Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Defending Set Pieces

Jimmy Grimble

Same problem as the year we finished 3rd in the Championship. Hughton signed Duffy last year to alleviate the problem but it's reared its ugly head again. Has to be down to the way we set up for them. Should be bread and butter especially for a side down the bottom like us who may well be relying on them to stay up.

IMO bringing everyone back isn't the way to go, but I know it's a Hughton policy. How do we sort it?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Same problem as the year we finished 3rd in the Championship. Hughton signed Duffy last year to alleviate the problem but it's reared its ugly head again. Has to be down to the way we set up for them. Should be bread and butter especially for a side down the bottom like us who may well be relying on them to stay up.

IMO bringing everyone back isn't the way to go, but I know it's a Hughton policy. How do we sort it?

We don't sort it. We grin and bear it. We haven't got enough players in the box to spare two on the posts as it is!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Earlier this season we looked very good from these but last few games we’ve really struggled. Such basic marking errors today is so frustrating.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don't think it's unconnected how poor we are at attacking corners compared with how poor we are defending them.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
We should be better at defending them. Sometimes the quality on the ball like coutinho last week is hard to defend but today despite being a decent routine we shouldn’t have a player standing on his own that close to goal

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I just wish we would like scoring when we have a set piece. I can't remember the last time we scored from a corner.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Opponents now have the dvd blueprint on how to easily defeat Brighton.

Come out of the blocks on fire, press and press again, and the goals will come.

Play ball down Bruno’s side free vend into the box

theboybilly

We missed Bong. Suttner was getting a bit of a hard time from Murray and Duffy. I was thinking while Huddersfield were preparing for the 2nd goal corner how this team doesn't seem so #Together at the moment. I hope it's just a phase

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We don't sort it. We grin and bear it. We haven't got enough players in the box to spare two on the posts as it is!

If Ryan isn't going to command his box from corners, and let's face it, he's not, then maybe we have to have a man on each post from corners.

That's not to criticise Ryan for all our defensive errors btw. The second today should have been saved, but we really shouldn't be leaving players unmarked from set pieces like we are at the moment.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Think partly it is down to Ryan not commanding the box. He is a great shot stopper, shame he isn't a little taller.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If Ryan isn't going to command his box from corners, and let's face it, he's not, then maybe we have to have a man on each post from corners.

That's not to criticise Ryan for all our defensive errors btw. The second today should have been saved, but we really shouldn't be leaving players unmarked from set pieces like we are at the moment.

Brighton are increasingly slow, tired, predictable and toothless in attack and creativity.

Putting immense pressure on the defence in Alamo tactics for 90 plus minutes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We've conceded 10 goals this season from dead ball situations. Worrying.
I know it's not Hughton's way, but maybe it's time to at least experiment with leaving our fastest player on the half way line at corners, to keep two of their's out of our penalty area? Having everyone back to crowd the penalty area doesn't seem to be working very well now that teams at this level are sussing us out. It's no use having ten players back if the goal scorer is still unmarked.

Yeh, yeh, OK, I know - we won't change...........

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I know it's not Hughton's way, but maybe it's time to at least experiment with leaving our fastest player on the half way line at corners, to keep two of their's out of our penalty area? Having everyone back to crowd the penalty area doesn't seem to be working very well now that teams at this level are sussing us out. It's no use having ten players back if the goal scorer is still unmarked.

Yeh, yeh, OK, I know - we won't change...........

Of course we should.

They push one up 20 yards closer at the moment and consequently have an easy time when the ball is cleared.

This is the one thing, I vehemently disagree with Chris Hughton on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why do the tactical analysis team not point this obvious defensive strengthening move out to CH? Our problem seems to be that sometimes Duffy and Dunk win rhe cross but the ball is then not cleared sufficiently and we suffer from the resulting pressure.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here