Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Fruit Picking Australia

Tomo1794

Apr 7, 2009
Leighton Buzzard
Hi guys,

Off to Australia soon to catch the Boxing Day Ashes test match, hope there's still something to play for by then. Anyway looking to hit the farms to secure the second year visa straight away.

Just wondering if/where people have done it and how you went about securing the work in the first place? Done a lot of googling but would be good to hear of any personal experiences if possible.

Thanks,

Tom

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Don't know if you're aware but from the start of this year a 15% Backpacker Tax has now come into effect.
Casual Minimum Pay rates still compare favorably to RoW though ;

Australia (casual jobs) = A$22.13 per hour ($18.81 after 15% backpacker tax)
Australia (full-time jobs) = A$17.70 per hour ($15.05 after 15% tax)
New Zealand = A$14.01 per hour
Canada = A$10.45 per hour
USA = A$9.43 per hour

Be sure to apply for a TFN (Tax File Number) otherwise you'll be paying 47%

Further info and TFN Application link here ; https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/...s/Coming-to-Australia/Working-holiday-makers/

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I did my time in Bundaberg (QLD).
Sh*t hole, but a great laugh.

Workers & Divers Hostel
They (at least used to) only provide hourly pay (decent), as opposed to 'pay by the bucket' (trash).

Fun times.

Usual drill is to phone the hostels up beforehand, ask if there's room at the inn, then you're on a waiting list which could be 1-14 days till you get a place on a farm.

I've also got recommendations for the North West & South West if WA is more your scene.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I did my time in Bundaberg (QLD).
Sh*t hole, but a great laugh.

Workers & Divers Hostel
They (at least used to) only provide hourly pay (decent), as opposed to 'pay by the bucket' (trash).

Fun times.

Usual drill is to phone the hostels up beforehand, ask if there's room at the inn, then you're on a waiting list which could be 1-14 days till you get a place on a farm.

I've also got recommendations for the North West & South West if WA is more your scene.

I worked in Childers a couple of years before the terrible fire at the Backpackers there.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Hi guys,

Off to Australia soon to catch the Boxing Day Ashes test match, hope there's still something to play for by then. Anyway looking to hit the farms to secure the second year visa straight away.

Just wondering if/where people have done it and how you went about securing the work in the first place? Done a lot of googling but would be good to hear of any personal experiences if possible.

Thanks,

Tom

Tried to post earlier but got the database error issue.

Take a look at https://www.pomsinoz.com/. Very helpful site. Well it was for me anyway.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
I did some orange picking and vine pruning.

I recommend the vine pruning more. Easier work, better pay and we had a 50L of white and a 50L of red in two huge tubs in our accomodation.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Katherine picking Mangoes 1995, 40c heat, heavy gloves. $11 an hour which was good money back then. Terrible work though, terrible rashes

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here