Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Snow v Schools.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Did you read my post? ??? I state quite clearly that the scenario actually happened at my school on Friday. The questions were in response to the person I was replying to who used hypothetical questions in their post to belittle the situation schools may be finding themselves in.

Also, we both know accidents are more likely to occur in adverse weather conditions.

Where are your own red lines, frost, gales, fog, heavy rain and why do you choose not to see a similar risk during these conditions, I accept that heavy snow is different, but it seems in some circumstances this wasnt the case.

Personally during snowy weather the schools are never quite sure whether to stick or bust, everyone likes a snow day so make an early decision rather than have half staff and half pupil attendance with its inevitable consequences.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Where are your own red lines, frost, gales, fog, heavy rain and why do you choose not to see a similar risk during these conditions, I accept that heavy snow is different, but it seems in some circumstances this wasnt the case.

Personally during snowy weather the schools are never quite sure whether to stick or bust, everyone likes a snow day so make an early decision rather than have half staff and half pupil attendance with its inevitable consequences.

Yep which is what happened to me on Friday. School decided to close at 8:50 after only a handful of staff turned up with about half our pupil intake (roughly 300). The whole thing was an utter shambles.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Interesting you cite a show primarily aimed at children as an incentive. The children have no say on whether a school is open or not.

It’s not that interesting in fairness and no, wasn’t saying that was an incentive to children. You’ve got wrong end of stick.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Did I say it’s more complicated than it used to be? ??? I said it’s more complicated than the simplified view people like you are putting forward.

Let me, someone who actually works at a school and doesn’t just use it as a glorified daycare put forward a counter view, an event that ACTUALLY happened on Friday. Names will of course be different be safeguarding.

What if little Johnny lives on an estate that after snow is icy and dangerous? What if Johnny’s school doesn’t close? What if Johnny has a little brother who Mum usually pushed in the pushchair to school? What if on the way to school Mum decides to ditch the pushchair, carries the baby but can’t keep up with an excited Johnny? What if Johnny gets to the school drive and needs to cross the road? What if Johnny crosses the road but as he does a car comes sliding down the drive backwards, out of control, unable to stop because of the conditions and a TA, who is also walking to school, rushes into the road and pulls him to safety narrowly missing the car? Now the question that scares me, what if the TA wasn’t there?

Is the safety of children and adults alike really such an inconvenience to you or do you just like moaning about things you know nothing about?

Moaning about things I know nothing about?! I am real, I have lived, in fact I have almost certainly lived a longer life than you. You live in a world of 'what if', but in a very negative sense, always looking for a risk, always worrying about something that might happen. Try living in a different world of 'what if', maybe the old Honda world of 'what if', try it, Google it, it is a world of opportunities, of possibilities, not a world of reasons not to do things.

Just in case you didn't realise it, every single person on this planet is going to die, there you go, I said it, DIE. there really are no choices, it will happen, even to you, and your kids. So life becomes a matter of risk assessment if you want to put it in the worst possible terms, but some people seem to become obsessed, and just become risk averse. It should be a toss up, risk v experience, danger v fun, living against existing.

A little snow on the ground really is no reason to stop everyday life.

Oh, and as for 'actually worked in schools', so kin what? I went to one many years before TA's were even invented, teachers got battered with snowballs, and even got bullied after slipping on the ice! But never mind, little Johnny might slip over,:facepalm:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Moaning about things I know nothing about?! I am real, I have lived, in fact I have almost certainly lived a longer life than you. You live in a world of 'what if', but in a very negative sense, always looking for a risk, always worrying about something that might happen. Try living in a different world of 'what if', maybe the old Honda world of 'what if', try it, Google it, it is a world of opportunities, of possibilities, not a world of reasons not to do things.

Just in case you didn't realise it, every single person on this planet is going to die, there you go, I said it, DIE. there really are no choices, it will happen, even to you, and your kids. So life becomes a matter of risk assessment if you want to put it in the worst possible terms, but some people seem to become obsessed, and just become risk averse. It should be a toss up, risk v experience, danger v fun, living against existing.

A little snow on the ground really is no reason to stop everyday life.

Oh, and as for 'actually worked in schools', so kin what? I went to one many years before TA's were even invented, teachers got battered with snowballs, and even got bullied after slipping on the ice! But never mind, little Johnny might slip over,:facepalm:

‘Little Johnny’ almost got hit by a car you patronising imbecile. That’s not a hypothetical. That incident I described in my previous post happened at my school on Friday. Good job on your total lack of empathy when a five year old was inches away from getting hit with a car. But who cares eh? The good old days etc etc.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
All the schools in Powys have been closed on Monday and today, it’s been brilliant.

:)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Strange, all the vitriol directed at the schools. A few months back parents were moaning they could not take their children out of school for holidays they said would be " Educational " ie cheap....

Well those parents have their wish now, maybe they should take little Johnny sledging and skating themselves, if he breaks a leg, it's on their watch... Or is it just that they are regarding schools as cheap child care?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I dislocated my thumb at primary school sliding in the playground which was one big ice rink. Is it too late to sue now ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here