Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion v Palace: why Monday?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The so called Ultras won't be put off by the game being on the box. The only thing they are interested in is coming down in all their dodgy clobber, getting a pic online of them with their poxy little banner somewhere in the town mid afternoon when no-one's about. Then they all get on social media & gob off about how they "took Brighton".

Also, let's not forget the vandalism aspect the night before on Bruno's mural. All these little tags around the town make it pretty clear that the scum responsible for it probably live down here. Wouldn't surprise me if they tried something similar to brag about again on social media. Very childish immature scum is what we're dealing with here.

Monday night KO suits their agenda perfectly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They havent decided to inconvenience everybody as I am sure there will be a good attendance and those that cant make it because of work can watch it on TV. So it seems a sensible solution. but then I would say that as being an OAP Kick off times make no difference to me.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I spoke to the club this evening about the scheduling of this fixture, and they were happy for me to pass on points that came up in that discussion. As such, this is not a club statement, and is merely based on some quick notes I took...

As a Premier League club, the Albion need to be able to schedule any game at any time, and need to be able to manage the game safely and professionally; regardless of the opposition.

The timing hasn’t been dictated by TV scheduling or money – it’s worth c£140k to be on TV and whilst that's a nice amount, it's not particularly significant given the club's level of income currently.

Safety and security is always a priority, as it is for this game too.

Palace allocation: competition rules (15% away allocation) needs to be balanced with the safety and security issues/experience of the league game – and then agreement reached with Palace, The FA – and the local safety authorities. Whatever ticket allocation is given to Palace will be the maximum we get for any replay.

Another factor is transport, significantly transporting Palace fans home. There are rail engineering works on the weekend of 6/7 January meaning it wouldn’t be possible to arrange a special train post-match. One can be scheduled for the Monday. The special train moves a large group of Palace fans away in one go, and minimises risk of post-match trouble at the Amex and in town.

It is thought that scheduling a match like this on a working day and ahead of another working day does reduce drinking, both before and after the match.

Monday 8th will be the first day back to work for many after an extended Christmas break. With work following the day after, it is also believed that this will minimise the risk of people taking day off to drink before the game.

Playing the match on the weekend could mean the opposite for the 2 points above.

Live TV coverage on a cold Monday night will help to discourage fans without tickets from travelling to Brighton, and gives them no excuse if they do.

The vast majority of fans from both clubs came to watch the League game peacefully. Both clubs do not want to allow mindless individuals to dictate when the game should be played.

That last paragraph is a joke, surely?

Everything else you've written there tells us exactly that mindless individuals HAVE dictated when the game should be played :facepalm:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Monday night football is very inconvenient for those of us not in Brighton who have to work a 'normal' kind of day. So, no it doesn't inconvenience everybody but any weekday match is massively more hassle than weekend matches.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
They havent decided to inconvenience everybody as I am sure there will be a good attendance and those that cant make it because of work can watch it on TV. So it seems a sensible solution. but then I would say that as being an OAP Kick off times make no difference to me.

Of course there will be a good attendance, that doesn't mean it's convenient though. What if the KO time was 3 am so as to make it even safer, would that make any difference to you?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

So you've told us before :bla::bla::bla: :yawn:

D

Deleted member 2719

Not sure if I have missed something, but will there be some stiff sentences handed out for carrying and setting off small explosives within a stadium, before the FA cup game to make others think about the consequences?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Rubbish decision. Wish we had longer to prepare for WBA away. I might be in the minority but I hope we don't play all our big guns in any case. Give Kayal, Brown, Uwe, Hemed a start

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not sure if I have missed something, but will there be some stiff sentences handed out for carrying and setting off small explosives within a stadium, before the FA cup game to make others think about the consequences?
There haven't even been any arrests for that yet have there ?

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
What has happened to the club I love.

It's all namby pamby nowadays.

Pathetic Pathetic Pathetic Pathetic Pathetic.

FFS SOMEONE stand up to the Old bill and tell them MAN UP.

You're making our club look a joke.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That last paragraph is a joke, surely?

Everything else you've written there tells us exactly that mindless individuals HAVE dictated when the game should be played :facepalm:

Maybe I didn't write that correctly.

The point was, I think, that TV have selected the game and a lot of people are "woooooahhhhhh, we can't play on Monday night because it will all kick off and go mental" but the decision is we will play on Monday night, as selected, and not move the game to the widely predicted weekend lunchtime to avoid it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Maybe I didn't write that correctly.

The point was, I think, that TV have selected the game and a lot of people are "woooooahhhhhh, we can't play on Monday night because it will all kick off and go mental" but the decision is we will play on Monday night, as selected, and not move the game to the widely predicted weekend lunchtime to avoid it.

Who said it will all kick off if we play on a Monday night?

It's a game between two bitter football rivals. As with any 'derby' game, it's more likely to kick off than a run of the mill game, regardless of time and date.

Anyone can make any number of reasons why a certain ko time and date is less likely to encourage trouble than another ko time or date. You've just presented the Monday night option as the candidate for a whole host of reasons.

I still don't get how that is not letting the mindless few dictate the ko time and date, unless you're saying the TV companies have dictated the ko time/date and the clubs, FA and police have been brave enough to go with this because...The vast majority of fans from both clubs came to watch the League game peacefully. Both clubs do not want to allow mindless individuals to dictate when the game should be played.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I still don't get how that is not letting the mindless few dictate the ko time and date, unless you're saying the TV companies have dictated the ko time/date and the clubs, FA and police have been brave enough to go with this because...The vast majority of fans from both clubs came to watch the League game peacefully. Both clubs do not want to allow mindless individuals to dictate when the game should be played.

I think that's probably it, yes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here