Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Parents: Father Christmas Etiquette for Primary age and below

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't have kids but I like to think that, when I do, I'll not go overboard. That's what Grandparents are for isn't it?

Does anyone do this four gift idea thing? Something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read.

Inadvertently yes. I've got 3, and each Santa stocking will have a book or 2 each, something to wear each, something they wanted and something they need (socks mainly...), plus one or two surprises.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Saint Nicolas or Santa Klaus (Claus) was a bishop in red robes (cardinal) from 270AD.

Yes, I'm well aware of the person and the dates. My point is that you're wrong in saying that 'Father Christmas' is simply just a modern English translation of Santa Claus. It''s more complex than that, they have two separate evolutionary paths, even though today, in the modern mix of Christian, Pagan and Commercial traditions the two characters are now used interchangeably.

BTW this article propounds that the notion that the person (but not obviously the name) of 'Father Christmas' could in fact actually predate the legend of St Nick: http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/york/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8394000/8394067.stm

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, I'm well aware of the person and the dates. My point is that you're wrong in saying that 'Father Christmas' is simply just a modern English translation of Santa Claus. It''s more complex than that, they have two separate evolutionary paths, even though today, in the modern mix of Christian, Pagan and Commercial traditions the two characters are now used interchangeably.

BTW this article propounds that the notion that the person (but not obviously the name) of 'Father Christmas' could in fact actually predate the legend of St Nick: http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/york/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8394000/8394067.stm

My point was that St Nicolas wasn't a legend but a real person. Born 15 March 270 AD, Patara, Lycia, Turkey, died 6 December 343 AD, Myra, Turkey. Importantly, he was at the Council of Nicaea, which was crucial in church history.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Shove the brats up the chimney on Christmas Eve, tell them they are going on a Santa hunt, then eat all the mince pies and drink all the brandy.

Love it .

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My point was that St Nicolas wasn't a legend but a real person. Born 15 March 270 AD, Patara, Lycia, Turkey, died 6 December 343 AD, Myra, Turkey. Importantly, he was at the Council of Nicaea, which was crucial in church history.

Yes, and my point is that Father Christmas is not just a 'modern translation'. Shall we leave it there? I'm sure we've both got better things to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here