Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A fair assessment

BhafcBlues

Mar 7, 2016
Brighton
I’m fully behind Hughton but today I think the lineup he put out was a joke . When we have Glenn Murray upfront (who is only good from crosses as he can’t stay onside for a through ball) You have to play wingers. And without them he goes missing. I wanted brown to do well for us I thought he was good against Liverpool but today he walked around the pitch and looked like he couldn’t give less of a s***.

As much as I love Bruno, I hate to say it but he really is becoming a liability at the back, same for zabaleta At West Ham. Slow full backs just don’t do well in the prem, He got caught out too many times today.

Suttner was awful today,he couldn’t attack or defend and I think that’s why Bong is favoured over him as at least he has the pace to mop up his mistakes.
Gross was bypassed again and was very ineffective in the middle of the park.

I’m starting to think we’re been caught out and teams know how to beat us, I hope that things turn around quickly but looking at the fixtures I think we will be in or very close to the drop by the end of December.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
In before a swarm of people call you "plastic" or make a joke about school starting on Monday, some very reasonable points here

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
We were poor in general today. The team we put out looked like a side that would be looking for a point and maybe attacking in the final 10/15 off the bench. Works fine as long as you don’t concede basic goals from set plays.

I agree reference the wingers. I’d also say against a team like Huddersfield who press the ball has to move quickly and I would therefore of had our most technical players out there and today a lot of them gave the ball back far to easily and quickly.. Not sure what AK has done but he was missed but rumours elsewhere suggested a player was missing today for disciplinary issues and the other 2 were not fit enough to start.

I’m sure Chris will get this group firing again very soon but we do lack quality in depth and that was clear today. I fear we will struggle in the run between now and the new year with the amount of games at this much higher level

Claude samdamme

Mar 8, 2014
Defending from corners over the last few games as well as today, and Izzy browns lack of effort are the biggest worries for me . First half was woeful

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It's not just about today. One goal from the last 4 games - and that was a hugely generous penalty - tells its own story. Today we had two weak shots from distance on target in 94 minutes. That doesn't keep you in the PL.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I’m fully behind Hughton but today I think the lineup he put out was a joke . When we have Glenn Murray upfront (who is only good from crosses as he can’t stay onside for a through ball) You have to play wingers. And without them he goes missing. I wanted brown to do well for us I thought he was good against Liverpool but today he walked around the pitch and looked like he couldn’t give less of a s***.
As much as I love Bruno, I hate to say it but he really is becoming a liability at the back, same for zabaleta At West Ham. Slow full backs just don’t do well in the prem, He got caught out too many times today.
Suttner was awful today,he couldn’t attack or defend and I think that’s why Bong is favoured over him as at least he has the pace to mop up his mistakes.
Gross was bypassed again and was very ineffective in the middle of the park.
I’m starting to think we’re been caught out and teams know how to beat us, I hope that things turn around quickly but looking at the fixtures I think we will be in or very close to the drop by the end of December.

I can live with this, a fair assessment, don't agree with all of it, but I did want Suttner off in the first half after giving the ball away cheaply in his own half in two touches. I honestly have no idea where our threat will come from and January is coming much sooner than we'd hoped. If we don't make a couple of big signings we will be in trouble.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I would only disagree with one point. Brown was dog shit against Liverpool until he had a good 10 minutes in the second.

First half he was bloody awful and disinterested. Send him back

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I would only disagree with one point. Brown was dog shit against Liverpool until he had a good 10 minutes in the second.

First half he was bloody awful and disinterested. Send him back
See Browns interview after. Says we've got a game on Tuesday and how much he appreciated the Huddersfield fans. Nice.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
And to add to the miserable performance by our lot:
Huddersfield aren't that good
their cocky goalie
timewasting ball-boys
and .............bloody clackers!
Fortunately Wankner did not get in my line of sight.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Nailed it.

