Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] First ever Albion promotion winning team 1957/58

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I can remember that promotion in the late 50's . I was too young to be a fan, Dad did not go , and no tv football or net of course. It was a big local event though . Does my memory deceive or were there Albion pics and commemorative signs along Brighton seafront?

When I started attending games Frankie Howard was groundsman and Glen Wilson was with the club staff. Loyal servants...

Sorry but I can't remember that.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Here is the squad picture of the team in Birdmans Programme.

BHA.jpg

The young lad sitting on the grass Peter Medhurst still lives in Brighton and runs a plumbing bussines.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Hold up, we didn't win promotion for the first 56 years of our history?! :ohmy:

Not to my knowledge in the Football League, no

It was very hard to win promotion in the old Third Div South as only one team ever got promoted per season and we won the last ever Third Div south trophy. The following season the Fourth Division was started.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
You could argue that when we became members of the Football League in 1920 we were 'promoted' from The Southern League
Yes I suppose you could, but a number of teams were all invited to join and make up the third North and South when the Football League formed the two divisions in 1921.

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
The promotion from Div. 3 South in 1958 was similar to last season in that Albion had come so close in 1954 and 1956 before finally making it to Div 2. The success was met with huge enthusiasm and home crowds for the following season were huge. There was less of a gap between divisions 1 and 2 in those days as the maximum wage still applied to all clubs.

The 1965 promotion team was, I think, the last Albion team to score over 100 league goals in a season.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Happy days .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here