Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “The fight has gone out of Brighton”

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Really? So you're of the mindset to get a point and anything less isn't all that bad? What about going for three and only getting one? Wouldn't that be a better starting place?

So you think we should go to Man City and get at them and go for 3 points? There are very few teams that you can do that to in this league and Huddersfield aren’t one of them. It’s important that we stay ahead of other teams so we can avoid promotion. If that means going to their place for a draw then that makes perfect sense to me. There is nothing wrong with going for a draw with a view to snatching all 3 points from a set piece or breakaway. You may call it negative tactics but I call it good game management

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So you think we should go to Man City and get at them and go for 3 points? There are very few teams that you can do that to in this league and Huddersfield aren’t one of them. It’s important that we stay ahead of other teams so we can avoid promotion. If that means going to their place for a draw then that makes perfect sense to me. There is nothing wrong with going for a draw with a view to snatching all 3 points from a set piece or breakaway. You may call it negative tactics but I call it good game management

Sorry I stopped reading first sentence. How can you put Huddersfield in the same breath as Man City?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
The comments on here are crazy.

There's an online Telegraph article from November about who in the PL has covered the most distance. There's about 20 players, that includes THREE from Brighton: Stephens, Propper and Gross.

If we take Dale Stephens as an example. By that time he had covered around 115km after playing every minute of 10 games. So in 90 minutes he's running on average over 10km, bearing in mind that's not continuous and is in effect interval training as it's stop/start/sprint plus pushing his body through tackles, turning/changing direction, making passes etc. On top of that unlike when you or I run 10k he has to be mentally alert and is expected to make as few errors as possible with the decisions he makes.

Of course he's going to be tired. That is a significant amount of stress on his body and also on his ability to mentally focus.

Anyone who has ever competed at a decent level in a physically demanding sport will appreciate that training will also have a huge impact. There are loads of articles on line but it's something like this.
For one game a week:
- Two high intensity training sessions
- A couple strength and conditioning sessions
- Two low intensity training sessions (usually as active recovery)

They're not always on separate days, but usually during the season there is only one rest day per week. The point I'm making is that regardless of what they are being paid, they do put their bodies through it and that has a cumulative effect.

Which in turn is detrimental to our team performance. We don't have the best players, so we have to rely on working hard within a system, and if they're not 100% it will show in the results.

el punal

According to the MOTD commentator. Has it?

My view is that key players are knackered. We have been playing at a high tempo and you can only do that for so long without it catching up. It’s exposing the lack of strength in depth sadly.

Your post is one I alluded to earlier. We put up such a marvellous performance at Old Trafford and then a mediocre one against Palace that led me to believe that a lot of players were running out of steam. It has coincided with a concentrated run of fixtures that we are now struggling to compete in. I always felt that the worrying time for us would be December on two fronts.

Firstly, would the "reserve" players be able to step up to the level of commitment and quality required. Secondly, that certain clubs that have been languishing near the bottom of the league would at last improve - well Everton have, and West Ham got a morale boosting win against Chelsea.

Although concerned, I'm not despondent. We've banked 17 points and we're in 13th place, that's a position most of us would have been happy with at the beginning of the season come December.

On the positive side we can strengthen in January in those key positions where we are lacking. Being in the Premier League was always going to be tough and that we would have to fight for every point. Apart from the recent blip (and hopefully it is only that) we have fought for every point. Let's hope that continues to the end of the season.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
According to the MOTD commentator. Has it?

My view is that key players are knackered. We have been playing at a high tempo and you can only do that for so long without it catching up. It’s exposing the lack of strength in depth sadly.

Mmmmmmm........Burnley have used the fewest amount of different players this season and I’d suggest ability wise, their team is very similar to our and look at where they are in the table

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Your post is one I alluded to earlier. We put up such a marvellous performance at Old Trafford and then a mediocre one against Palace that led me to believe that a lot of players were running out of steam. It has coincided with a concentrated run of fixtures that we are now struggling to compete in. I always felt that the worrying time for us would be December on two fronts.

