Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Keith chegwin RIP

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I believe Johnny Hallyday did some of his best work in collaboration with Kenny. If I manage to track down the footage, I'll send you a link.

PLEAZE don't! I prefer to remember JH blowing perfect smoke rings with French sophistication, while the gorgeous JH fails and giggles like a naughty boy

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Cheggers Plays Pop was the highlight of children's tv when I was a kid. EVERYONE loved it and wanted a go on that bouncy castle.

Seemed a genuinely nice bloke despite his problems. A real shame. RIP.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Another one from my youth gone. Just seeing him laugh made me happier. He seemed like such a lovely genuine guy, can't imagine that's common in the entertainment business.

RIP mate

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A few of the obituaries mention that he was in the band Kenny and had a hit with The Bump. I'm sure this is misinformation that keeps getting regurgitated. Although not claiming to be an authority on Kenny, if such a thing exists, I'm pretty certain he was never in the band Kenny so I'm not sure where this information has emerged. I realise you can't libel the dead but it's unfair to tarnish his reputation with this reprehensible smear campaign. If there are any authorities on Kenny amongst NSC I am prepared to stand to be corrected.

OT - I do believe you are correct. Weirdly I know a little bit about them as years ago a friend's girlfriend worked for the producer Micky Most's RAK organisation and she was involved with them. Originally the 'Kenny' in question was an Irish singer (it was his surname, can't remember his first name, might have been Peter) and he'd recorded a song that Most produced. He then disappeared, the song was released as 'Kenny' (can't remember the title) and it became a hit. Rather than get Mr Kenny back Most found a unknown part-time London band called Chuft who practised in a banana warehouse (it's strange how I remember the minor details). Knowing that they'd be grateful for a chance of fame and thinking he could easily manipulate them he signed them up and called them 'Kenny'. They then had the hits such as The Bump and Fancy Pants, all on the back of the first Kenny hit.

Anyway, the original Mr Kenny then re-appeared and sued everybody . Chuft were also upset as they wanted to do their own songs (not the pop crap the Most was making them do) and also they wanted to play on the songs, as Most was getting old seasoned session musicians to play the parts in the studio and Chuft just mimed on TOTP etc - so they sued as well. I don't know who won all the legal shenannigans, it could still be going on now for all I know. Anyway at no time was Cheggers involved at all,not even mentioned retrospectively. I'm not sure where the rumour came from that he'd been a member.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
OT - I do believe you are correct. Weirdly I know a little bit about them as years ago a friend's girlfriend worked for the producer Micky Most's RAK organisation and she was involved with them. Originally the 'Kenny' in question was an Irish singer (it was his surname, can't remember his first name, might have been Peter) and he'd recorded a song that Most produced. He then disappeared, the song was released as 'Kenny' (can't remember the title) and it became a hit. Rather than get Mr Kenny back Most found a unknown part-time London band called Chuft who practised in a banana warehouse (it's strange how I remember the minor details). Knowing that they'd be grateful for a chance of fame and thinking he could easily manipulate them he signed them up and called them 'Kenny'. They then had the hits such as The Bump and Fancy Pants, all on the back of the first Kenny hit.

Anyway, the original Mr Kenny then re-appeared and sued everybody . Chuft were also upset as they wanted to do their own songs (not the pop crap the Most was making them do) and also they wanted to play on the songs, as Most was getting old seasoned session musicians to play the parts in the studio and Chuft just mimed on TOTP etc - so they sued as well. I don't know who won all the legal shenannigans, it could still be going on now for all I know. Anyway at no time was Cheggers involved at all,not even mentioned retrospectively. I'm not sure where the rumour came from that he'd been a member.

I have a feeling @marlowe will appreciate your attention to detail here :laugh:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have a feeling @marlowe will appreciate your attention to detail here :laugh:

OT - Since writing that I did a bit of googling and there is a small Wikipedia entry about them. The original singer's name was Tony Kenny apparently, not Peter. The original Kenny hit (that he sang on) was called 'Heart of Stone' and the unknowns who became Kenny are referred to as Chuff not Chuft. No mention of the court cases etc. I do notice though that the band eventually got their own way with regard to material as two of the later songs were written by band members.

Still no mention of Cheggers though.

Edit: And no mention of the banana warehouse either

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here