). I couldn't make it to the replay (thankfully).

In 1991 I went with mates. There were no seats on the train to Victoria, so we sat on the bare wood floor floor of the caged parcel section of a carriage. Then went to pubs at Baker Street (The Globe) and Finchley Road (North Star Tavern) on the way to Wembley.
Arrived close to kick-off. Game was tense and massively disappointing. Once we were 3-0 down it was obviously gone.
First half of the day with the anticipation was great. Second half of the day was not so good.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Cup Final, mate said no need to worry its only Wilkins, he immediately shot and scored.

Replay, we were running to make the start of the game, as were a couple of Utd fans in the opposite direction, a mate and a Utd fan banged heads and virtually knocked each other out. A quick check to see if everyone was not too bad and just made kick off. During the defeat the bump on my mates head just got bigger and bigger.

Play off, I just recall getting home hours before my next door neighbour who got stuck in the Wembley car park for an hour or so after the game.

Hoping for a better experience tomorrow night

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
'83
The convoy of double decker buses leaving the greyhound stadium.
My driver thinking he knew a short cut in London ending up in a cul-de-sac.
Sitting in my seat and thinking "one nil up, remember this moment for the rest of your life"
Fish & chips in Streatham when th bus stopped and we all got out.
Post second game a Man Utd coach full of glum faces and we laughed at them.
Reality of Division Two football the following season.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
1991 - Does anyone remember a Brighton fan playing the last post on his trumpet as we all filed away dejected after the final whistle?
I’m not sure if it’s just my memory playing a trick on me! Perhaps I was just humming it to myself :albion2:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
My abiding memory of the old Wembley was actually playing on the hallowed turf, using the Home dressing room and walking up the steps to collect a medal from Alan Ball. As I worked for an FA sponsor we got the use of it for the day and It was an 11 a side knockout tournament. In the semi final we won in a penalty shoot out but I bottled putting my name forward to take one but wish I hadn’t as you don’t get many chances to score at Wembley. Mind you standing in the centre circle watching others making that walk to the spot was pretty hairy in itself.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
In 1983 I went with family. It rained heavily and our tickets were soaked when we reached the turnstiles.
The terrace steps in the upper section were huge. It felt like a 1 foot drop between each standing tier.
Scoring first was ab-so-lute-ly fan-fecking-tastic. I was close enough to Man Utd fans to wind them up whilst we were winning.
Whiteside's foul on Ramsey was dirty and a game-changer, but even when we went 1-2 down I was absolutely certain we would equalise. As for the last minute of E.T. There is nothing I can say that hasn't been said already.
Absolutely superb day and still the stand-out highlight of my Albion life (better than Hereford, Doncaster (either game) or last year's promotion). I couldn't make it to the replay (thankfully).

In 1991 I went with mates. There were no seats on the train to Victoria, so we sat on the bare wood floor floor of the caged parcel section of a carriage. Then went to pubs at Baker Street (The Globe) and Finchley Road (North Star Tavern) on the way to Wembley.
Arrived close to kick-off. Game was tense and massively disappointing. Once we were 3-0 down it was obviously gone.
First half of the day with the anticipation was great. Second half of the day was not so good.

I'd forgotten the rain. I had an Albion plastic bag from somewhere - a special cup final one, which I wore on my head. After the game we came through the tunnel and I recall taking my feet of the ground and still moving at the same pace. Back in Brighton, we went to some nightclub (upstairs somewhere), and they wouldn't let me in as they had a 'No football fans' in place. I asked them how they knew I was a football fan - I was dressed in a cap, two scarfs, a shiny British Caledonian jumper, sweat bands. How on earth did they know? I took all that off, and put them in my plastic bag (turned inside out) - and they let me in! Bless.

My debit card PIN is, and always has been, related to the Cup Final.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
First visit was a midweek evening England game in February 1977 against Holland, as part of a big school party.

In front of 92,000 (floodlit matches capacity), Jan Peters scored twice in a one sided 2-0 win.

As a kid I loved the vastness of the place, the huge crowd, even dreaming about that evening from time to time.
You didn't go to Tarring High School did you they regularly sent 3 coaches to England games?
Remember the first black player for England Viv Anderson I think against Czechslovakia, both games in 83 and England v Scotland 1979 that was just mad plus others all great fun but Wembley stadium was an absolute dump.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here