The fans always turn on Bong and Murray. Whilst favourites March, Knockaert and Izqiuerdo have free passes of adoration, but they really haven’t produced the goods in most of their performances have they.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
And to add to the miserable performance by our lot:
Huddersfield aren't that good
their cocky goalie
timewasting ball-boys
and .............bloody clackers!
Fortunately Wankner did not get in my line of sight.

They may not be that good but they sure sussed us out today. No time on the ball at all before they were at us, not helped by quite a few off days. We need to rotate players to give people a break but on today's performance the replacements weren't up to it, Shitlotto being the most obvious example!

And I'm no fan of clackers but in general thought the home fans made it a great atmosphere. If we'd have got a result there'd probably have been a few more compliments for them on this board!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Nailed it.

The fans always turn on Bong and Murray. Whilst favourites March, Knockaert and Izqiuerdo have free passes of adoration, but they really haven’t produced the goods in most of their performances have they.

Where was Bong? He was a standout vs Liverpool.

Murray is shocking at the minute and should have been dropped after the Palace game.

March looks short of confidence. Bruno wasn't at his best, but NONE of them were any better, and we are half the team without him. Remember Bournemouth away and the nightmare Rosenoir had in the second half? Took him off last week around 75 mins and conceded another two goals.

I tire of the Bruno criticism because it is largely inaccurate. For example, the first goal was down to Dunk, who also chased the ball on the second and entirely lost the shape, never mind Ryan's error.

We are one dimensional and I think we need to revert to 4-4-2 for the Burnley game, would like to see Baldock play for Gross.

Thoroughly p!ssed off, so going out, hopefully I'll calm down by tomorrow.......

BhafcBlues

Mar 7, 2016
Brighton
I tire of the Bruno criticism because it is largely inaccurate. For example, the first goal was down to Dunk, who also chased the ball on the second and entirely lost the shape, never mind Ryan's error.

He may not have directly been at fault for one of the goals today but let’s face it, should have been more than 2-0. He was constantly getting torn a new one due to the pace of Ince/Kachunga.

Bruno is fantastic at reading the play, and technically the best right back I have seen play for Brighton, and both of these worked wonders in the championship which is why he was very very good for us. But the raw pace of players in the premier league and this isn’t just Bruno, if you watch any West Ham game zabaleta has the same problems they just can’t cope. If Huddersfield were more clinical the amount of times they got down the left it could have been more embarrasing than it was.

The solution is a tough one, as I don’t think Rosenior has the ability to play in the prem and Bruno is such a prominent part of our team, maybe Schelotto to fill in and given a go?

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Just got back from the game and agree completely with the OP. Don't think I have ever really criticised CH before but he got his team selection and tactics completely wrong. Schelotto gave one of the worst 45 minute performances I have ever seen from an Albion player, playing out of position or not. Brown was uninterested, lazy and a waste of a shirt. We seemed completely lost at corners and we simply looked unfit. Very disappointing performance more than the result as Huddersfield didn't look very good themselves.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I agree with most of the criticism here and have added my own. However, lets get some perspective, we are 14th and three off 20 pts, would we have taken that on Dec 09?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Where was Bong? He was a standout vs Liverpool.

Murray is shocking at the minute and should have been dropped after the Palace game.

March looks short of confidence. Bruno wasn't at his best, but NONE of them were any better, and we are half the team without him. Remember Bournemouth away and the nightmare Rosenoir had in the second half? Took him off last week around 75 mins and conceded another two goals.

We are one dimensional and I think we need to revert to 4-4-2 for the Burnley game, would like to see Baldock play for Gross.

Thoroughly p!ssed off, so going out, hopefully I'll calm down by tomorrow.......

I haven't criticised Bong, although I was surrounded by Bong haters in Block D of NS versus Liverpool. According to them, an occasional good challenge, was followed by passing to a marauding Liverpool player.

Similarly with Bruno, he's been fair to bloody good. I had thought that PL wingers would destroy him, but he defies his years.

Defence hasn't been our downfall. Brighton in department attacking lack quality, pace, unable to beat full backs and creativity.

TB better have the nameS lined up and the cheque book out at the very beginning of January, othewise his PL dream will fade over those last few hard fixtures.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here