Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Olivier Giroud

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Can't believe there are people on here who think Olivier Giroud and Glenn Murray are of similar ability.

Comical. Oh, and no chance he would come here. None.

Incredible isn't it. Giroud starts the vast majority of French national team games, regularly keeping out Lacazette, and some are debating whether he's an upgrade on Murray or Ulloa?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A big yes from me but I can’t see him coming here. Ridiculous comments on this thread re Ulloa, Hemed and Murray, as there is no way they would make the Arsenal squad and never would have even at their peaks.. Giroud would be MASSIVE upgrade on what we have.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
H e apparently wants to go out on loan to ensure he stays in the France squad. Obviously we wouldnt pay all of his wages but would Palace pay just the usual 10p in the £ and I am sure that we could better that. I would think given the choice West Ham would be a strong possibility.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't believe there are people on here who think Olivier Giroud and Glenn Murray are of similar ability.

Incredible isn't it. Giroud starts the vast majority of French national team games, regularly keeping out Lacazette, and some are debating whether he's an upgrade on Murray or Ulloa?

Sorry about that, I was meaning similar in general style of play, everything else was :fishing:4fun.

Better Baldock is what's needed, not a third target man.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Sorry about that, I was meaning similar in general style of play, everything else was :fishing:4fun.

Better Baldock is what's needed, not a third target man.

Surely we need better players in every position? If a better player becomes available and a deal is feasible, shouldn't we be in for them? Giroud is a massive upgrade on what we currently have as a target man.

Target man and no10 don't need to be mutually exclusive, let's get both. Then we'll have the strength in depth needed to survive.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think his wheels have gone, he never does 90 minutes for Arsenal. Obviously a good player but, only for 30-45 mins it seems.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surely we need better players in every position? If a better player becomes available and a deal is feasible, shouldn't we be in for them? Giroud is a massive upgrade on what we currently have as a target man.

Target man and no10 don't need to be mutually exclusive, let's get both. Then we'll have the strength in depth needed to survive.

Yep but they can't all arrive at once.
A loanee target man seems a bit pointless, when the squad already has 2, and yet seemingly no nos10.

Has anything happened over the last few windows that has lead you be believe the club is capable of signing 2 strikers?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just checked the stats on Fantasy Premier League, Giroud has played a total of 253 minutes this season, he managed a whole 45 minutes in the 5-0 pasting of' Udders. I think he has only played the number of minutes he has because its probably the minimum needed to qualify for his pension plan.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Headline: BRIGHTON LOOKING TO SING RONALDO

NSC: He's a bit old,

he's past it

his hair is too greasy

I saw him miss a sitter 2 years ago against Betis

No thanks

Its a no from me

He's too similar to Knockaert and Izquierdo.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He's a bit of a left footed Murray, really. In fact, Murray would score as many in the Arsenal team...well maybe not but he is a bit 'samey'

Glenn could do with a bit of a rest perhaps. Having said that, I really don't like loan players, they very rarely seem to have the same committment.

Just look at Issy Brown. If he returned to Chelsea I wouldn't be at all disappointed.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Good player. Not coming and too similar to what we have. We need pace...

Two things:

1. Yes we need pace, but that doesn't stop us improving other areas of our squad and Giroud is a VAST improvement;
2. Yes he is similar, but, as to point 1, he's a VAST improvement.

I do agree with your other point though, he is not coming to Brighton unless it's for a day-out.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is that not what we need a younger upgrade on Murray and Hemed.?

What!!! Are you seriously saying that we do not need Giroud? A current French international striker who has played at the highest level for a few years?

Are we seriously that arrogant now that we thing we are that good?

Blimey mate...

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Two things:

1. Yes we need pace, but that doesn't stop us improving other areas of our squad and Giroud is a VAST improvement;
2. Yes he is similar, but, as to point 1, he's a VAST improvement.

I do agree with your other point though, he is not coming to Brighton unless it's for a day-out.

What's he on? £80k? Won't happen and probably shouldn't either. We need reinforcements that change our transition to attack and Giroud although a better player won't do that. We really need pace and power IMO. At the moment we are far too easy to press as we counter so slowly. A threat in behind would give our midfield and wingers some space in which to work IMO

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
This is hilarious. It's pretty common knowledge he turned down SERIOUS money at Everton in the summer to fight for his place at Arsenal/stay in London. He is a mainstay in the France team and those itk seem to think he is an undroppable part of Didier Deschamps plans.

Pretty sure that the story comes from here... http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12025/11156112/olivier-giroud-warned-he-needs-to-play-more-games-to-boost-world-cup-hopes but I would be genuinely shocked if he moved to a team outside of the European competitions. He is as good a target man as they come and well out of our price-range/reach.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Absolutely this.

I've always avoided the temptation to put BG on ignore but this NONSENSE may well change that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here