Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Izquierdo needy? Why?

Brugesboy

Aug 17, 2017
I've watched a lot of brighton games now this season, especially for jose. But he doesn't seem to play like when he was with us.

First of all he was never a troublemaker at our time. Always smiling and having fun on the pitch. He seems to have lost this at the moment when he is on. I think it may be due to the constant change of starting winger and I myself don't get it neither. they were on a good streak and then he was on the bench again suddenly, could be his fitness though.

Besides that I fear he isn't being used to his potential as he rarely is being found on his runs and seems to get the ball in difficult positions, also needs to defend a lot and that wasn't the case with us in a 4-3-3 where he was a constant threat for the opposing defence with his pace and shot. Our playmaker knew this and used him almost every attack when he was on, not always succeeding ofc ourse.

Anyway hope he'll find his form and help brighton, he wasn't needy but did love the attention as our star player at the time.

Love to hear your guys opinions on what could be the problem if there even is one.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I've watched a lot of brighton games now this season, especially for jose. But he doesn't seem to play like when he was with us. First of all he was never a troublemaker at our time. Always smiling and having fun on the pitch. He seems to have lost this at the moment when he is on. I think it may be due to the constant change of starting winger and I myself don't get it neither. they were on a good streak and then he was on the bench again suddenly, could be his fitness though. Besides that I fear he isn't being used to his potential as he rarely is being found on his runs and seems to get the ball in difficult positions, also needs to defend a lot and that wasn't the case with us in a 4-3-3 where he was a constant threat for the opposing defence with his pace and shot. Our playmaker knew this and used him almost every attack when he was on, not always succeeding ofcourse. Anyway hope he'll find his form and help brighton, he wasn't needy but did love the attention as our star player at the time. Love to hear your guys opinions on what could be the problem if there even is one.

Our players just need to get used to him I think. I have not seen him play in Belgium but we dont give him the ball back quickly enough for him. He seems to want to play a quick 1-2 and makes inteligent runs for this but he rarely gets it back in time and the chance is gone. In our league you also have to defend as well that is not something you can get away with.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Troll post, for certain.

Ta ra!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I've watched a lot of brighton games now this season, especially for jose. But he doesn't seem to play like when he was with us.

First of all he was never a troublemaker at our time. Always smiling and having fun on the pitch. He seems to have lost this at the moment when he is on. I think it may be due to the constant change of starting winger and I myself don't get it neither. they were on a good streak and then he was on the bench again suddenly, could be his fitness though.

Besides that I fear he isn't being used to his potential as he rarely is being found on his runs and seems to get the ball in difficult positions, also needs to defend a lot and that wasn't the case with us in a 4-3-3 where he was a constant threat for the opposing defence with his pace and shot. Our playmaker knew this and used him almost every attack when he was on, not always succeeding ofc ourse.

Anyway hope he'll find his form and help brighton, he wasn't needy but did love the attention as our star player at the time.

Love to hear your guys opinions on what could be the problem if there even is one.

Did he always play wide right for you. As far as defending is concerned in this league aall wide players have to do a lot of defending. Only thing that disappoints me so far with Jose is that he is rather predictable in that he very rarely goes on outside and get cross in

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Adjusting to being a small fish in a big pond

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not our sort of player and a knee jerk buy to appease the fans ( he is not a defender)

You can have him back.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not our sort of player and a knee jerk buy to appease the fans ( he is not a defender)

You can have him back.

Nonsense.

Cracking player, exactly what we need to turn defence into attack, and make teams worry about us on the break. He doesn't look happy for some reason, and maybe he is used to things revolving around him a bit more, but if we can get him firing he could be absolutely CRUCIAL to our survival.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

You can have him back.

Rubbish. He does his share, and has been part of some of our more adventurous forward play.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

No disrespect but this is the premier league and we are up against it in every game we play . He was probably the main man at your club surrounded by players better than a lot of the opposition .

Hard to compare.

That aside , he's doing ok , scored a couple and made a couple . Long way to go

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Under this Manager he will be asked to work hard constantly and defend as well as attack. Maybe he was given a free reign to just go out and express himself in what would have been one of the top teams in a lesser league. He has made a step up and is now being paid the ''big bucks'' and with that comes an expectancy to develop other areas of his game rather than a Prima Donna winger.

I love watching players like him but they also infuriate me in equal measures if they don't have the work ethic of their team mates. He is obviously a great player but if he wants to stay at this level he will need the work ethic too.

And finally, he came with no close season game time behind him because in Belgium the they knew he was leaving so didn't get too much playing time before he left so he didn't arrive fully match fit.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I actually like him and think in time he will score plenty , you have to remember we are basically set up not to concede so he will have had to change his style of play completely i would of thought , he is obviously on a tight leash under CH and he is adapting to his defensive duties with every match , not forgetting he doesn't start every game so it will take time , not one for the bin just yet , at least when he is on the pitch he does at least try to defend .

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I actually like him and think in time he will score plenty , you have to remember we are basically set up not to concede so he will have had to change his style of play completely i would of thought , he is obviously on a tight leash under CH and he is adapting to his defensive duties with every match , not forgetting he doesn't start every game so it will take time , not one for the bin just yet , at least when he is on the pitch he does at least try to defend .

He's the only player in our whole squad with genuine pace, March and Knocky very rarely get past anyone with pace but Jose can and does

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I love him
Does seem a bit predictable coming inside all the time and defenders are working him out.
Just needs to vary his movements and he’ll be a real star

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I think we are a better side with him on the pitch. Pace worries teams and he has very good movement. Needs to be less predictable and go outside the man on occasions to keep the defender guessing. Scores goals and to be fair is the 1 player who is constantly getting in position to shoot.
I can see why he would suit a 4-3-3 system more or even a 3-4-3 with less defensive duties but unfortunately the PL is a scrap for all the teams this year from 9th to 20th

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Some strange comments in this thread, given what he's shown so far which has been very, very little. He played well against West Ham but he was terrible against Stoke, despite them playing a striker at right wing back who had zero interest in defending. Jose showed a total lack of quality in the first half when he had chance after chance to run at their exposed defence, but he wasn't good enough to really hurt them. His goal in the second half was a cracking finish though.

So far he's shown flashes and we know there's a player there, but he can't complain about being out of the team because he's not really settled yet. It's early days though, he strikes me as being a bit Spanish Dave - it's not clicked yet. When it does, he'll be away - but for now we need to be patient with him and let him settle in, there's a player in there for sure, we just need to coax it out of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here