Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Defending Set Pieces

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Think partly it is down to Ryan not commanding the box. He is a great shot stopper, shame he isn't a little taller.

This. I really don’t wish to criticise Ryan, but he doesn’t command his area, Bruno doesn’t head the ball so every set piece/cross must be cleared by Dunk, Duffy or Murray. Moyes has had the same problem with Hart at West Ham, he’s played Adrian in the last 2 games against City and Chelsea and their back line has looked tight. Maybe give Krul a go and see if it breathes confidence back in to the defence.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why do the tactical analysis team not point this obvious defensive strengthening move out to CH? Our problem seems to be that sometimes Duffy and Dunk win rhe cross but the ball is then not cleared sufficiently and we suffer from the resulting pressure.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the tactical analysis team (do we really have one of those?) has pointed this out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the tactical analysis team (do we really have one of those?) has pointed this out.

I knew of our tactical coach when Gus was in charge so I assume that we do have a report about other teams as Liverpool did with Coutinho free kick under the wall. So what you are saying is that CH is too stubborn and ignores their findings.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
One would hope the 'tactical team' are on the case...but it doesn't look like it at the moment. I would give Krul a run: Ryan has done pretty well overall, but he's played a lot of games [including internationals] and needs a break. I would also rotate in Huenemaier and Goldson [1 by 1] to reduce pressure on Dunk and Duffy: the Ds have been immense, until the last few games, and they badly need a break. Also, if H and G have not been rotated in then, when we really need them [injury or suspension] they have no chance of performing well. Chris keeps saying he'll use the squad during this busy period: well, IMO, he used it in the wrong way yesterday... he should have rotated the defence rather than the strange set-up he went for.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do we really have the strength in depth to rotate the squad as many suggest, I dont think so every player mentioned by Raymondo would weaken the team considerably IMHO. and we cannot afford to take rthat chance at the moment unless you accept defeat in certain games and do it fior those games..

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
i find it hard to understand how it is that we start the game with Two RB yet fail to have one of them defending the far goal post from the corner for the first goal

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I knew of our tactical coach when Gus was in charge so I assume that we do have a report about other teams as Liverpool did with Coutinho free kick under the wall. So what you are saying is that CH is too stubborn and ignores their findings.
It has been clearly established on past threads that CH is adamant that he will not leave that fast player upfield; he does it his way, and his way is to pull everyone back. Stubborn, or single-minded and determined - take your choice.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I fail to understand when we have all 10 outfield players back for corners we have no-one on the posts

Exactly this. When the ten players we have in the area are failing to get clearing headers in, men on the posts are essential. If Bruno is reluctant to get involved in aerial duels, let him take a post.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem doesnt stop there as we sometimes, if we are lucky, manage to kick the ball clear but it is picked up by the opposition and hit straight back at us. Sometimes like yesterday it just reaches the edge of the box and is then put back in. We never clear the ball effectively as we were doing early season to start a breakaway.attack.

Jimmy Grimble

Same story.

Hughton's set piece tactics are wrong.

Will cost us more than signing a striker will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here