Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Snow v Schools.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
This. If any parent, kid, teacher or anyone who enters the school premises slips and hurts themselves, they'll have their arses sued off them.

Get rid of the compensation culture and we can all go back to living normal lives.

Great big long icy slide the length of the playground every winter, everyone falling arse over tit, chucking snowballs around and then out playing Rugby, now they shut the school because it's a bit snowy.
Embarrassing nonsense, but time to shut down the ambulance chasing compo companies.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is there any truth in this though? Kids must come home with bumps and scrapes all the time and the school doesn't get sued.

More likely that the teachers can't get to work due to shit public transport.

Plenty of examples of people getting compo for slipping on ice - schools are treated as workplaces so, in theory, people could claim compensation

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
When schools shut like today they should be forced to count today as their inset day.
Parents having to book a days holiday to cover today can get it back by not having to cover next inset day.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm no expert and i hate all the bloody parties but i thought this was Blair's government that bought it in,

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/01/30/world/british-lawyers-jolted-by-thatcher-plan.html

Two proposals have stirred the most debate: the effective abolition of the traditional division of duties between solicitors and barristers, and permission for payment of lawyers through limited contingency-fee arrangements, a step toward an American-style system that one former Lord Chancellor called immoral.

EDIT: I was referring to the 'no-win, no-fee' approach but if you're referring to Health and Safety At Work Act - that was passed by Wilson's government in 1974. But it started being used more widely once Thatcher shook up the legal profession

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Our local schools did not close when it snowed a couple of weeks ago. Health and Safety = Red Herring. But then we're 'ard oop north.

weather.png

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Not long since this was published with parents being encouraged to 'get a grip',....

https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/educa...od-reasons-for-missing-school-there-are-none/

Can only remember school being closed when I went because they couldn't heat the premises as the asthmatic, antediluvian boiler had packed up. Nowadays, a few flakes and the country shuts up shop.

Unusually, I do have some sympathy for our Municipal Mussolini's where weather is concerned. A lad slips over and hurts his head and they get their backsides chased through the court to see if a risk assessment for every eventuality had been filed. Stock up on winter stuff and if it doesn't get used, they get challenged on use of scant resource.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn’t happen in Germany

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
When schools shut like today they should be forced to count today as their inset day.
Parents having to book a days holiday to cover today can get it back by not having to cover next inset day.

No, no they shouldn’t.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

Inset days are for staff training and professional development. A snow day doesn't count as either of those so can't really be called an Inset day. Irrelevant as students get 190 days at school per year and inset are counted separately. I suppose you could make up the days in holidays but I don't see why teachers should be expected to use their holiday allowance for that - lots of people work from home etc when the weather is bad, not sure they'd be delighted if they were told this would be taken off their holiday allowance. In any case o can't imagine many parents either being delighted when told they'd wasted money onsummer holidays because the school had to open an extra day or two.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
This. If any parent, kid, teacher or anyone who enters the school premises slips and hurts themselves, they'll have their arses sued off them.

Get rid of the compensation culture and we can all go back to living normal lives.

Exactly this: health and safety is the flip side of compensation culture. Get rid of the ability to do frivolous law suits and less health & safety needed.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Inset days are for staff training and professional development.

Yep, believe that one if you want.......
No teacher ever in my child's school on inset day.....
And was it just a coincidence that his school had an inset day on "Black Friday".....

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Yep, believe that one if you want.......
No teacher ever in my child's school on inset day.....
And was it just a coincidence that his school had an inset day on "Black Friday".....

On my last inset day I had training in a new handwriting scheme and training on autism. But you know, claim us teachers love a good day off if it makes you feel better. Won’t stop you from being wrong though :thumbsup:

Edit: oh, I also did asthma, EpiPen and fire extinguisher training which, of course, I ignored because I was too busy checking deals on amazon.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I can remember having to walk over the Racehill from Woodingdean to catch a bus to Westlain School as Woodingdean was cut off.
Got to school and was sent home!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I think a better idea would be for everyday that the school is closed due to weather the lost day(s) are added on at the end of the term so that no actual school days are lost. There is these days a big thing made of how bad it is to take children out of school during term time as their education suffers, therefore there must be a need to reinstate any lost days due to weather.

I think the only time I was sent home from school due to snow was the winter of 1967 other than that snowballs, snowmen, ice slides great fun

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I think a better idea would be for everyday that the school is closed due to weather the lost day(s) are added on at the end of the term so that no actual school days are lost. There is these days a big thing made of how bad it is to take children out of school during term time as their education suffers, therefore there must be a need to reinstate any lost days due to weather.

What a great idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here