Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “The fight has gone out of Brighton”

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Lots of people on here were expecting us to go up there and win. Ok fair enough going to Swansea to win seems realistic to me and yes it happened. However Huddersfield at home have proved to be a bit better than that so in my opinion a point would have been a good result and left us above them in the table

I don't think you get where I'm coming from and I also think you used Man City as a stick to beat with, which quite frankly didn't work. I have always said the top six are freebies, so yes why not go to them with a positive attitude? Nothing to lose is there? For those around us, we have to have a three point mindset to start, if we have a one point mindset we may as well all go home and play tiddlywinks. It's a mindset, it says we are positive, it's psychological. If we go with the mindset of 11 behind the ball to grab a point does this have the same positive reaction? Do I need to answer that?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Did you read the article I posted where it was published just two days ago, regarding exercise induced asthma? 28% of elite footballers have been found to have it, due to breathing through their mouths whilst running.

I'm interested to know your qualifications as a fitness coach.

I played park football with asthma for over 20 years, it didn't really shock me. And why should you need to know anything about me at all? This is a classic attempt to belittle someone because they have a differing view. Please continue.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If only there were products which could aid the recovery of top athletes during competition.

No drug can make you kick a ball straight :lol:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Let's not get carried away. I was as gutted as anyone yesterday teatime but it is not the first time I have seen Albion have a winter mid season slump. We are off the boil,true but it happens in football. Whoever said the Premiership would be easy ?

Keep the faith :albion2:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I played park football with asthma for over 20 years, it didn't really shock me. And why should you need to know anything about me at all? This is a classic attempt to belittle someone because they have a differing view. Please continue.

Belittle you? I asked a question as you seemed to be insistent that you know more than the rest of us.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The comments on here are crazy.

There's an online Telegraph article from November about who in the PL has covered the most distance. There's about 20 players, that includes THREE from Brighton: Stephens, Propper and Gross.

If we take Dale Stephens as an example. By that time he had covered around 115km after playing every minute of 10 games. So in 90 minutes he's running on average over 10km, bearing in mind that's not continuous and is in effect interval training as it's stop/start/sprint plus pushing his body through tackles, turning/changing direction, making passes etc. On top of that unlike when you or I run 10k he has to be mentally alert and is expected to make as few errors as possible with the decisions he makes.

Of course he's going to be tired. That is a significant amount of stress on his body and also on his ability to mentally focus.

Anyone who has ever competed at a decent level in a physically demanding sport will appreciate that training will also have a huge impact. There are loads of articles on line but it's something like this.
For one game a week:
- Two high intensity training sessions
- A couple strength and conditioning sessions
- Two low intensity training sessions (usually as active recovery)

They're not always on separate days, but usually during the season there is only one rest day per week. The point I'm making is that regardless of what they are being paid, they do put their bodies through it and that has a cumulative effect.

Which in turn is detrimental to our team performance. We don't have the best players, so we have to rely on working hard within a system, and if they're not 100% it will show in the results.

Reading this makes me seriously worried how the players mentioned are going to cope for the rest of the season.

After the Watford match ( Aug 26) the next game was played on Sept 9.
Another break after the Newcastle game ( 24 Sept) until Oct 1.
And after the Southampton match on 29th Oct, no game until November 4th.

I know Propper played international football, but the other two mentioned had time to recover from matches.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I don't think you get where I'm coming from and I also think you used Man City as a stick to beat with, which quite frankly didn't work. I have always said the top six are freebies, so yes why not go to them with a positive attitude? Nothing to lose is there? For those around us, we have to have a three point mindset to start, if we have a one point mindset we may as well all go home and play tiddlywinks. It's a mindset, it says we are positive, it's psychological. If we go with the mindset of 11 behind the ball to grab a point does this have the same positive reaction? Do I need to answer that?
I guess we are coming at this from different angles. My opinion is that if we beat those around us at home and get a point at their place then that is a good thing. If we do that and take anything we can get from the top six then that is a sensible strategy to avoid relegation. In terms of mindset I think you are always disappointed if you draw at home to your equals as you see it more as a missed opportunity than they do

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I guess we are coming at this from different angles. My opinion is that if we beat those around us at home and get a point at their place then that is a good thing. If we do that and take anything we can get from the top six then that is a sensible strategy to avoid relegation.

