Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Snow v Schools.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Few cm of wet snow in the Thames Valley and they shut, all main roads clear pathetic in the extreme. The irony of it all is tomorrow will be far worse as there will be loads of ice and they all plan to open, idiots...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We used to have an inter-class snowman competition when this happened, and that was only in the 90s...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Few cm of wet snow in the Thames Valley and they shut, all main roads clear pathetic in the extreme. The irony of it all is tomorrow will be far worse as there will be loads of ice and they all plan to open, idiots...

It is gonna be fun driving sorry I mean sliding down Elm Grove Tuesday morning..... stick to the coast road to work I think, thank goodness for the salty winds.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Different mentality. We go into meltdown at the smallest bit of weather. I spent most of my young adult life in the Alps, never had a day off for snow, never was allowed to use the excuse not to get into work.

You don't turn up and You don't get paid. Simple and Sorted.

Was saying to the Wife this morning that in all my school days I can not recall a single time they were closed due to snow.

Nobody died either surprisingly, although once during a mass inter year snowball fight I managed to hit the School "hard-nut" straight on the side of his face, luckily the distance was enough that he couldn't possibly tell who had launched it.

that would probably have ended in a death.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
This. If any parent, kid, teacher or anyone who enters the school premises slips and hurts themselves, they'll have their arses sued off them.

Get rid of the compensation culture and we can all go back to living normal lives.

Excellent post.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Stoopid Elf & Safety, just how do Scandinavian schools cope then ?

We’ve got winter wheels for our cars that we have to change to by the end of October. Snow ploughs are out in force from about 5am and we have strict rules about scraping your car in the morning. It all goes rather smoothly which is regrettable because I’d rather be out sledging than teaching or trying to convince children not to throw snowballs as it’s against school rules(boooooo).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Different mentality. We go into meltdown at the smallest bit of weather. I spent most of my young adult life in the Alps, never had a day off for snow, never was allowed to use the excuse not to get into work.

Yes, the mentality is different in the UK but it's not that surprising. Given how little snow there is, it's just not worth spending the money on expensive snow clearing equipment. People aren't going to shell out for things like winter tyres either. Also, it's not cold enough. The snow melts during the day and freezes overnight, so you end up with ice everywhere.

SAC

May 21, 2014
This. If any parent, kid, teacher or anyone who enters the school premises slips and hurts themselves, they'll have their arses sued off them.

Get rid of the compensation culture and we can all go back to living normal lives.

Is there any truth in this though? Kids must come home with bumps and scrapes all the time and the school doesn't get sued.

More likely that the teachers can't get to work due to shit public transport.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Ah, get-rich-quick lawyers, something else we can thank Thatcher for

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The school i used to work at closed earlier today, it's a semi-rural location and relies heavily on trains and buses for student transport. They weren't having any snow fall at all, but the bus companies that are used to transport the students to and from the school decided they were going to stop running as some of the areas they serviced were getting a dusting. Never once happened in all the years I worked there though, poxy snow.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Ever think that it also has a lot to do with the fact that, living in a mountain region renound for snow, that the people and local government there are better prepared for snow than in this country ???

As a teacher in Birmingham we had about seven members of staff make it to work on Friday in a three form entry school. Other members of staff couldn’t make it in safely due to accidents and poor road conditions. About half the kids turned up (around 300 or so) and the others didn’t. The 300 that did were sent home in drips and drabs by midday because there weren’t enough staff to keep them safe (safeguarding ratios require there to be 1:3 for ks1 and 1:6 in ks2). It’s a lot more complicated than ‘oh staff can’t be bothered to go in’ and ‘health and safety gone mad, in my day we walked to and from school in 10 metres of snow, up-hill both ways’ etc.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Is there any truth in this though?

Yes it’s true. If staff or children and carers hurt themselves due to adverse weather conditions on school property the school is liable.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here