Firstly, would the "reserve" players be able to step up to the level of commitment and quality required. Secondly, that certain clubs that have been languishing near the bottom of the league would at last improve - well Everton have, and West Ham got a morale boosting win against Chelsea.

Although concerned, I'm not despondent. We've banked 17 points and we're in 13th place, that's a position most of us would have been happy with at the beginning of the season come December.

On the positive side we can strengthen in January in those key positions where we are lacking. Being in the Premier League was always going to be tough and that we would have to fight for every point. Apart from the recent blip (and hopefully it is only that) we have fought for every point. Let's hope that continues to the end of the season.

I'd like to think we would, however there are people on here that would tell us the poor little babies are tired after all that strenuous work they undertake. Kayal, Baldock, Goldson, Huners, Sidwell could all step up I believe. But they can't prove much if they are sitting with the stiffs (Sidwell aside).

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I don’t share your enthusiasm I’m afraid, the January transfer window is the Recruitment teams most important to date, I hope they’ve got the minerals!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Where are you coming from? So non of the other teams have not been playing high tempo, we are in for a big shock when they do.
They are professional footballers and will turn this bad spell around.
How you can quote that crap, I don't know.
As for the rest of you doom mongers, stop your whinging and get behind the team
We have been in worse positions than this before, and survived.

Doom mongers? I think some of us on this thread have just disagreed with the OP about tiredness, the same as you have. :facepalm:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
And I so nearly took this post seriously.

Doesn't matter how good the players are if they're not drilled mentally. They nearly sectioned Claudio when he got Tibetan Monks in at Leicester, the year they won the title. Just saying. Free your mind and your ass will follow.

:shrug:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I am not I am giving an example to illustrate my point. I’m not sure why so many people assumed it would be an easy 3 points when Man United couldn’t even win there

Ahhh, so why didn't you use Swansea as your example instead of Man City? And who exactly assumed it was an 'easy three points', please point me in their direction.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Ahhh, so why didn't you use Swansea as your example instead of Man City? And who exactly assumed it was an 'easy three points', please point me in their direction.

Lots of people on here were expecting us to go up there and win. Ok fair enough going to Swansea to win seems realistic to me and yes it happened. However Huddersfield at home have proved to be a bit better than that so in my opinion a point would have been a good result and left us above them in the table

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The comments on here are crazy.

There's an online Telegraph article from November about who in the PL has covered the most distance. There's about 20 players, that includes THREE from Brighton: Stephens, Propper and Gross.

If we take Dale Stephens as an example. By that time he had covered around 115km after playing every minute of 10 games. So in 90 minutes he's running on average over 10km, bearing in mind that's not continuous and is in effect interval training as it's stop/start/sprint plus pushing his body through tackles, turning/changing direction, making passes etc. On top of that unlike when you or I run 10k he has to be mentally alert and is expected to make as few errors as possible with the decisions he makes.

Of course he's going to be tired. That is a significant amount of stress on his body and also on his ability to mentally focus.

Anyone who has ever competed at a decent level in a physically demanding sport will appreciate that training will also have a huge impact. There are loads of articles on line but it's something like this.
For one game a week:
- Two high intensity training sessions
- A couple strength and conditioning sessions
- Two low intensity training sessions (usually as active recovery)

They're not always on separate days, but usually during the season there is only one rest day per week. The point I'm making is that regardless of what they are being paid, they do put their bodies through it and that has a cumulative effect.

Which in turn is detrimental to our team performance. We don't have the best players, so we have to rely on working hard within a system, and if they're not 100% it will show in the results.

So how come teams like Huddersfield can run around like Duracell bunnies for 96 minutes every game they play?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I would just like to say I am not aiming the 'fatigue' accusation just at Brighton players, but every pussy professional out there.

Did you read the article I posted where it was published just two days ago, regarding exercise induced asthma? 28% of elite footballers have been found to have it, due to breathing through their mouths whilst running.

I'm interested to know your qualifications as a fitness coach.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here