Yes, and if we'd beaten Palace, Stoke, Southampton and Everton, and taken a point at B'mth and 'Udders we'd be bang on target, eh?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The team needs to be rotated more effectively IMO:
1. Kayal needs to be rotated in so that Stephens, then Propper can have a rest [it's mental focus and pressure as much as physical]. Maybe 'even' Molumby...?
2. Baldock [where is he?] needs to be rotated in so Gross can have a rest...and/or swap Propper/Gross to freshen things up.
3. Huenemaier/Goldson need to be rotated in to take the pressure off of D and D [who have been immense apart from last few games
4. Give Krul a run: Ryan has been pretty good but has played a lot and needs a break from the firing line
These rotations also mean that all the squad is ready for when injury/suspension happens [amazed it hasn't much so far]
5. Up front, time to give Hemed a run again?, AND... always play two wingers, please. We have three very good ones to choose from and rotate - lets do it. What on earth was that set-up at Huddersfield all about?
6. The back room coaches need to sharpen up and figure out with the squad how we defend set-pieces [because we have become v poor] and how we attack at set pieces [cos we are predictable and have forgotten how to score]
7. IMO all the above could be more important to us than who we may buy in January. No overseas purchase [that we can afford] is going to come swanning into the premier league and shine from Day 1 [e.g. Jose]; it takes time. We may well be better off trying to get in a couple of players who have already played in this division [no, I don't know who]... even if they are not currently in this league.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
1. Kayal needs to be rotated in so that Stephens, then Propper can have a rest [it's mental focus and pressure as much as physical]. Maybe 'even' Molumby...?
2. Baldock [where is he?] needs to be rotated in so Gross can have a rest...and/or swap Propper/Gross to freshen things up.
3. Huenemaier/Goldson need to be rotated in to take the pressure off of D and D [who have been immense apart from last few games
4. Give Krul a run: Ryan has been pretty good but has played a lot and needs a break from the firing line
These rotations also mean that all the squad is ready for when injury/suspension happens [amazed it hasn't much so far]
5. Up front, time to give Hemed a run again?, AND... always play two wingers, please. We have three very good ones to choose from and rotate - lets do it. What on earth was that set-up at Huddersfield all about?
6. The back room coaches need to sharpen up and figure out with the squad how we defend set-pieces [because we have become v poor] and how we attack at set pieces [cos we are predictable and have forgotten how to score]
7. IMO all the above could be more important to us than who we may buy in January. No overseas purchase [that we can afford] is going to come swanning into the premier league and shine from Day 1 [e.g. Jose]; it takes time. We may well be better off trying to get in a couple of players who have already played in this division [no, I don't know who]... even if they are not currently in this league.

Agree with most of this.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Excellent post. Totally agree

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
To say 'the fight has gone out of Brighton' is to ignore the fact that we have too small a squad for the Premiership.

Too small in terms of depth of quality, too small in terms of lack of pace, too small in terms of players who can retain possession, etc...

The upcoming transfer window is MASSIVE for our club, if we fail to attract and then buy some top level players this time around I think we can kiss goodbye to retaining Premier League status. It hurts me to say so but it's my honest appraisal of how we are as things stand.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Not sure I would agree with point 4 based on the reports of the games he has played for the U23s what about Maenpaa?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Not sure I would agree with point 4 based on the reports of the games he has played for the U23s what about Maenpaa?

Good point. Well, I guess Ben Roberts should advise, Krul or Maenpaa [poor guy, is he happy with the bronze medal?] ... but Ryan needs a break methinks.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This tired argument absolutely grips my shit.

I work 45-50 hours a week, spend an additional 6 hours on top of that in the car commuting, and probably another 5 hours on top of that working from home. Not to mention running a household and all of the associated work that comes with that.

I can still manage (as 3000 others did) to turn up in good voice at Huddersfield on a freezing cold Saturday afternoon in December.

These players train 2 hours a day, 5 times a week, invariably with just one 90 minute game of football at the end of it.

Earning in excess of £20,000 a week for the privilege, I don’t think it’s asking too much for them to turn up and apply a little bit of endeavour and application.

Fatigue is nothing more than a kop out to mask what was at best an abject and gutless performance yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that’s because you don’t understand it. When a professional footballer is tired, it doesn’t mean he needs to lie down and have a nap on the pitch, or can’t be bothered to run around anymore. This is top level, elite sport, where things are won and lost on the tiniest of margins. If they lose 1 or 2% of their energy, that makes a difference. Games can be won or lost on that. Would it make that much of a difference in your job? I bet it wouldn’t. It certainly wouldn’t in mine. If my performance drops 10% or so nobody is going to notice. It’s not like that for footballers.

It grips my shit when people always have to mention the money they earn. What does that have to do with anything? Do you think they’re not trying? Because that’s a different thing altogether, and nobody can forgive a lack of effort at that level. But if they are flagging a bit from a tough run of games, then what are they supposed to do? They’re trying their best, and it’s not like the players are moaning that they are tired, is it?

People saying “I used to play loads of football without much of a break and I was fine” are just ****ing laughable. Oh yeah, because that’s comparable to the intensity of the Premier League, isn’t it?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't believe Huddersfield have better players than us and it hurt me yesterday to watch us fail to even trouble them. We got away with 2-0, which many seem to be overlooking. It should have been four or five.
I do get behind the team, vociferously. I have been to 14 out of 16 games this season and clapped and cheered them but I reserve the right to be critical when they fall below the standard they have set for themselves. Yesterday was so far below that level that discussion and analysis is necessary to try and understand what has happened and whether we can get back on track relatively quickly.
Both sets of fans were superb and hats off to Huddersfield. The stadium was absolutely rocking. If that doesn't raise you as a home player, nothing will. Lets hope we can match that spirit in the coming weeks.

As indicated in my post, I wasn't singling you out at all, and I certainly don't think that you've over-reacted -- it wasn't enjoyable yesterday but, then again, nor was it enjoyable when we went up there last season -- but there were plenty on this thread before you that have over-reacted, and expressed some nauseating entitlement.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
According to the MOTD commentator. Has it?

My view is that key players are knackered. We have been playing at a high tempo and you can only do that for so long without it catching up. It’s exposing the lack of strength in depth sadly.

We are good, talented, technical and well organised, there seems to be for want of a better word a lack of hunger in the team, a killer instinct. Its also wobble time, most teams have them. we are not playing like every point is sacred(Like Palace are now), we are just carrying on from last season.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here