Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] How do you generally cook your curry..from scratch, curry paste or sauce?

How do you generally cook your curry, from scratch, paste or sauce

• From scratch using individual spices

Votes: 52 59.8%
  • Curry paste

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Curry sauce in jar

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • Curry sauce in sachet

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
All of the above. Protip: When cooking from scratch using individual spices, use at least twice the amount of onions as your recipe suggests.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A South Indian Rasam made with home grown tomatoes is simple to make and a great late breakfast with uttapam made from rice and Urud Dahl ground in the blender, soaked and left to ferment for 6 hours.

Simple but impressive. May give Dosas a try next week.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I peel the cardboard tops off the foil containers. I do it myself, my wife doesn't do it or anything. So I voted 'From scratch'. Not sure there is any other way tbh.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Always from scratch - dry frying whole spices and then grinding them. Served with my home made lemon, mustard seed & chilli pickle, better than any lime pickle I've ever tasted.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Don't do it as often as I would like, but from scratch.
I had a good teachers, mum was born in India and gran was Indian.
Blinky bloody blinky (said whilst wobbling head from side to side).

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
My missus taught me. She was from Durban in SA where large Indian community.
Onions, ginger/garlic paste, cumin, turmeric, ground coriander, red chilli. Rajah Curry powder. Braising steak (too offend all Indians with beef), cook down, and add tomatoes and salt.

Found the curry powder my missus used in South African food shop in Boundary Road Portslade last time I was home. Very good curry powder. Rajah. I definately recommend.

Attachments

• 51HTS3Sb8PL (1).jpg
    51HTS3Sb8PL (1).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Onions, ginger/garlic paste, cumin, turmeric, ground coriander, cumin, red chilli. Rajah Curry powder. Braising steak (too offend all Indians with beef), cook down, and add tomatoes and salt.

Found some in a South African food shop in Boundary Road Portslade last time I was home. Very good curry powder. Rajah. I definately recommend.

Funny, I really am not a fan of Durban curries, English Midland/Northwest styles like balti dishes I find much more flavorsome. They do have beef in Durban curries though mostly mutton then fish. Its pork they cant have

Chatsworth and Phoenix suburbs of Durban have I think the largest indian population outside of India

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Onions, ginger/garlic paste, cumin, turmeric, ground coriander, red chilli. Rajah Curry powder. Braising steak (too offend all Indians with beef), cook down, and add tomatoes and salt.

Found the curry powder my missus used in South African food shop in Boundary Road Portslade last time I was home. Very good curry powder. Rajah. I definately recommend.

You should make a bunny chow exclusive I think to SA pretty much, best way to eat a curry on the move, 1/4 or 1/2 a loaf, take most of the bread out, fill the loaf with curry then put the bread on top. Eat with your hands very nice

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/bunny-chow-and-its-durban-curry-220077

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
You should make a bunny chow exclusive I think to SA pretty much, best way to eat a curry on the move, 1/4 or 1/2 a loaf, take most of the bread out, fill the loaf with curry then put the bread on top. Eat with your hands very nice

I was about to mention it! haha Missus did a butterbean one.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I was about to mention it! haha Missus did a butterbean one.

:thumbsup:'

Pretty much the only way I eat curry in SA, not the hugest fan of rice and the soft bread and crusty wall calms down some of the chillies which is put copiously in all Indian food there. And you can pick them up eaily for 20-30 ZAR, a quid fifty or so.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Always from scratch. Get the basic spices in. Madhur Jaffrey, Rick Stein, Hairy Bikers and Jamie Oliver. We make at least 2 a week in our house.

I fly to India once a week and buy my spices direct from the farmer.

Don't bother with UK based recipes.

Not really! Use curry power and some other shop bought spices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here